The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawrence Gilman on Kesler

Westcoast_Ivey

As long as they don't force these prospects into the lineup then it'll be great to see more youth. However, I also felt AV never really gave our youth the chances we needed either (partially GMMG's fault though too for signing so many vets), so hopefully we can find a good balance.

We have a lot of options up fronts and a lot of potential for multiple prospects to impress. I can see it happening.

Horvat looks like a top notch prospect.

Shinkaruk looks like a hard worker. (look at his TJ Oshie tribute on youtube from a few years back, that's dedication)

Gaunce was considered possibly NHL ready LAST year.

Jensen could make the move if he has a good summer.

Mallet looked strong in summer camp.

Shroeder has some NHL experience now and his defensive ability can help him keep a spot on the roster even if he's not entirely scoring.

The list goes on really. Those who don't want to believe any of these prospects will be ready are just being pessimistic and are actually going against all odds.

Kesler can pretty much play with anyone in the top 9 since it has shown before but Schroeder need some talented wingers not plugs.......Booth and Kassasin is the best choice as I want to see Schroeder-Kassasin develop and Booth and Higgins could changed

either

Higgins Schroeder Kassasin or

Booth Schroeder Kassasin

and

Higgins Kesler hansen

Booth Kesler Hansen

Well it was a bad idea for years then.

Last year, even if Kesler were healthy, it would have meant a rookie 2nd line center (Schroeder - who wasn't really ready) or Lapierre playing the 2C role.... terrible options. Only after the Roy deal would it have made any sense, and Roy's shoulder didn't appear to be entirely healthy.

The year before it would have meant a rookie 2C, who wasn't ready, whose production dropped off after a few months, who could not have handled the matchups (and who was dealt in any event). After that deal, Pahlsson was a legitimate shutdown 3C taking some weight off Kesler's load.

Aside from a month of Roy, there was no real context where it would have made any sense. This coming season, if Schroeder continues to progress, could be the first real context in which it makes sense.

Schroeder is ready for the next level.......even his NHL stats don't show they are lot of similar players second season improve significantly from the first.........even if we are depending on a rookie small center to play a bigger role.......hopefully it will be a worst version of Getzaf in 2006/2007 season.......that will be great

Even putting aside the Burrows/Kassian on the 1st debate I have concerns about Kesler and Burrows playing on the same line. While their style of play might make it attractive at first thought, I worry that they would feed off of one another in a bad way as both are known to occasionally go a little too far. I think both need to be able to play with an edge, but also with a slightly calming influence around them to help them remember to keep it this side of legal.

Even putting aside the Burrows/Kassian on the 1st debate I have concerns about Kesler and Burrows playing on the same line. While their style of play might make it attractive at first thought, I worry that they would feed off of one another in a bad way as both are known to occasionally go a little too far. I think both need to be able to play with an edge, but also with a slightly calming influence around them to help them remember to keep it this side of legal.

I'm going to throw this on the discussion since no one else proposed it yet...

A lineup with Kesler as the shutdown 3C, with Burrows, AND splitting the Sedins up 5on5.

Booth-Hank-Kassian

Daniel-Schroeder-Hansen

Higgins-Kesler-Burrows

Mallet/Gaunce-Richardson-Weise.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating it but it might as well be considered.

I'm going to throw this on the discussion since no one else proposed it yet...

A lineup with Kesler as the shutdown 3C, with Burrows, AND splitting the Sedins up 5on5.

Booth-Hank-Kassian

Daniel-Schroeder-Hansen

Higgins-Kesler-Burrows

Mallet/Gaunce-Richardson-Weise.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating it but it might as well be considered.

I haven't heard that, but I'm not doubting that Torts said it. I just don't think it's a good idea and apparently the (limited) stats back it up.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. We may end up seeing every possible combination before the season's over. And who knows, we could all be surprised by how well some of them work out.

Archived