The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Olympics] OFFICIAL TEAM CANADA 2014 (everything related here please)

Yeah, I've never really been sold on the old "he's been great in the World Championships" routine. (Smyth is the perfect example, BTW) As far as I'm concerned, the guys who are still playing in the NHL when these guys are at the WC's, are the guys you want....

I thought Nash was the best player for Canada in 2010 while the rest of the team struggled early on.

Don't know if its been asked, but, can others such as Giroux draw into the line-up through injuries? I seem to recall Jeff Carter being in the wings here in Vancouver. In fact saw him walking down the street with a tall coffee. I would think that Giroux would be the first guy up.

I really love this team, I really don't think there were any snubs other than taking Smith over maybe Fleury but the 3rd Goalie never sees the ice anyways.

Here are my lines if I am the coach!

Kunitz Crosby Benn (size and hands that can create room for those guys, get to a spot and just hammer them home like Shanny used to)

Nash Tavares Stamkos (playmaker between two pure goal scorers, Nash comes with experience at the Olympics to help settle these two down)

Marleau Getzlaf Perry (nothing needs to be said here, terrific mix of skill)

Sharp Bergeron Toews (nothing needs to be said here)

Subs: Duchene/Carter (subs in for Stamkos if he can't go)

Hamhuis-Weber

Keith-Doughty

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

Vlasic

Subban

Luongo

Price

Smith

So they include Kunitz to keep Crosby line chemistry and ditch Martin ST Louis who is the best play maker Stamkos can ever wish for.

:sadno:

stamkos might not be ready. They named him now so in case he is ready, he can still go.

kunitz is playing well, versatile. He also has chemistry w getzlaf and Perry. St Louis had his shot in 2006.

I wouldent of taken Kunitz...Means Crosbys line is the 2nd line behind the Toews line

Sharp-Toews-Stamkos

Kunitz-Crosby-Tavares

Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry

Benn-Bergeron-Nash

Keith-Weber

Boumeester-Pietrangelo

Hamhuis-Doughty

Lu

Price

Smith

i like these lines very nice choices imo

So based on chemistry from NHL and players who have played together before in previous tournaments:

Kunitz - Crobsy - Stamkos/Nash

Tavares - Toews - Sharp/Carter

Benn - Getzlaf - Perry (played together in the WC)

Marleau - Bergeron - Sharp/Carter

Duchene

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos

Getzlaf - Tavares - Perry

Sharp - Toews - Nash

Marleau - Bergeron - Carter

Benn, Duchene

Keith - Weber

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Vlasic - Doughty

Subban, Hamhuis

Luongo

Price

Smith

Love this although I would swap Benn for Marleau and Duchene for Carter on the 4th line.

Someone please explain to me why Mike Smith is on the team instead of Fleury?

Fleury has a Cup ring and Gold medal as a 3rd string goalie already. He has far superior numbers to Smith this season and is much better in the clutch - look at his playoff stats.

Fleury: 24-10-1 with a GAA of 2.23 and save % of 0.919 with 3 shutouts.

Smith: 15-10-8 with a GAA of 2.89 and a save % of 0.911 with 1 shutout.

Fleury may be on the better team, but at times this season the Pittsburgh defence has been ALL AHL players, and that's not an exaggeration. Their defence has been obliterated at times for long stretches and Fleury kept them in games. Meanwhile Smith is playing with a much easier defensive system for a goalie and still getting shelled.

Not that a 3rd string goalie matters too much but Fleury should be on this team pushing for starter, not Smith.

Archived