The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If there's an expansion draft, who do you protect?

мeтpо

Seattle and Portland are my guesses.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/09/18/nhl-lockout-is-all-about-the-benjamins-and-who-doesnt-have-them/

New Jersey has missed interest payments, not including the the actual payments on it's debt. Phoenix we know is bleeding money. The real question is who is making money? It would seem that Canadian teams make money as last report I've heard despite only having 7 of the 30 teams, Canada supplies over half the NHL's revenues.

The NHL keeps thinking the bigger it gets the more likely a big TV deal will appear. Wrong. Until the NHL gets on ESPN in the US, it will have less exposure than the other major sports. What the NHL needs stronger markets, not more markets. The NHL wants to follow the NBA model, which is stupid because the NBA despite it's big tv deals plays musical chairs with it's franchises. If there's a model the NHL should be following is the NFL. Lots of exposure, lots of coverage. I'd give ESPN a sweetheart deal for 3 seasons. Then each renewal, work together with them and gradually increase the contract amount. Grow the sport, stop trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

The NHL keeps thinking the bigger it gets the more likely a big TV deal will appear. Wrong. Until the NHL gets on ESPN in the US, it will have less exposure than the other major sports. What the NHL needs stronger markets, not more markets. The NHL wants to follow the NBA model, which is stupid because the NBA despite it's big tv deals plays musical chairs with it's franchises. If there's a model the NHL should be following is the NFL. Lots of exposure, lots of coverage. I'd give ESPN a sweetheart deal for 3 seasons. Then each renewal, work together with them and gradually increase the contract amount. Grow the sport, stop trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

Assuming the expansion is for next season, I would save:

Goalie: Lack

Forwards: Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, Burrows, Kassian, Hansen, Higgins, Schroeder, whoever (not Booth)

Defense: Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev

Assuming the NHL announces the expansion early in the Season, I would keep Corrado in the minors this year so he stays off our active roster. They aren't picking up Luongo, because of the financial risk (especially for an expansion team). And let them take Booth's contract off our hands if we cant trade him before the deadline. We can use the $4.2 million of cap space to overpay someone in free agency who will produce more closely with that amount.

Guest Dasein

This boggles me.

NHL is the least profitable of the 4 major sports leagues in NA (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL), to my knowledge. None of the more profitable leagues have expanded past 30 teams.. NHL is barely keeping Phoenix alive with life support and there are quite a bit of franchises who will need that support.

Expanding is the solution? No, relocation. Keep 30 teams.

This boggles me.

NHL is the least profitable of the 4 major sports leagues in NA (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL), to my knowledge. None of the more profitable leagues have expanded past 30 teams.. NHL is barely keeping Phoenix alive with life support and there are quite a bit of franchises who will need that support.

Expanding is the solution? No, relocation. Keep 30 teams.

For 2015

1 Goalie: Eriksson (think Lou will be gone by then)

5 Defensemen: Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev (burning that 1st year of Corrado's ELC this year may have been a really bad idea if expansion happens)

9 Forwards: Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Kassian, Higgins, Hansen + guys to be named later (UFAs maybe: Vanek, Marleau ;))

ELC (don't need protecting): Draft picks from 2011 onwards (excl. Corrado)

I'm absolutely laughing at the comments saying we don't protect Luongo. Everyone would rather go with one goalie who just came off injury, hasn't played a single NHL game, and another that's even younger who also has yet to play in the NHL? :lol: Sometimes I just don't take this board seriously.

I'm absolutely laughing at the comments saying we don't protect Luongo. Everyone would rather go with one goalie who just came off injury, hasn't played a single NHL game, and another that's even younger who also has yet to play in the NHL?

lol smart choice to not protect Luongo.. say you let him go to an expansion team that'll prolly never be close to a playoff birth for god knows how long.. Luongo retires instantly.. say hello to your new recapture salary which will probably be in the range of 3mil per

Archived