The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Team/Fanbase has the Best Culture and Tradition?

Offseason hockey shows all sorts of colors of the team, management, and fanbase, or for that matter, lack of it when the bandwagon is taking a pit stop. Divided opinions thrown around in haste or faith don't matter when there's not much hockey movement to prove anyone wrong. Even the sweet victory of being Stanley Cup Champions doesn't last long when free agency rolls around and all people can think about is doing it again. To an extent, it happens to all the teams.

But when it's time to put it on the line, some teams do garner more praise than others.

In your opinion, which current NHL team has the best Culture and Tradition? Not "who do you hate and who do you hate less".

Culture and tradition could be anything from an epic goal song, a chant, the Green Men, to something like the stoic legacy of the Red Wings or a reputation like Big Bad Boston. It can be how management treats their players, or how players, as in Vancouver, have an amazing charity schedule. It can be stories about how someone persevered or memorable locations (I, for one, love the Joe Louis Arena).

Culture and tradition is NOT which team's flag made fun of your mother in a comment thread or who wants to trade Burrows because he didn't get a hat trick last game. Culture and tradition has nothing to do with the bandwagon. It is something you see regularly and can expect to notice when the situation calls for it.

So what is/are your pick(s) and why? Feel free to pick more than 1 since sometimes it's hard to pick a clear favorite. No poll because 20 choice limit :sadno:

And for the hell of it, what teams lack a solid culture and tradition in your opinion? So little foundation that you wouldn't bat a brow if it were bought out and moved tomorrow...(to Russia????)

My votes go to Red Wings, Canadiens, and Canucks (homerism :lol: ). Red Wings for that strange feeling in Joe Louis Arena foreboding a big night, Canadiens because I think the logo is extremely fitting and timeless for an Original 6 team, and Canucks because because ::D ...

As for teams I know nothing about but pretend I do, the Lightning, Wild, and Flames all fall on that list somewhere.

I always felt that the Lightning were a strange presence in the NHL, sometimes even forgetting them and confusing how the SE division was ranking as a result (Panthers...trading buddies <3).

The Wild haven't been in the NHL for too long (despite having the North Stars before), but especially with that huge [almost obnoxious contract] purchase of Parise and Suter, it feels silly. I guess whatever culture I grew up with doesn't find blowing loads of money, regardless of how much you have, on something limited and shiny to be very classy at all. Not a fantastic cultural footprint.

Whereas the Flames...even though they've been around for quite awhile and have accomplished a fair share...Their culture and tradition, from what I've encountered, feels...uh...

Well, analogous to how I would feel going to a party where they played UNO all night, drank grape juice, told the most awful jokes, and the most fun someone had was calling "UNO"...and everyone gave you weird stares as if you weren't supposed to be bored.

So what's yours :D?

I think Montreal has the best combination of building atmosphere, fan base size, and history.

Toronto probably has the biggest fanbase, and Winnipeg has a great building and very enthusiastic fans. But Montreal is probably the best combo of all three. Plus their French status makes then unique.

Worst culture would go to teams like Florida and Phoenix. Not very many people would care or notice if they moved.

I was living in Montreal when Trudeau and Rocket Richard had their funerals and it's debatable which one was the bigger deal. They had an open casket viewing at center ice in the Molson Centre for Richard with lineups out the door and down the block. People were walking around the city dressed in black, businesses were closed. It was like a state funeral.

Chicago had around 2 million people at their Stanley Cup parade, that's pretty impressive....Chicago still looks like Baghdad and smells like a diaper, though, that isn't up for debate

Montreal has history on their side, but not really a "thing" that they do or made up.

Detroit has the octopi, Vancouver has the towels (though others do it to, we conceived the idea). Heck, even Florida has rats, though I'm not sure if they still do that.

I'd go with Detroit though.

Montreal has history on their side, but not really a "thing" that they do or made up.

Detroit has the octopi, Vancouver has the towels (though others do it to, we conceived the idea). Heck, even Florida has rats, though I'm not sure if they still do that.

I'd go with Detroit though.

I would say Detroit but its hard not to say Toronto when the can fail so miserably and still get the happy fan base they have. Get them to playoffs and they planned the parade route.

Still, I don't like Toronto as a city.... so Detroit.

i'd say the pathetic crowds we get at the rog and our media is what keeps people from saying culture and tradition in vancouver, outside of the towel gimmick. surprised no one's said philadelphia. great hockey city. philly crowds are always pretty rowdy. also a nod to the rangers. when you have MSG in your history, that certainly helps, but you just can't exclude montreal detroit, and dare i say it, toronto

I'm sorry for saying this, and I may get roasted for it...

Vancouver has a horrible fan base. Especially comparing to fellow Canadian and original six teams. It could be that we are a relatively young club by their standards, but there's little tradition.

Look at the whitecaps, there is a mob of people that walk the streets with flags and drums every game day. Whitecaps are less than ten years old, but that's passion about something that's not even our national past time.

I have friends here who are Detroit fans. They can't believe how we've treated Luongo during his career here. We totally Batmanned the guy and turned him into the villain. I'm not even a big Luongo fan, but I'd never bash the guy. I like him more now after this past season.

I'm sorry for saying this, and I may get roasted for it...

Vancouver has a horrible fan base. Especially comparing to fellow Canadian and original six teams. It could be that we are a relatively young club by their standards, but there's little tradition.

Look at the whitecaps, there is a mob of people that walk the streets with flags and drums every game day. Whitecaps are less than ten years old, but that's passion about something that's not even our national past time.

I have friends here who are Detroit fans. They can't believe how we've treated Luongo during his career here. We totally Batmanned the guy and turned him into the villain. I'm not even a big Luongo fan, but I'd never bash the guy. I like him more now after this past season.

Archived