The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

( Article ) The most interesting man in Vancouver

shinkaruk98

Just to be clear this came from Eklund's site so take it anyway you want to , just thought it was interesting. http://www.hockeybuz...04#.UfhPCdI3tOF

The signing and hockey action has died down for the summer as the month in which NHL GMs usually take their summer vacations approaches, so I thought today might be a good day to take a look at a player who I consider to be the most interesting man in Canucks camp.

Zach Hamill was signed less than a week ago in what may turn into Mike Gillis best acquisition. And besides, even if he never dresses for Vancouver, it's not like they used a first round pick on the guy or anything.

Back in 2007, NHL Central Scouting had this to say about Hamill

"Playmaking forward with good stick-handling ability, very good on special teams, especially the power-play, and as someone who sees the ice well and sets up his line mates with his good passing abilities."

Other reports went on to rave about his character and bill him as a No. 1 or 2 centre down the road.

Well, a lot has happened since 2007. Hamill never really did fit in out in Boston and he bounced around between two other organizations as well last season. The main reason: his skating – or at least that’s what I've read.

So than why is this NHL "bust" considered my most interesting man in Vancouver?

The reason, I've always thought he could be a better player than he's been to date. Now, I'm very likely nuts on this one – after all, I loved his skill, leadership, grit and character in Junior and I've always pulled for B.C. players – but this is the type of guy that I can see Gillis and Torts getting something out of.

Hamill is this year's Ebbett, Rome, Barker, Tambellini, Wellwood, etc…

He's the guy that no one wanted, who Vancouver is going to get something out of and that makes him interesting to me.

I see him getting a fair shot at playing the third or fourth line centre role. If he can win faceoffs and finish checks, he has a very solid chance of making the team out of camp. And building upon that, he very likely has more skill than a lot of the bottom-six guys and he should be able to slot into the second power-play unit if needed.

If the rumours are true about his partying, and I think they are (he did after all grow up in PoCompton), then he is a long shot to make the team out of training camp. If the Nucks get him some much needed counselling, then... never mind, I really don't see it happening--at least not sticking with the team.

Really liked this signing. It's never a bad idea to sign someone with raw skill and that's what Hamill has (evidently by his draft position)

I heard rumors he's had trouble with substances/alcohol but that's just a rumor. Hope he turns it around in his home province

His foot speed and lack of physical play, along with the rumours about his mentality for the game and life, are what have held him back form being an NHL player. If he'd had those things put together a bit better, he might have had more opportunity to find and showcase his offensive ability. As it stands, he'll be in the AHL until he figures at least two of those three things out.

Based on the rumours about ths guy, I find it interesting that Gillis even signed this guy. Gillis has consitently preached wanting quality people for the community in the organization. Outside looking in, this almost looks like the opposite kind of signing, more like a Shane O'Brien type.

There must be more to this than what we actually are able to see.

Most of you fanboys are a bit too excited. Sorry to break it to ya but Hamill will most certainly play all of this year in the minors unless if our whole bottom 6 gets injured. He's lucky he even got signed and this is just an AHL signing. If he finds his stride, good on him and MG; if not, no harm done.

That article from Eklund's site glosses over his off-ice antics.

The reason nobody wants him is because of 'character issues'. Gillis talks about 'character' then he picks this guy?

Everyone alludes to the fact that he's a former high 1st round pick - but it was in a very weak 2007 draft.

The 2nd round turned out to have better, more established players over-all, than the first.

Most of you fanboys are a bit too excited. Sorry to break it to ya but Hamill will most certainly play all of this year in the minors unless if our whole bottom 6 gets injured. He's lucky he even got signed and this is just an AHL signing. If he finds his stride, good on him and MG; if not, no harm done.

Archived