The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's Totals

-AJ-

in all sports its all about what you do in the playoffs.... regular season numbers are nice to look back at but it dont mean a thing if you aint got that ring.....every year there is 1 team of champions and 29 teams of losers... Lu has been a loser in the NHL for 13 years.. and the canucks have been a losing franchise for 43 years..... the first goalie that comes in and doesn't melt down in the playoffs and wins us a cup will be the greatest goalie this team has ever had... even if whoever that may be only plays for that 1 championship season ..Lu's regular seasons numbers behind one the the highest scoring teams in the worst division with the easiest schedule wont mean a thing........ you guys can all go wait on the road for the Luongo accomplishment parade route , but you might be waiting a while seeing is how they only have them for champs... what are you guys going to bring up next to pat this guy on the back his poker stats?

I've always said this - Luongo will be a top-5 all-time NHL goaltender once he's done. He's just about to pass Roy in shutouts, will most likely end up 3rd behind Roy and Brodeur in wins.when it's all said and done. Cups aside, we have a future goalie legend on our team. Practically top-3 all-time, that's like the equivalent to having a Lidstrom.

Two points as a rebuttal:

I have never heard of a 'goalie legend' who hasn't delivered at least one championship. 'Goalie Legends' set their reputations in the playoffs. Lou has a playoff reputation, but it's one of inconsistency.

Regular season has never been worth so little. Shootout 'wins' give goalies a 50% chance for a win when it was a guaranteed tie in the old days. Luongo can win all the regular season games he wants, he will never compare to Patrick Roy.

I have never heard of a 'goalie legend' who hasn't delivered at least one championship. 'Goalie Legends' set their reputations in the playoffs. Lou has a playoff reputation, but it's one of inconsistency.

Regular season has never been worth so little. Shootout 'wins' give goalies a 50% chance for a win when it was a guaranteed tie in the old days. Luongo can win all the regular season games he wants, he will never compare to Patrick Roy.

Once Roberto comes close to Patrick's playoff win totals, then we MIGHT have a discussion. If Marty Brodeur can't catch Patrick Roy after playing in 5 separate Stanley Cup Finals, Lou has basically no chance of catching him.

You're comparing Roy's teams to luongos? ROY PLAYED IN A NO SALARY CAP ERA. HIS TEAM WAS ALWAYS STACKED.... stacked to the point that most teams couldn't even come close to when it came down to the dollars.

Put lui on Roy's teams and he wins the exact same # of cups.

Luongo is also playing in a different era, Grant Fuhr for example won the cup one year with a 3.12GAA because his team was able to go down and score 6 or 7 goals if they wanted to. No goalie today is winning with a GAA that high

The 1986 Montreal Canadiens were a stacked team? Ok man, whatever you say.

I guess the team was so good that after they won the Stanley Cup, they decided to give the Conn Smythe Trophy to their call-up rookie goaltender just for fun.

You have no idea what you are talking about, so please stop.

Once Roberto comes close to Patrick's playoff win totals, then we MIGHT have a discussion. If Marty Brodeur can't catch Patrick Roy after playing in 5 separate Stanley Cup Finals, Lou has basically no chance of catching him.

Funny how you only bring up one of the four(?) cups Roy has won? What about the other 3 in which Apollo makes a valid argument. Or you could argue that if you were to take Luongo during his first playoff year (vs Dallas and Anaheim if I'm not mistaken) and replace him with Roy's first playoff year with Montreal and Luongo wins the cup on that team as well. Not a perfect comparison I realise. If you're going to counter someone's argument and tell them they have no idea what they're talking about at least don't ignore 3/4 of the post you can't argue with (ie. Roy's cup wins with Colorado).

You Luongo haters are starting to annoy me as Luongo is my All-Time favorite player even before he came to the Canucks but I'm not as vocal about it as Tiger or apollo. SO getting back to the topic it is very hard for Luongo to get 151 playoff wins when his team only got to the playoffs 7 times in his 14 NHL season.

That's one of the worst statements I've ever heard. Ward would have 0 cups in vancouver and zero president trophies and would have been out of town by now. Put lui in for ward when he won the cup and the canes would have won it even more easily.

Luongo is the fourth greatest goalie of all time.

Luongo is also playing in a different era, Grant Fuhr for example won the cup one year with a 3.12GAA because his team was able to go down and score 6 or 7 goals if they wanted to. No goalie today is winning with a GAA that high

Funny how you only bring up one of the four(?) cups Roy has won? What about the other 3 in which Apollo makes a valid argument. Or you could argue that if you were to take Luongo during his first playoff year (vs Dallas and Anaheim if I'm not mistaken) and replace him with Roy's first playoff year with Montreal and Luongo wins the cup on that team as well. Not a perfect comparison I realise. If you're going to counter someone's argument and tell them they have no idea what they're talking about at least don't ignore 3/4 of the post you can't argue with (ie. Roy's cup wins with Colorado).

Archived