The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miles Liberati | D

IIlIlIIllIlIIIlIl

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato

Chatted with Canucks prospect Miles Liberati about the run the @OHLBattalion are on | via CDC | http://bit.ly/1iDAuWP

As for Liberati, this isn’t his first kick at the can when it comes to the OHL Championship. He won it last year with the London Knights. But last year he was a rookie on a deep team, only seeing action on a limited basis. This year he is more involved.

“For me personally, this year feels a lot more special,” he said. “I am playing in every game and contributing where I can, which gives you more of a special feeling knowing that you are helping your team.”

The trade to the Battalion earlier in the season seems to be working out just fine for Liberati, the Canucks seventh round pick last June. His overall game is drastically improving and his confidence level is high. He scored seven goals in his final 22 regular season games and has had an even or better plus/minus in 14-of-17 playoff games.

“I have been working a lot on my defensive game and playing in a defensive style of game here is helping me becoming more of an all-round defenceman,” said Liberati. “I definitely have a bigger role here; I am playing some penalty-kill, and I am playing on the power-play.”

We didn't see a lot statistically from him this year, but it's good to see he's fitting in on a team with a good system that allows them to win games. They'll be in tough against Guelph though to win the OHL championship.

We didn't see a lot statistically from him this year, but it's good to see he's fitting in on a team with a good system that allows them to win games. They'll be in tough against Guelph though to win the OHL championship.

Lol imagine if liberati started to steal games this series.

really cool to hear he feels his game has improved across the board along with actually getting mintues AND being used in all situations. for a 7th round pick described as an offensive defenseman, i find it really encouraging he's focused on improving what would be considered the weaker aspects of his game. Plus, he's the youngest prospect in our system right now; still has lots of time to get those point totals up!

So, I have a feeling North Bay won't be making it to the Memorial Cup... they got completely destroyed today by Guelph, 10-1. I mean, they're still in the series down 3-1, but you'd think that says something about the gap in skill between the two teams. Liberati's plus/minus also kind of went into the toilet with that game.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Figured it was a good time to bump this thread. ;)

Liberati's been on quite a run since December. 18 points in his last 23 games. Pretty impressive.

Probably deserved a little more attention than having this thread just sitting dormant around here for the past three months or so. Can't really fault Pimp C's intentions in creating (EDIT: unknowingly) a new duplicate thread on Liberati.

Haven't been hearing much on him so I'm surprised he has as much production as he does. What I've seen of him hasn't looked amazing in any way but he's a part of the offence in North Bay so he's finding some success. I don't have a lot of hopes for him to make it in the pros, but maybe he's figured something out about his game this year.

Do I remember it wrong or does he play a bit like our Weber?

Also, why has his point-production finally kicked in now?

Similar body types I guess, but Liberati's skating was more of a focus than his shot when he was drafted.

Having said that though, he did have 9 goals and 4 assists last year, and he has 7 goals this year so far, so he's doing something right in the shot department. His 16 assists this year is the big difference though, so it seems like he's starting to either get better time with more offensive players or he's taking better advantage of his opportunities. I'd guess a bit of both, but mainly the offence flowing through him more.

• 3 weeks later...

Has 10pts more this season than he had in his last 2 seasons combined.

I think he has skill but was buried by depth. I just don't know if he will be resigned he may very well re-enter the draft.

That was the idea from back when he was drafted, that he was behind a lot of talent in London and would get more minutes in his draft+1 year on a good team. It didn't really happen for him then, but he seems to have figured it out part way through this year after a slow start.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting up decent numbers, but seems like too little too late. He turns 20 in June, and plays with 2 21 year olds and a 19 year old. North Bay doesn't have a very young D core, so one would assume being older surrounded by older players would help your point total. Would love to see Utica sign him like they did Valk and give him some ECHL time just to see what he's all about at the pro level.

11 goals is nothing to sneeze at. He's been a plus player for most of his junior career too. I would like to think he gets a look at some point. They will probably send him back for his overage year like they did with McEneny though

11 goals is nothing to sneeze at. He's been a plus player for most of his junior career too. I would like to think he gets a look at some point. They will probably send him back for his overage year like they did with McEneny though

I hope that's the case. It would be nice to have a little more time to see what he's got without commiting to signing him just yet.

Archived