The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Briere to be bought out by Flyers

We'd need to make other moves if we want to get another small player here. While I like to hear the guy is a ppg in the playoffs, folks the east plays a much more open style than the west come playoff time.

If MG does sign him (and I do like his creativity etc), we'll need to big bodies around him and another third line center.

Perhaps a Lou/Edler/Shroeder, our first to Philly gets us Coutourier/Laughton and a swap of firsts.

Effectively, Edler for Coutourier - fair deal both sides

Lou, Schroder, our first for Laughton and their first, a good deal for both.

Then move that first with Laughton to FLA for their first and draft Mckinnon.

Higgins and Booth to Isles for Matt Martin and a 3rd. Fills alot of holes for NYI (gives a good vet, who's from NY-Higgins), and a guy who when healthy would fit in well on the Isles in Booth.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Jensen Briere Kesler

Burrrows Coutourier Hansen

Gaunce Lappiere Martin

Our center depth becomes deadly

Eventually

McKinnon

Coutourier

Guance.

Team is built up the middle

Defense with Tanev and Corrado has youth capable of being on each top pair, would need to draft more

Goalies set

our core of the future done in a few small moves. and we are competing for the cup this year and next 3

I wonder if he'll sign a 1 year 2m contract or something like that on a contender. He's made enough money in his career so money isn't an issue.. he's an instant upgrade over Raymond.

Also, didn't he play some center early in his career before? we could always use some more centers.

Sedin - Sedin - Briere

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Gaunce - Hansen

Sestito - Lappiere - Kassian

I wonder if he'll sign a 1 year 2m contract or something like that on a contender. He's made enough money in his career so money isn't an issue.. he's an instant upgrade over Raymond.

Also, didn't he play some center early in his career before? we could always use some more centers.

Sedin - Sedin - Briere

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Gaunce - Hansen

Sestito - Lappiere - Kassian

People are clinging to shades of old Briere.

Yes he has an impressive history, leadership, and has been one of the best playoff performers this past decade.

But keep in mind he will be 36 next season and his last 3 years in Philly have seen him take a decline in stats, ice time, and health despite playing on one of the most offensively driven teams in the NHL.

In addition Briere is not a disciplined player he will take a lot of penalties and his defense makes the Sedin's look tenacious.

The one good thing about Briere in the past few years an impressive 15 goals and 7 assists in 22 games in the playoffs. Unfortunately many overlook the fact that he was a -13 even with those numbers.

I like Briere and he should still be in the NHL but even as a Flyers fan I have been pulling for the buyout. His offensive production has declined so much it no longer makes up for his other major flaws.

Archived