The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Olympics] OFFICIAL TEAM CANADA 2014 (everything related here please)

I'm more surprised that Mike Richards didn't make the cut. Played great with Bergeron in a shutdown role, in 2010 and he has a ton of chemistry with Carter.

I guess they didn't want those two to party it up in Sochi after games.

Bergeron played 3 minutes in the gold medal game. Richards played with Toews and Nash and they were great in a shutdown role

I think they HAVE to bring back that dominant Perry - Getzlaf - Benn line from the WC last year or the year before, utterly dominant.

TBH, I'm shocked that Hamhuis made it, he's been sub par this year.

I though Staal was a lock and his linemate Skinner a possibility, I guess team Canada isn't rewarding the guys who show up for the WC every year.

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos

Tavares - Toews - Sharp

Perry - Getzlaf - Benn

Duchene - Bergeron - Carter

Marleau, Nash

Keith - Weber

Bouwmeester - Doughty

Subban - Pietrangelo

Hamhuis, Vlasic

Price

Luongo

Smith

Congrats to all players. It's an exquisite class. Canada's "B" roster is still impressive and competitive so to actually make the team is a real accomplishment.

Giroux is a bit of a surprise omission to me. But you can't go wrong with any name on the list. Now it'll be about working up chemistry between players and getting the job done at key times.

Good luck to all

Kunitz-Crosby-Carter

Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry

Nash-Tavares-Stamkos

Benn-Toews-Sharp

Bergeron

Scratch: Duchene

Keith-Doughty

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

Hamhuis-Weber

Vlasic

Scratch: Subban

Luongo

Price

Scratch: Smith

PP1 (playmaking): Carter-Crosby-Kunitz

Doughty-Keith

PP2 (shooting): Perry-Getzlaf-Marleau

Stamkos-Weber

PK1: Bergeron-Benn-Keith-Doughty

PK2: Toews-Carter-Vlasic-Weber

-Nobody's going to click with Subban, hence the scratch. Keeping it a west-only D when healthy only makes sense.

-Carter is being massively underrated. A big, fast sniper who doesn't shy away from contact? Yeah, who needs that...

-I wouldn't put Stamkos with Crosby. Too much expectation with that duo. Put Stamkos on a more-sheltered line with Tavares instead. Esp. if he's coming back from a bigtime injury.

-Benn is also being underrated. I'd have him in ahead of Duchene by go time. A better 2-way force who can win some big faceoffs. He's this years' Mike Richards with Toews.

-I'd consider giving Bergeron a bigger role if someone (like Tavares) struggles.

-Luongo will be much better this time as long as he doesn't get run over all the time.

-Vlasic can easily replace J-Bo or Hammer if they are faulty.

-If Weber looks too slow for international ice, then put in PK.

We have options and they're all good. In the end, it'll depend on health. I don't think Sid's truly 100% for starters.

Not crazy about Carter, Marleau, Kunitz or Nash. I would rather have seen the speed of Giroux, Seguin, St Louis, etc. I wonder if the braintrust thought that it would make us too small?

I really hope we learned something from Torino, but we'll have to see.

BTW: "The rest of Canada" can suck it. Hamhuis deserves his spot. It's only hyper-critical Canuck fans and Canuck haters who don't see what he brings to the table.

Kunitz-Crosby-Carter

Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry

Nash-Tavares-Stamkos

Benn-Toews-Sharp

Bergeron

Scratch: Duchene

Keith-Doughty

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

Hamhuis-Weber

Vlasic

Scratch: Subban

Luongo

Price

Scratch: Smith

PP1 (playmaking): Carter-Crosby-Kunitz

Doughty-Keith

PP2 (shooting): Perry-Getzlaf-Marleau

Stamkos-Weber

PK1: Bergeron-Benn-Keith-Doughty

PK2: Toews-Carter-Vlasic-Weber

-Nobody's going to click with Subban, hence the scratch. Keeping it a west-only D when healthy only makes sense.

-Carter is being massively underrated. A big, fast sniper who doesn't shy away from contact? Yeah, who needs that...

-I wouldn't put Stamkos with Crosby. Too much expectation with that duo. Put Stamkos on a more-sheltered line with Tavares instead. Esp. if he's coming back from a bigtime injury.

-Benn is also being underrated. I'd have him in ahead of Duchene by go time. A better 2-way force who can win some big faceoffs. He's this years' Mike Richards with Toews.

-I'd consider giving Bergeron a bigger role if someone (like Tavares) struggles.

-Luongo will be much better this time as long as he doesn't get run over all the time.

-Vlasic can easily replace J-Bo or Hammer if they are faulty.

-If Weber looks too slow for international ice, then put in PK.

We have options and they're all good. In the end, it'll depend on health. I don't think Sid's truly 100% for starters.

What makes you say that? He's having a Hart calibre year again.

Not crazy about Carter, Marleau, Kunitz or Nash. I would rather have seen the speed of Giroux, Seguin, St Louis, etc. I wonder if the braintrust thought that it would make us too small?

I really hope we learned something from Torino, but we'll have to see.

BTW: "The rest of Canada" can suck it. Hamhuis deserves his spot. It's only hyper-critical Canuck fans and Canuck haters who don't see what he brings to the table.

Carter has proven he owns the international stage......Kunitz is the beneficiary of a new approach that looks at pairings as much as individuals.......in that same vein, I would say Stamkos is an absolute longshot, or else St Louis would have been a lock. A little surprised at Nash over Giroux, but Nash has proven to be a big time player for Canada over the years, he's the new Ryan Smyth. Seguin will get his chance, just not yet. They've got a lot of youth in this lineup, he was passed over for a vet like Marleau.

I was a little surprised about Hamhuis, but I think that he's there because he's a pretty well rounded, reliable dman and an excellent teammate. I'm glad he's there to bring some stability for guys like Keith, Doughty, Subban etc.

Carter has proven he owns the international stage......Kunitz is the beneficiary of a new approach that looks at pairings as much as individuals.......in that same vein, I would say Stamkos is an absolute longshot, or else St Louis would have been a lock. A little surprised at Nash over Giroux, but Nash has proven to be a big time player for Canada over the years, he's the new Ryan Smyth. Seguin will get his chance, just not yet. They've got a lot of youth in this lineup, he was passed over for a vet like Marleau.

I was a little surprised about Hamhuis, but I think that he's there because he's a pretty well rounded, reliable dman and an excellent teammate. I'm glad he's there to bring some stability for guys like Keith, Doughty, Subban etc.

Yeah, I've never really been sold on the old "he's been great in the World Championships" routine. (Smyth is the perfect example, BTW) As far as I'm concerned, the guys who are still playing in the NHL when these guys are at the WC's, are the guys you want....

Archived