The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Yeah, one way to restore our reputation across the league would be to have 99 as our GM. It would instantly raise our credibility and would also make it more appealing for players to come here.

I hope it is an option one day.

Not possible. Everyone knows that Bowness is a bum. I read it on CDC.

Did someone use a Jedi mind trick on Yzerman?

Now Bowness will tell Stevie Y all Van's secrets. Like how Gillis wants to trade him Edler for Hedman straight up!

Found couple interesting things from MacIntyre Column from a few days ago:

http://www.vancouver...3960/story.html

BIG D: Even without NHL head coaching experience, Eakins is a serious candidate for the Vancouver job. Thinking ahead, the Canucks apparently had their eye on American Hockey League coach Jon Cooper, who also had no NHL experience, until the Tampa Bay Lightning promoted him in March to replace Guy Boucher.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK: Which will happen first: Gillis hires a coach or another general manager hires Vigneault? The smart money’s on Vigneault if it’s true that Glen Sather was interested in Vigneault a decade ago before the Rangers’ GM hired Bryan Trottier. Sather somehow survived that fiasco in 2002 and subsequently promoted Ranger assistant Tom Renney in mid-season

Until he can contact Stevens, Gillis is expected to talk to Gulutzan, John Tortorella, Scott Arniel and others

EYE OF BEHOLDER: Todd McLellan probably would have jumped to the top of Gillis’s wish list had the San Jose Sharks’ coach not saved his job by sweeping the Canucks in the playoffs’ first round, then orchestrating a robust challenge to the Kings in the second.

McLellan is an excellent coach and one of the best in the league at dealing with the media. But it’s interesting that so many people who would criticize Vigneault for his playoff record in Vancouver (33-35) are smitten with McLellan (27-27). I'm not big on math, but a coach with a .500 playoff record averages a second-round appearance, which puts his team in the final eight out of 30.

BIG BIRD NESTING: Yes, San Jose associate coach Larry Robinson would be an intriguing choice to take over the Canucks. And no, he's not coming.

Robinson, the rare Hall-of-Famer who became nearly as good a coach as he was a player (so there is hope for Patrick Roy, but not much), made it clear during a chat with a couple of reporters during the Sharks' series against the Canucks that at 61 he's probably done with head coaching.Suffering stress-related headaches, Robinson quit in 2005 as head coach of the New Jersey Devils, the team he led to the Stanley Cup in 2000.

He agreed last summer to become McLellan's associate coach in order to be near his daughter and grandchildren in Los Angeles. "I did it and I think I cared too much and was too emotional and ouldn't turn it off," Robinson said of being a head coach in the NHL. "And it just ended up making me sick. I ended up with stress-related diseases and I'm not in this to die." Robinson, the rare Hall-of-Famer who became nearly as good a coach as he was a player (so there is hope for Patrick Roy, but not much), made it clear during a chat with a couple of reporters during the Sharks' series against the Canucks that at 61 he's probably done with head coaching. Suffering stress-related headaches, Robinson quit in 2005 as head coach of the New Jersey Devils, the team he led to the Stanley Cup in 2000. He agreed last summer to become McLellan's associate coach in order to be near his daughter and grandchildren in Los Angeles. "I did it and I think I cared too much and was too emotional and couldn't turn it off," Robinson said of being a head coach in the NHL. Doesn't sound like Vancouver is the place for him.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/05/30/hat-trick-reliving-the-daniel-penalty-crossing-off-coaching-candidates-and-canucks-buyout-situation/

2. Been getting lots of questions about Guy Boucher and whether he's on the Canucks list of coaching candidates. He's a bright guy, who Scotty Bowman was raving about in 2011 when his 1-3-1 was the league buzz. The word from back East is that Boucher is the leading candidate to replace Patrick Roy as the Quebec Remparts head coach. So, for now, he's not being considered here in Vancouver.

http://blogs.theprov...yout-situation/

Been getting lots of questions about Guy Boucher and whether he's on the Canucks list of coaching candidates. He's a bright guy, who Scotty Bowman was raving about in 2011 when his 1-3-1 was the league buzz. The word from back East is that Boucher is the leading candidate to replace Patrick Roy as the Quebec Remparts head coach. So, for now, he's not being considered here in Vancouver.

Hope this is wrong. Boucher is the smartest most interesting one out there. Why would he want to coaching the QMJHL instead of the NHL?

Doubt he gets hired. He's what this team needs but it won't happen.

No, he's really not what this team needs.

Prediction, Tortorella doesn't get another job as an NHL coach. That would say all you need to know about him.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/06/30-thoughts-penguins-desperate-for-inspiration.html

Elliot Friedman's 30 Thoughts. I won't post the entire article, just this:

6. Coaching stuff. Glen Gulutzan's interview with the Vancouver Canucks will be some time this week. I still think there will be more candidates (Kings assistant John Stevens, for example). But there is a growing sense they really like Dallas Eakins, who coaches the AHL Toronto Marlies. Word is Eakins will do a second interview with Vancouver.

Archived