The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Yeah, but the Isles are one of the last teams that needs to trade for more centers. Considering they have Tavares, Grabovski, Strome, Nielsen, Nelson, Cizikas and Lee already as centers they don't need to find someone like Cassels just because he played with Dal Colle.

Now, if Snow wanted to trade us Strome and Reinhart for Cassels, Corrado and Jensen, that's (at least a bit closer to) realistic and I'd be very happy to do it.

Lol they would never do that trade. Not even milbury would do that one.

This thread has become :picard:

And why can 180lb no-pullup 18YO step in and play but none of our prospects can until they hit 200lbs?

Devil's advocate (because I largely agree with you) but 18 year old Sam Bennett plays in a more offensive role than Cassels would. As a checking 4C, size is generally more helpful given the role.

Regardless, if he's currently around 185-190 I see very little issue with his size. Especially as he'll likely put on ~10lbs in the summer.

This thread has become :picard:

And why can 180lb no-pullup 18YO step in and play but none of our prospects can until they hit 200lbs?

Some scouts had Sam Bennett as the top prospect available in the draft. Everyone had him somewhere between 1-4. He has elite skill.

We haven't picked in the top 4 since the Sedins. They turned out pretty good too.

His skating is definitely his biggest weakness. If he can get stronger and a bit faster I see him being Uticas 2nd line center next season. He oozes leadership, just like a lot of our prospects.

Plus he does stuff like this

He reminds me of a Dave Bolland type player which would be great for us.

Cassels is already the same size as Bolland's playing weight, the player I hope he can compare to.

It isn't his size that will hold him back to begin with but his ability to close gaps at a faster tempo as his skating isn't elite. A year or so in the AHL will give him the reps to learn how to cheat on his body position to keep his defensive play effective. More work against pros in the dot would help too.

It's gold he's getting a chance to play at this game speed and intensity in the Mem Cup though. It's a good stepping stone to what he will see in the level of play. He's acquiting himself well so far.

I say that we keep Cassels and leave it at that.

After all, McDavid will be in Edmonton and having Cassels checking him in future Stanley Cup playoff match-ups will be the difference between winning and losing.

McDavid is 18 yearts old. Cassels is 20 years old. On to of that Cassels plays on a stacked team. Every one needs to calm down a bit.

Cassels will need a couple of years in the AHL before he even makes the NHL let alone being the difference between winning and losing a Stanley Cup playoff series while shutting down Mcdavid.

McDavid is 18 yearts old. Cassels is 20 years old. On to of that Cassels plays on a stacked team. Every one needs to calm down a bit.

Cassels will need a couple of years in the AHL before he even makes the NHL let alone being the difference between winning and losing a Stanley Cup playoff series while shutting down Mcdavid.

Other than MDC and maybe McCarron, who is a big name on Oshawa?

Regardless of ages mcdavid was ripping through the entire league without an answer. Until he hit the Cassel walls of Oshawa. For whatever his part in that Cole deserves some credit.

Archived