The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawrence Gilman on Kesler

Westcoast_Ivey

People are far too caught up with line numbers.

It doesn't matter if you call Schroeder's line the second line or the third line he's still going to play 13 to 15 minutes per game. Nor does it matter what number you assign to his line because he's not going to be in the shutdown role. Which leaves a secondary scoring role much like Hodgsons role during his complaint filled season. People seem to forget back in the WCE era the Sedins were called "second line" but only played 13 to 14 minutes per game while Linden's third line (in the shutdown role) played 19 to 20 minutes. Prior to Malhotra signing Kesler was both second line and shutdown line. His career year for points came while in that shutdown role.

Think in terms of roles instead of line numbers...

Sedins - primary scoring - 19 minutes

Schroeder - secondary scoring - 14 minutes

Kesler - shutdown - 20 minutes

Richardson - energy line - 7 minutes

I think if Kesler was to be 3c this year I gotta think that Horvat will probably be the 2c. I like Schroeder and all but Horvat is bigger and I think will fair better at 2c than Schroeder will. Booth-Horvat-Kassian. Kassian will be with Horvat to watch out for him.

sedin-sedin-burrows/kassian

schroeder-horvat-kassian/burrows

higgins-kesler-hansen

richardson-gaunce-weise

sestito, santorelli

if schroeder could turn himself into a right-shooting, left wing playmaker like ray whitney, i think that would be ideal. and if the kids can prove themselves reliable in camp, it could be a fun year. maybe not a hugely successful year, but still fun.

sedin-sedin-burrows/kassian

schroeder-horvat-kassian/burrows

higgins-kesler-hansen

richardson-gaunce-weise

sestito, santorelli

if schroeder could turn himself into a right-shooting, left wing playmaker like ray whitney, i think that would be ideal. and if the kids can prove themselves reliable in camp, it could be a fun year. maybe not a hugely successful year, but still fun.

I think it can only make sense if Schroeder can get it done with the right wingers and opportunity. He isn't a shut down center ... He is a playmaker but I question whether he can get it done as he hasn't proved it yet in the AHL.

I can't see it honestly ... But I also can't see how Schroeder will make the impact projected unless he is utilized in a top 6 role.

I'd love to see that kid develop ... All time junior scorer in USU18 ... Just not sure if he will translate his game to the NHL level.

People are far too caught up with line numbers.

It doesn't matter if you call Schroeder's line the second line or the third line he's still going to play 13 to 15 minutes per game. Nor does it matter what number you assign to his line because he's not going to be in the shutdown role. Which leaves a secondary scoring role much like Hodgsons role during his complaint filled season. People seem to forget back in the WCE era the Sedins were called "second line" but only played 13 to 14 minutes per game while Linden's third line (in the shutdown role) played 19 to 20 minutes. Prior to Malhotra signing Kesler was both second line and shutdown line. His career year for points came while in that shutdown role.

Think in terms of roles instead of line numbers...

Sedins - primary scoring - 19 minutes

Schroeder - secondary scoring - 14 minutes

Kesler - shutdown - 20 minutes

Richardson - energy line - 7 minutes

Kesler is not a 40 goal scorer. He did it once, sure, but that was outside the norm and shouldn't be expected in determining if he had a good or bad season.

25+ goals and top 3 Selke voting is where he should always be expected.

The above is the mark of a very good player, by the way, I am not knocking him, but saying he is that damn good.

Never understood why the 3rd line always has to be the shutdown line. Reality is a shutdown line with Kesler would see more minutes then a 2nd line with Schroeder so really it's stupid to get caught up in numbers and say things like Kesler isn't a 3rd liner. A true shutdown line will match up against the NHL's best lines and therefore get tons of minutes when playing against top players who are course are given big minutes themselves. If Kesler is given other good two way linemates like Burrows, Hansen or Higgins and still gets 1st line PP he could still have a chance for another 40 goal season.

15 of his goals were on the PP in his selke winning year. If he wants to get back to 40 goals, the Canucks need to get their PP going, and we just don;t have the tools for that anymore. Ehrhoff Salo are gone and the Sedins aren't as effective anymore.

Besides, I thought we needed Kesler to play with Booth and Higgins for the Ammex line?

Archived