The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawrence Gilman on Kesler

Westcoast_Ivey

15 of his goals were on the PP in his selke winning year. If he wants to get back to 40 goals, the Canucks need to get their PP going, and we just don;t have the tools for that anymore. Ehrhoff Salo are gone and the Sedins aren't as effective anymore.

Besides, I thought we needed Kesler to play with Booth and Higgins for the Ammex line?

I think it can only make sense if Schroeder can get it done with the right wingers and opportunity. He isn't a shut down center ... He is a playmaker but I question whether he can get it done as he hasn't proved it yet in the AHL.

I can't see it honestly ... But I also can't see how Schroeder will make the impact projected unless he is utilized in a top 6 role.

I'd love to see that kid develop ... All time junior scorer in USU18 ... Just not sure if he will translate his game to the NHL level.

Whatever line Kesler is on will play a lot. The NHL is evolving away from dedicated checking lines. Having a 3rd line that will simply not be scored on most of the time, is not good enough anymore. Offense is needed from all of the top 3 lines.

Still not sold on whether Schroeder can handle center ice in a top 9 role. He has something to prove.

I was listening to the interview today on team 1040 and one thing that really stood out to me was how Lawrence continued to talk about Kesler being one of the best 2 way players and how he was a recent winner of the Selke trophy.

He mentioned that perhaps we may see Kesler take on the 3C role this year as opposed to being relied upon as the offensive 2C role we traditionally expect from that role.

I'm wondering if they are expecting Schroeder to fill that offensive role and perhaps have Kessler regain that Selke form from before?

It only stood out because he said we may be surprised on how they will utilize some of the players and younger players this year.

Would you want to see Kesler become a top shut down center with potential of 20-30 goals or should we try to have him regain his 40+ goal form??

It certainly bolds well to have a player that can offer so much value to either role he may be given !!!

Honestly, from an outside perspective Kesler is one of the best 2 way forwards.  I think he gets underrated because of his extracurricular activity (i.e. diving).  When Kesler focuses on his game and remains discplined there are only a handful of 2 way players who are better (Bergeron, Toews, Datysuk, Hossa, Zetterberg).

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Schroeder Kassian

Higgins Kesler Hansen

I like this lineup in the sense that the second line with Schroeder and Kassian - who have played well together in Chicago - and Booth and Kassian who played well together last year before Booth's injury - would get an opportunity to play a significant role but not be looked upon to play the harder minutes - while Higgins, Kesler and Hansen are the actual second line in terms of workload but face the more difficult (stereotypical 'third line' shutdown) matchups and nevertheless would undoubtedly produce quite nicely... It would take pressure off Kesler to produce 40 goals, and it would take pressure off the defensive side of Schroeder's game, who would also have some solid physical support playing with a pair of power forwards who can skate and play responsible hockey...

I also like the idea of a fourth line centered by Richardson, but with the wings open to competition, and the possibility of skilled youth taking those roles - Gaunce Richardson Jensen - or more of a checking/shutdown line depending upon the opponent. I'd love to see those extra minutes be split up to a certain extent to give rookies more of a taste, and with guys like Santorelli, Ferriero, Weise, Sestito competing for a platoon role.

I also wouldn't mind a guy like Steckel being added to the mix - so that a pair of centers on the fourth line is an option - ie. Richardson, Steckel, Weise.

hmm Booth - Schroeder - Burrows could be a good second line

Booth big body, likes to shoot and drive to the net

Schroeder, shifty, quick, great passer and vision

Burrows, always seems to have finish at key times, likes to pester and get in front of the net, great forechecker and great along the boards.

Wouldn't mind seeing how that line plays out in the pre-season / first 5 games or so

hmm Booth - Schroeder - Burrows could be a good second line

Booth big body, likes to shoot and drive to the net

Schroeder, shifty, quick, great passer and vision

Burrows, always seems to have finish at key times, likes to pester and get in front of the net, great forechecker and great along the boards.

Wouldn't mind seeing how that line plays out in the pre-season / first 5 games or so

I was listening to the interview today on team 1040 and one thing that really stood out to me was how Lawrence continued to talk about Kesler being one of the best 2 way players and how he was a recent winner of the Selke trophy.

He mentioned that perhaps we may see Kesler take on the 3C role this year as opposed to being relied upon as the offensive 2C role we traditionally expect from that role.

I'm wondering if they are expecting Schroeder to fill that offensive role and perhaps have Kessler regain that Selke form from before?

It only stood out because he said we may be surprised on how they will utilize some of the players and younger players this year.

Would you want to see Kesler become a top shut down center with potential of 20-30 goals or should we try to have him regain his 40+ goal form??

It certainly bolds well to have a player that can offer so much value to either role he may be given !!!

Archived