The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Size is a huge issue to this fan base, but we really need to be more patient. we're talking about an 18 year old kid. there is plenty of time for him to get stronger and possibly grow a little more.

He's not even THAT small now at 5'10" 181lbs according to hockeydb. Another 10-15 lbs of muscle over the next couple years and he'll be fine, even at 5'10". If he gets taller and puts on more like 20lbs...even better.

He's not even THAT small now at 5'10" 181lbs according to hockeydb. Another 10-15 lbs of muscle over the next couple years and he'll be fine, even at 5'10". If he gets taller and puts on more like 20lbs...even better.

Same weight as Schroeder, 2 inches taller, 4 years younger and a lot more skilled.... I think he'll be just fine.

Same weight as Schroeder, 2 inches taller, 4 years younger and a lot more skilled.... I think he'll be just fine.

Alot of sites have him listed at 5'11" including the WHL site, so I'm not sure.

From my quick research, it seems pretty apparent that most prospects grow at least 1 inch after they're drafted. So Shinkaruk will likely be no less than 5'11" when he's done growing, possibly even 6 feet.

Add on 10 pounds of muscle over the next year or two and he'll be fine size wise. It's his speed, stickhandling, and intensity he needs to keep working on in order to become an elite player at the next level.

If you compare him to Lazar and Morrisey who are both 6 feet, I would say he's only about an inch shorter.

Walking around Lake Placid with the boys @cmcdavid97 @BoHorvat @CurtisLazar95 @petan19 @Morrissey_10 pic.twitter.com/9rmutrNDBv

— Hunter Shinkaruk (@H_S_9)

August 6, 2013

Schroeder has struggled more to adjust to playing against men than any promising prospect I can remember. Not a suitable example for the size doesn't matter argument, if he was 6'3 he'd have been on the Canucks for 2 years already. I like Shinkaruk's odds a lot more because he's a scoring winger, and you don't need size to be that.

Schroeder has struggled more to adjust to playing against men than any promising prospect I can remember. Not a suitable example for the size doesn't matter argument, if he was 6'3 he'd have been on the Canucks for 2 years already. I like Shinkaruk's odds a lot more because he's a scoring winger, and you don't need size to be that.

I think Schroeder has done fine adjusting. His numbers in the AHL are comparable to alot of other 1st round picks taken that year.

I think fans in this market overestimated how long it takes most prospects to reach the NHL. The fact that he's just now ready to make the NHL is not a knock on him, it's more of a situation where the Canucks had alot of depth so they were able to take the proper time developing him. He could have easily made the NHL in a market with much less depth last year, but it would have likely stunted his growth as a player.

Schroeder will be fine. All that's left for him is conquering the mental hurdle of being told he's too small. But I'm sure he's been told that his whole career, so I don't see it stopping him now.

I think Schroeder has done fine adjusting. His numbers in the AHL are comparable to alot of other 1st round picks taken that year.

I think fans in this market overestimated how long it takes most prospects to reach the NHL. The fact that he's just now ready to make the NHL is not a knock on him, it's more of a situation where the Canucks had alot of depth so they were able to take the proper time developing him. He could have easily made the NHL in a market with much less depth last year, but it would have likely stunted his growth as a player.

Schroeder will be fine. All that's left for him is conquering the mental hurdle of being told he's too small. But I'm sure he's been told that his whole career, so I don't see it stopping him now.

You mean the fact that our first round draft picks don't immediately play in the NHL isn't a complete reflection of terrible drafting? That doesn't sound right...

Alot of sites have him listed at 5'11" including the WHL site, so I'm not sure.

From my quick research, it seems pretty apparent that most prospects grow at least 1 inch after they're drafted. So Shinkaruk will likely be no less than 5'11" when he's done growing, possibly even 6 feet.

Add on 10 pounds of muscle over the next year or two and he'll be fine size wise. It's his speed, stickhandling, and intensity he needs to keep working on in order to become an elite player at the next level.

If you compare him to Lazar and Morrisey who are both 6 feet, I would say he's only about an inch shorter.

https://twitter.com/...3410688/photo/1

There was that official draftee size page that someone posted and it said he was 5'10 1/2, so that could be why there's 5'10" and 5'11".

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato 6m

#Canucks prospect Hunter Shinkaruk made it 5-3 with an empty-netter. Gaunce and Shinkaruk each with a goal and assist in Canada's win.

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato 12m

Correction on earlier tweet: Gaunce playing with Mantha and Rychel. Shinkaruk playing with Reinhart and Gauthier.

Game was against Finland

is it just me or does shinkaruk look "tall" on the ice? maybe its his skating stride or body proportions, Im not sure but he looks so much taller than he actually is.

gotta love that shootout video, he sure has a lightning quick release.

is it just me or does shinkaruk look "tall" on the ice? maybe its his skating stride or body proportions, Im not sure but he looks so much taller than he actually is.

gotta love that shootout video, he sure has a lightning quick release.

kopitar is like that also. kopitar is a short player but appears alot bigger on the ice

Archived