The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top Canadian Chocolate makers accused of price fixing

PlayStation

3 chocolate makers accused of price fixing

Competition Bureau charges Nestle, Mars in conspiracy

CBC News Posted: Jun 6, 2013 1:33 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 6, 2013 10:20 PM ET Read 133 comments133

The Competition Bureau has laid criminal charges against Nestle, Mars, and a company called ITWAL Ltd. for conspiring to fix the price of chocolate in Canada higher than it should otherwise be.

ITWAL is a national network of independent wholesale distributors.

The three companies, and three high-ranking executives who work for them, have been charged with conspiracy under Canada's Competition Act.

"Price-fixing is a serious criminal offence and today's charges demonstrate the Competition Bureau's resolve to stop cartel activity in Canada," said the bureau's interim commissioner, John Pecman.

The act allows for a fine of up to $25 million and/or imprisonment for a term of up to 14 years. "In this case, the conduct occurred under the former conspiracy provision and the accused face the possibility of a fine of up to $10 million and/or imprisonment for a term of up to five years," the bureau said in a release.

The bureau found out about the alleged scheme through its immunity program, under which the first party to disclose an offence or provide evidence may receive immunity, provided it fully co-operates.

Subsequent parties that help out in an investigation may receive lenient treatment. In this case the bureau says a fourth player, Hershey, came forward and co-operated, so the agency recommended to prosecutors that the company receive lenient treatment.

It is expected that Hershey will plead guilty for its role next June.

The individuals charged are former Nestle Canada president Robert Leonidas; Sandra Martinez, former president of confectionery for Nestle Canada; and David Glenn Stevens, president and chief executive of ITWAL.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/06/06/business-competition-bureau.html

Just watch, they're gonna come out with the whole, "Canada is so big... we gotta build infrastructure to send those chocolate across the country.... if you're gonna impede our business, we may be forced to close down and a lot of good middle-class Canadian jobs will be lost...."

lol

Come on really? This really ticks me off. Greed is disgusting. PLEASE throw the book at these clowns, hopefully some jail time.

I'll keep this in mind the next time I go out to buy candy (rare nowadays)

Next I hope they strike at mobile phone companies, and gas companies.

Get your chocolate fix by buying local. There's lot of independent chocolate shops. There's always Purdy's. I like how the IGA near where I work has Roger's chocolates in individual pieces. The dark chocolate with vanilla centre's is fantastic! And Purdy's has Hedgehogs!

Mmmmmm.

Come on really? This really ticks me off. Greed is disgusting. PLEASE throw the book at these clowns, hopefully some jail time.

I'll keep this in mind the next time I go out to buy candy (rare nowadays)

Next I hope they strike at mobile phone companies, and gas companies.

Well yes it is a big deal. They are taking advantage of people... For things that cost only $2... Hontestly how greedy can these people get?

Well they do raise millions in taxes for the government... With all the extra gas taxes, maybe thats your

reason.

Edit: wow

Nestlé pays $3.71 for every million litres of water it pumps from the local watershed, which it then packages in single-use plastic bottles and sells back to the public for as much as $2 million.

$3.71 turns into $2,000,000.

A mark-up of 53,908,255%. I checked it HERE just to make sure.

http://www.expressio...p-water-53.html

While the anti-health side (privatizing water? Are you ****ing serious?) of these corporations is absolutely appalling, in the end, it's just a damn chocolate bar.

I think we're directing our rage the wrong way here. How about we criticize these companies on how they're getting their cocoa from places using child slaves. I'm pretty sure we should be more worried about that instead of getting angry about taking an extra loonie out of your pocket to fulfill your Kit-Kat craving...

Those companies make crap chocolate anyway.

My current favourite chocolate bar company is this one:

http://www.barkleys.ca/page/1smyg/Kayer_Organic_Chocolate_Bars.html

kayer-bar_mockup-dark.jpg

350-gift-kayer.jpg

There's also a great little chocolaterie in Richmond (Inside Izumi-ya Japanese Marketplace) that makes fantastic stuff.

http://coconama.com/

large-home.png

But yeah, buy local high quality chocolate. It's WAY better than the chemical and filler stuffed mass market crap.

Get your chocolate fix by buying local. There's lot of independent chocolate shops. There's always Purdy's. I like how the IGA near where I work has Roger's chocolates in individual pieces. The dark chocolate with vanilla centre's is fantastic! And Purdy's has Hedgehogs!

Mmmmmm.

Archived