The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Haha dont you just love it when Cox starts to cry.

Haha ya man, he's quite the journalist.

Yeah but what about matching him to 18 year old Sam Bennett. That's the question.

Lol, that it is! He can never materialize in his career into the player that "18 year old Sam Bennett hockey god" already is right now

Damien Cox's saying that Cole being two years older then mcdavid is the main factor of success and downplaying him shutting him down. What about all the other 19 year olds this kid has burned? What a joke

Cole being older is definitely a factor but in this case a small one. Mcdavid is supposed to be this "hockey god" or the "next one", and he's getting shutdown.

I agree that he needs to give Cassels a little more credit but it's also a relatively valid point. Age tends to play a pretty large role in junior hockey and I'm certain it is playing at least a role here. A massive role? Nah, but you can't downplay it completely.

That being said, what is making Cassels so effective -- something no one else has been able to do all year -- is his fantastic hockey sense, and dog-on-a-bone mentality with regards to staying on McDavid at all times.

He reads the play so well and has been able to break up a number of Otters plays/passes throughout the game and it has been great to watch. He always looks like the smartest guy on the ice when he's out there. He sure as hell doesn't have McDavid's explosiveness or pure talent, but his hockey sense is so damn good.

Yup I agree, a factor. But he was blowing it outta proportion. And yes I agree as well, his hockey iq is tremendous. He is going to be fun to watch flourish in our near future

Cole being older is definitely a factor but in this case a small one. Mcdavid is supposed to be this "hockey god" or the "next one", and he's getting shutdown.

Yup exactly, but ya like I just wrote, he blew it out of proportion. Exactly like you said he's supposed to be a generational type player, Gretzky called him the best player in 30 years. And Cole is doin his job, sure is impressive.

The way I see it, if age is a factor, then why aren't kids McDavid's age anywhere near as good as he is right now? He's seemingly a couple years ahead of other players his age, in development. So yes, that age factor (Cassels vs McDavid) is a slim one.

I just looked at Cassels vs McDavid size/weight. Look it up and tell me Cole has the advantage. lol.

Great game is right!!!

Cole is really out thinking McDavid. Allowing teammates to check him and when they can't he is there to take care of business.

This ability to think a great game seems to be a quality this management team continued from GMMG! I realize all scouts want that, but it seems like few of our prospects excel in hockey smarts!

Boho, Gaunce, and now CoCa!

He hasn't even turned pro and you gave him the typical unimaginative nick name.

That's a standard nickname formula! Another hockey nickname generater is adding -sy to the last name. In this case it wouldn't work! Casselsy? Nah.

CoCa is much better!

Archived