The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PK Subban: "Jordan’s skill level is much higher than mine"

TheRussianRocket.

http://m.insidetoronto.com/sports-story/3876150-etobicoke-s-jordan-subban-drafted-by-the-vancouver-canucks/

Last Sunday’s NHL draft was the Subban family’s third – and, as it turned out, the longest they had to stick around.

In the end, however, 18-year-old Jordan Subban was selected by the Vancouver Canucks in the fourth round, #115 overall. Going into the draft he was touted as No. 55 on NHL Central Scouting’s final list of the top draft-eligible North Americans released in April.

“Obviously I was hoping to go a little bit earlier, but it doesn’t matter how long you wait. I’ve waited 18 years for this day,” Subban said in an interview on NHL.com. “I’m just ecstatic that I’ve been given this opportunity to be part of an NHL organization. Being a Canadian team is the cherry on top.”

He’s got huge footsteps to follow. His 24-year-old brother, P.K., of the Montreal Canadiens, was recently awarded the James Norris Memorial Trophy as the NHL’s best defenceman.

P.K., in an interview with NHL.com prior to the draft, felt his younger brother, had as much or more potential than himself.

"Jordan plays more of a cerebral type of game and is more of a thinker and I play off my instincts and try to do a little bit of everything,” P.K. told NHL.com. “I think Jordan’s skill level is much higher than mine. I’m on the ice with him every day during the summer doing skill stuff, and he’s the one demonstrating the drill.”

P.K.’s draft experience was the opposite. He was selected in round two, #43 overall in 2007, rising from 102nd in the final pre-draft rankings.

Neither, however, were even the highest drafted in their talented Rexdale family. That honour goes to Malcolm Subban, drafted last year in the first round, #24 overall by the Boston Bruins. He was the top ranked junior going into that draft.

Both Jordan and Malcolm play for the Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League – as did P,K.

Their father is a longtime principal with the Toronto District School Board (TDSB), the last school year with Claireville Junior School in Etobicoke.

Another steal by the Canucks in this years draft; real proud of them for nailing this draft.

PK can hit.

Can Jordan?

That's one thing that interests me. I could really see pk rubbing off on him in the next few summers. Pk wants his brother to make it and he's going to do everything he can to help him do it.

Couldn't ask for a better 4th round pick. Kids brother that plays the exact same position just won the freaking Norris. I'm really excited to follow his development.

That's one thing that interests me. I could really see pk rubbing off on him in the next few summers. Pk wants his brother to make it and he's going to do everything he can to help him do it.

Couldn't ask for a better 4th round pick. Kids brother that plays the exact same position just won the freaking Norris. I'm really excited to follow his development.

everyone, get excited for this kid....his name is fedor federov

Jordan scored 51 points this season and was +22 at 18 years old - Gaunce scored 60 and was +10.

I could care less that he's undersized - he's already the size of some very successful NHL defensemen - and he has years to grow and develop.

Enstrom is 180lb, Brodin is 166 lbs, Karlsson is 175...Weaver is his size, and a shutdown guy, Timmonen is his height and about the size he'll likely be in a year or two...

Like Shinkaruk, a great choice that would have gone much higher were people not as obsessed with size.

Jordan scored 51 points this season and was +22 at 18 years old - Gaunce scored 60 and was +10.

I could care less that he's undersized - he's already the size of some very successful NHL defensemen - and he has years to grow and develop.

Like Shinkaruk, a great choice that would have gone much higher were people not as obsessed with size.

Exactly, similar numbers to josh morrisey, actually a little more but JS played in the ohl. If he wasn't 5'9 he probably would have went in the first or second round. If he grows 2 inches he could be one of the biggest steals of the draft

What's with everyone's pessimism. He was ranked much higher than we got him. Has top end skill and could still grow and be a great 4th round pick. Tanev wasnt as tall as he is now and Jordan's age.

I heard Tanev was around 5"3 when he was 18 then grew like a foot after. He must've took growth hormones.

Described by many as a late bloomer, Chris Tanev is on record of saying that he experienced a growth spurt really late in high school. It was then that hockey became a possibility for him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177354-vancouver-canucks-prospects-coverage-d-chris-tanev

That means Tanev did his growing before he turned 18.

Jordan has to get up and grow within the next year and two maximum to get up to 5'10".

He could do it and all is not all lost if his body can not do it.

The kid has offensive talent and that cannot be taught or bought.

Archived