The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawrence Gilman on Kesler

Westcoast_Ivey

I think a good move would be to trade for Cody Franson. Play Kesler & burrows against other teams top line. Roll a more balanced mobile defense to help with our transition game. An effective roster would be

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.600m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Bo Horvat ($1.775m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Dale Weise ($0.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Cody Franson ($1.800m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)

Andrew Alberts ($0.800m) / Ryan O'Byrne ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,078,333; BONUSES: $850,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $71,667

Call up:

Forwards - Jensen (RW/LW), Lain ©, Santorelli (C,RW), Ferriero (C,RW), Hamill ©

Defense - Corrado (RD), Weber (RD), Tommernes (LD), Sauve (LD)

Roster Composition:

- 3 left handed Centers

- 2 Right handed Centers

- 2 (maybe 3) power forwards

- 2 Snipers

- 3 two way forwards

- 5 grinders

- 3 two way D

- 3 Offensive D

- 2 Heavy Hitting D

There's no reason Kesler can't score 30 goals AND play great defence. Look at Bergeron. Look at Toews. Look at Datsyuk. These are the centers Kesler has to try and play like. Solid offence but still great defence, and he's among that conversation.

There's no point dropping him to a 3rd line to play more defensively. In today's NHL, there's no "defensive lines" and "offensive lines" - players go head to head against each other and have to play good offence AND good defence. That's why the most recent cup winners have been playing a solid 200ft game, and why purely offensive stars like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and the Sedins struggle mightily in the post-season.

Defence wins championships, but especially defence from forwards. We need the twins to play better defence, and for Kesler to keep up his offence-defence combo on the 2nd line.

There's no reason Kesler can't score 30 goals AND play great defence. Look at Bergeron. Look at Toews. Look at Datsyuk. These are the centers Kesler has to try and play like. Solid offence but still great defence, and he's among that conversation.

There's no point dropping him to a 3rd line to play more defensively. In today's NHL, there's no "defensive lines" and "offensive lines" - players go head to head against each other and have to play good offence AND good defence. That's why the most recent cup winners have been playing a solid 200ft game, and why purely offensive stars like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and the Sedins struggle mightily in the post-season.

Defence wins championships, but especially defence from forwards. We need the twins to play better defence, and for Kesler to keep up his offence-defence combo on the 2nd line.

I know! I mean, we all hated that when there was a couple of Swedish rookies given top-6 minutes when they didn't deserved it. Totally ruined the locker room and their careers. Prima donnas Henrik and Daniel Sedin... I wonder how they are now....

I know! I mean, we all hated that when there was a couple of Swedish rookies given top-6 minutes when they didn't deserved it. Totally ruined the locker room and their careers. Prima donnas Henrik and Daniel Sedin... I wonder how they are now....

those teams really over-achieved, didn't they? real poster boys for cohesiveness and excelling in the post-season...oh, wait.

Edit: on-point with the Sedins in particular, I'd say they excelled despite being thrown into a horribly negative situation..

fact is that they didn't pull their weight until after the lockout in 05-06 when they had properly physically matured.

If you're willing to let <insert rookie> languish for four years while getting trashed in the media and fan base and all the while creating a hole on the roster and enduring the ensuing failures of the TEAM...... then fair enough.

I'd still wager most rookies don't succeed in that environment. No knock on the Sedins.. they're obviously mentally tougher than most people on the planet.

A year or two in the AHL and being given a chance - a chance - to earn a spot on the roster is the best way to go and wouldn't have hurt them either.

Nice example but if you're proposing we take a "4 year trial process" with every 1st rounder we take you're a fool.

I agree that Kesler can still put up points while playing more defense. He's one of the few forwards who you can bury in the defensive zone and he'll still produce. In addition, Kesler isn't going to be "on the third line" based on the amount of minutes he plays. Unless Schroeder or Gaunce makes a serious push, Kesler is still going to be getting 18-20 minutes a night which makes whatever line he plays on the "second line."

People were doubting Kadri when he wasn't performing at the high-level that was expected of him, but once he got a chance under Carlyle, he thrived.

The same thing could happen with Schroeder. AV wasn't giving him the minutes he deserved. I believe that Torts will allow Schroeder to flourish.

Higgins - Gaunce - Kesler

or

Kesler - Gaunce - Hansen

Gaunce, by all indications, is looking like a stud being the best player for Canada at the development camp. He's a big body who is excellent defensively, great on face-offs, and has a scoring touch down low in the dirty areas. Gaunce could centre the third line and hold the fort down low, allowing Kesler to produce offense on the wing and shadow the more dangerous scorers.

Maybe move Kesler to the Sedins' wing, like the power play. Then he'd get 40 goals.

But that's a BIG hole to fill at centre on "2nd line" or "3rd line". We have a lot of centres now, but not sure the kids are ready for the NHL, and none of them are even close to what Kes brings!

If Kesler is more effective as a 3rd line centre....do it. But, here's the problem....Schroeder is not good enough on faceoffs and you can't have the 2nd line losing the draw and possession 60% of the time. Schroeder is also not big enough....seriously a guy 5'8" tall and weighing in at 178 lbs is going to get dominated by the bigger teams.

I would rather see Santorelli, Gaunce or Horvat or another FA/ trade option explored. I like Schroeders hustle and compete level but I just don't see a small man being able to do the job. And before someone points out guys like St. Louis or Ronning....Schroeder is not at St. Louis's strength level or Ronnings skill leevel.

If Kesler is more effective as a 3rd line centre....do it. But, here's the problem....Schroeder is not good enough on faceoffs and you can't have the 2nd line losing the draw and possession 60% of the time. Schroeder is also not big enough....seriously a guy 5'8" tall and weighing in at 178 lbs is going to get dominated by the bigger teams.

I would rather see Santorelli, Gaunce or Horvat or another FA/ trade option explored. I like Schroeders hustle and compete level but I just don't see a small man being able to do the job. And before someone points out guys like St. Louis or Ronning....Schroeder is not at St. Louis's strength level or Ronnings skill leevel.

Problem with Schroeder is, that he can't play wing. Or has issues with playing there, no?

I hear that Gaunce can play both center/wing. so he's a little more versatile. if Schroeder can learn to play wing effectively, then yeah, there's more options for the team.

Personally.

I can't see Horvat, or Shinkurak making the team this year. Another year in Junior, and let them absolutely dominate their leagues. Let them play in the WJC, and gain even more experience and confidence. Perhaps next season, we'll see them on the team. But probably not this year. Unless they impress at training camp.

I see Gaunce making the team. Jensen being a call-up.

At least one rookie on this squad. Jensen may get a call-up during the year, and next season, you'd have possibly Jensen making it full time. Gaunce already having a year of NHL experience under his belt. Horvat and Shinkurak headed to AHL (again, unless they impress). Schroeder will have to be on the team (one way deal, right?). But by this time next year, he'll have had two years of NHL experience. And that'll give management and fans a bigger sample size of whether he's able to play at this level, or not.

Archived