The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sabres struggling to re-sign Hodgson, fielding offers for him

Considering my post was a response to a guy that just suggested that a 4th liner with "intangibles" is better than a 1st line center with more goals than , H Sedin, D Sedin, R Kesler, A. Burrows etc.. i think it makes plenty of sense in that bizarro context

Lol, you really don't have much hockey knowledge do you?

A player isn't gonna get the money he wants for half a season of success. These guys that are getting big money have proven themselves for years. And Lots of players outscored better players in this half season. It means nothing.

Hodgson is only a first line center because Buffalo's center depth sucks. Bunch of midgets and washed up players. It's not hard to get first line duty.

And yes, intangibles win cups in case you haven't been paying attention to the last 10 cup winners. You can have all the skill in the world, but without some grit and intimidation, it doesn't mean anything.

Or it would mean that he was traded due to loyalty to Ryan Kesler's ego and a boner over "bigger" since boston,

and that he's trying to negotiate a fair contract for a top line center in the top 50 of scoring at 23 yrs of age in a year that ryan clowe was given $$$$$$ and term after a 3 goal season.

Or it would mean that he was traded due to loyalty to Ryan Kesler's ego and a boner over "bigger" since boston,

and that he's trying to negotiate a fair contract for a top line center in the top 50 of scoring at 23 yrs of age in a year that ryan clowe was given $$$$$$ and term after a 3 goal season.

Perhaps you missed the giant, qualifying "IF" in capital letters. My comment was based entirely on the speculation, which I indicated may well not be true. Now, I was very careful in how I phrased my comment, leaving plenty of room for error, but perhaps you'd like to explain how trading Hodgson has anything to do with Kesler's ego? Maybe some sources? I love that, according to you, Gillis would go against what's best for the team based on one player's ego.

And as Deniro already mentioned, you bring up this "fair contract" after one decent, shortened, season. I'd love to see the contract you would have offered Jordan Tootoo after his sole 50 goal season.

Why is everyone still bashing this kid? He had every right to request a trade as any player in the NHL does. If he didn't like the management and didn't want to stay here, it's not his fault.

Let him be.

You're all probably just bashing him because Gillis got a bad return for him.. that's not his fault.

I'm sure if they got Milan Lucic back for him, everyone wouldn't give a crap.

Why is everyone still bashing this kid? He had every right to request a trade as any player in the NHL does. If he didn't like the management and didn't want to stay here, it's not his fault.

Let him be.

You're all probably just bashing him because Gillis got a bad return for him.. that's not his fault.

I'm sure if they got Milan Lucic back for him, everyone wouldn't give a crap.

Of course he has the right to request a trade. And fans have the right to judge him because of it.

I'm tired of people constantly building Hodgson into this golden boy superstar though. And acting like Kassian is a fourth line scrub, when really he's a young kid trying to learn the game, just like guys like Kesler and Bertuzzi did at his age.

Half seasons and impatient coaches haven't exactly been speeding up his development. And he doesn't have the benefit of being on a team with weak depth. So when people try to compare the two directly right now it's just stupid. It's like this trade will always be a superstar for a plug, and Kassian won't ever get any better.

Just dumb fans that need to be called out.

Of course he has the right to request a trade. And fans have the right to judge him because of it.

I'm tired of people constantly building Hodgson into this golden boy superstar though. And acting like Kassian is a fourth line scrub, when really he's a young kid trying to learn the game, just like guys like Kesler and Bertuzzi did at his age.

Half seasons and impatient coaches haven't exactly been speeding up his development. And he doesn't have the benefit of being on a team with weak depth. So when people try to compare the two directly right now it's just stupid. It's like this trade will always be a superstar for a plug, and Kassian won't ever get any better.

Just dumb fans that need to be called out.

Well that is something we will have to wait for to find out. Kassian may turn into a Bertuzzi style player, but that's something we will have to wait for and see, it's still up in the air. The reason myself and I know others, don't like the trade, is the fact we traded away a good prospect, who was showing the right signs of becoming the superstar people speak of. What we got back in return was a player who wasn't imo NHL ready like Hodgson was, and we were told and sold from MG, that we would be getting a player who was going to "help" us in our cup run.

It's not that I don't like Kassian, it's just something we still have to wait on, kinda like all the wait we had for Hodgson before. What we needed was a player who was really going to help us in our cup run, Kassian wasn't that guy. Hodgson would of been since he was NHL ready, but we didn't get that type of player in return who was NHL ready for the playoffs, it wasn't the right trade of players for the timing of the trade.

I don't mind Kassian, but he wasn't enough for Hodgson. Gillis could have gotten a much better return that could have potentially helped the team then instead of a guy like Kassian who will take a long time to develop into a capable NHLer. You never know, that upgrade could have been enough to beat LA and you never know what happens after that.. Gillis said that he got Kassian to "Help in the playoffs". Not going to find the direct quote but that was his reason. He felt Kassian would help more than a highly offensive young center stud like Hodgson was and that was his mistake.

I'm sure Kassian will be a pretty good player, but he's not helping now when this city desperately needs a cup. Hodgson was Buffalo's #1 center..

Give the kid a break. I wish the best for his career and I have no beef with Hodgson just because he requested a trade which was in his rights. He will be a very very good player.. Already is.. but I truly believe he'll hit 90-100 points in a season in his career.

I don't feel like Gillis tried to sell us anything with Kassian. I didn't think he was all of a sudden gonna come in and light it up for us after playing a limited amount of games in the NHL. Any fans that thought that were a little too hopeful I think. But alot of that came from what we gave up, which was a fan favorite at the time.

I really don't think having Hodgson or even getting another player would have made a difference to be honest. Our playoff hopes ended that year when Kesler was allowed to play injured, and Daniel was concussed. They just didn't have it that year, and LA was just way better than us.

I do agree with Gillis though, that if Kassian does develop into the player he's banking on, these types of players are almost impossible to get, and worth much more than a player like Hodgson for a team wanting to win in the playoffs. And I'm glad we still have a good young player with alot of promise to show for it. Rather than a player that may or may not have helped us, and may be off the roster now.

Archived