The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If luongo holds out...who's your starting goalie?

Lui's Knob

If Lu decides not to return, it may become the worst trade the franchise has ever had.

Back to the topic: Thomas is old and hasn't played in over a year He would be awful.

St. Louis has two starters, so possibly a trade with them. I can just see them asking for Bo. LOL

No, you're not getting it, and neither are others.

It was a business decision. It was about money. Long term.

In 3 years from now, Schneider will be making more money than Luongo.

It was easier to trade Schneider as he only had a 2 year contract.

Now, while we are on that, I still don't understand why another owner/manager wouldn't want Luongo's contract.

$5.3 million cap is manageable for a top goalie.

There's a rumour that Rask may get $7 million a year for 8 years!

BTW, Neely is still the worse trade ever in Canucks history.

If Luongo doesn't return, then we'll get another goalie or go with Lack.

I believe Luongo will stay.

If it was a 'business decision' Cory would have been traded long before the draft and Lu would not have been in the 'trade rumours' for over a year. MG painted himself into a corner and ended up being forced to trade the goalie he wanted. In a big hurry too; without ensuring that Lu would come back to Van.

Lack is coming off a serious injury/surgery and has never played an NHL game. This scenario could lead to the worst season for the Nucks in many years, which means another wasted year on our aging core.

This thread is purely speculation regarding Lu not returning. You may think he will, but that has nothing to do with the thread.

Nothing to do with this thread?

Yes, this thread is about speculation, and I speculate that Luongo will return so no, it does have to do with this thread.

BTW, I never said the way the Canucks handled the Luongo/Schneider situation was right. I agree, that was a travesty and completely mismanaged.

I just said it was the best decision in the end to trade Schneider.

As far as how quick Schneider was traded, there were other goalies available, and New Jersey had a draft pick we wanted, and they wanted Schneider - if we didn't say yes - then the Devils would have taken someone else...and we might be stuck with 2 goalies and have AHL players in front of them because we wouldn't have any cap space. So that, IMHO, would have lead to a far worse season than the one you are speculating on.

We don't have the cap space to offer sheet anyone successfully, only anger another team. Theodore is to often injured and never sold on Boucher after that one year.

There's a few good options out there but I don't see Lack as being the starter based on his injury. He will need serious conditioning time before lacing up for the league where as Eriksson played up until a month ago and is still ready to go.

Nothing to do with this thread?

Yes, this thread is about speculation, and I speculate that Luongo will return so no, it does have to do with this thread.

BTW, I never said the way the Canucks handled the Luongo/Schneider situation was right. I agree, that was a travesty and completely mismanaged.

I just said it was the best decision in the end to trade Schneider.

As far as how quick Schneider was traded, there were other goalies available, and New Jersey had a draft pick we wanted, and they wanted Schneider - if we didn't say yes - then the Devils would have taken someone else...and we might be stuck with 2 goalies and have AHL players in front of them because we wouldn't have any cap space. So that, IMHO, would have lead to a far worse season than the one you are speculating on.

So basically you're answer to "if lu holds out, who's your starting goalie' is: Lu. OK.

I was suggesting that if MG knew all along that he would trade Schneids (as a business deal), he should have started offering him up long before the trade deadline. Instead, he held onto the notion that Lu would get a good return (which most people knew wouldn't happen long before the trade deadline) and was forced to make a panic move.

I agree that (in the end) trading Schneids was 'the best decision' as it was the only decision.

Archived