The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Mainly Mattias

no kidding. lol. trying to have to think of of new angles to write about.. not being appreciated for your writing.. geez, would have to have a thick skin. but maybe radio/tv might be better.. cbc had huge cutbacks so there's really no job security there. have to think about what the career path would be too. steve darling made the successful jump from sports to anchor in the global re-org but he seems to be the exception to the rule. everyone else seems to have been doing the same thing for years.. which is good on the job security front but bad for incoming new hopefuls and for general career advancement. anyway, just chattering, not knocking it, Maxy. seems like a fun job, getting to travel, interview players, being behind the scenes.

if you do go down that path, it may be an idea to start a sports blog/twitter/youtube channel and to already establish a portfolio by the time you graduate. social media has been forced upon sports news people. for this generation, it's going to be an expected skill..

no kidding. lol. trying to have to think of of new angles to write about.. not being appreciated for your writing.. geez, would have to have a thick skin. but maybe radio/tv might be better.. cbc had huge cutbacks so there's really no job security there. have to think about what the career path would be too. steve darling made the successful jump from sports to anchor in the global re-org but he seems to be the exception to the rule. everyone else seems to have been doing the same thing for years.. which is good on the job security front but bad for incoming new hopefuls and for general career advancement. anyway, just chattering, not knocking it, Maxy. seems like a fun job, getting to travel, interview players, being behind the scenes.

if you do go down that path, it may be an idea to start a sports blog/twitter/youtube channel and to already establish a portfolio by the time you graduate. social media has been forced upon sports news people. for this generation, it's going to be an expected skill..

heard that welding and hvac always had jobs. that was around 10 years ago though so who knows what the job prospects are now. if you know how to scuba, maybe you can do marine welding. maybe then you can avoid the awful welders smell that permeates through the gloves. it'd be great if someone on cdc could share opinions on those industries for all of us..

I would absolutely love being a play by play guy for hockey, but I don't think I have the voice for it. This makes it very hard to make it since I wasn't a player (Weekes, Crawford, etc...).

Ya, I only really have career videos on youtube to go by.

I just want something that is in demand on the island, stable and the salary is enough to live a comfortable life.

Welders have some bad smelling hands, do they?

Camosun has the Refrigeration/Pipe Trade program there, and it gives you the fundamentals to branch out into 7 different sub trades i.e HVAC, Geothermal Tech, Gas Fitter, etc. That actually sounds pretty good seeing as how big that Geothermal stuff is getting.

I have to upgrade my math. The math I took way back isn't even recognized any more. Is the Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 11 the lowest level of Math 11? I think that's what I need to upgrade.

Kids, study....10 years later my high school transcripts are biting me in the arse.

I weld alot at work and have never noticed my hand smelling to be honest maybe you just have smelly hands? Also I think I'm going to try and get a boilers ticket because my company right now is offering the course for me and I have all the firing time for it.

Edit I can get the firing time as my work has a boiler.

for 'some' people its an illusion, others are genuinely happy and do have their sh!t together. i'm one of those goofs that smoked too much weed and went straight to university after highschool not having a clue what I wanted to do. wasted 2 years hoping to get into the faculty of business, but my gpa wasn't acceptable so I escaped SFU with a psychology degree after 5 years.

now just finishing my 6th year out of highschool i'm still working as a lifeguard and working towards becoming an accountant. I hope I can move out of my parents place by the time im' 25.. or.. before 30

History 12 opened my eyes to the world of history and politics. Good thing it came up, because my math and science skills were absolutely atrocious in high school. With that, I was 100% certain with what I wanted to learn in university. I'm entering my third year now majoring in Political Science and International Relations. I'm still in a little bit of fear with all the stereotypes that are attached with Arts degrees and low job prospects, but I know with hard work, I'll be able to get that job in the public sector that I've always wanted since I started to get interested in this kind of stuff.

But there's a lot of good advice in this thread so far. If you don't know what you want to do, don't waste thousands of dollars on post-secondary just for the sake of going to school. Go work and explore your options, taking a break from school is never a bad thing as long as you know what you're doing and making your time off productive.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to have fun. To anyone just getting of high school or already in university/college. It's okay if you don't know what you want to do in the future. Don't worry about that so much and go out and drink and party, or whatever you like doing. Just by your age, you have a legitimate reason to screw around. Focus on your work when you need to, otherwise, go nuts. Because you're never going to have time to do that when you actually start to settle down later in life.

Archived