The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Letang in Pittsburgh

Beautiful. Now the Pens have $25+ million locked up in 3 players. Way to handicap yourself and overpay for Letang who is overrated. He cant play defense first of all and his stats are inflated cause he passes the puck to Sid or Gino on the PP and they do all the work.

And this is the main legacy of the lockout and the new CBA that many people were worried about if there was a decreased player share without a roll back.

There will be a small percentage of stars eating up a greater share of the revenue while the average player will get less.

Nice work owners, nice work Letang. Pretty soon, in a few years, there will be no more money and no more cap space for the new stars because teams will have given it all away long term to guys like Letang.

No longer will the NHL be a league where the best players in the world play the most, it will be a league where the highest paid get played the most. If Letang doesn't earn it, the league is stuck with him.

I am sorry but does anyone in Pittsburgh not realize how much of an overpayment this is ?

That is a brutal contract, the player has inflated numbers being on the team he is and he is very one dimensional. He is not worth the same and now apparently more than the best allround defenders in this League.

There is a new CBA and the cap is going down, good signing lol.

Nearly every player gets overpaid in this era - it's just the climate that's been created via this league. He is not one dimensional...he is a huge part of that team's success. He's actually tied in 4th spot overall in points in the playoffs...top D man. He spends 27 and a half minutes a game out there...I'd say he's more valuable than you're making him out to be. But, with that, yeah. Holy hell.

I do realize that it's an overpayment...but it happens in this league. The Min has said it well. A product of the environment.

His contract doesn't kick in until next year (2014-15 season) and the cap will have gone up by then.

You know what's funny? Even with all these guys the Penguins have signed they have more cap space after next season then the Canucks do.

Penguins have $19.1 million (with 8 guys signed)

Canucks have $18.4 million (with 12 guys singed)

So who replaces him? Despite some of his defensive flaws he's still a top pairing defenseman who logs a ton of minutes and brings offense from the back end. It's definitely an overpayment but I think Pittsburgh really had no choice here.

Archived