The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mr Kevin Bieksa - Mr John Tortarella

aqua59

Bieksa - Torts  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The truth is nobody knows how individuals react to one another until tested.

AV allowed the core and veterans to motivate and police themselves.

Torts is the exact opposite of AV so the whole dynamic has been changed.

We will never know how the players react until there is an incident.

Even then the players will likely maintain a public persona of professionalism.

He'll be fine. For one thing, Torts won't switch the D pairings up every period like the previous idiot did. He also won't play Bieksa with defensive liabilities such as Edler.

The best benefit for Bieksa, though, is Torts is going to want him to play with much more of an edge than AV did. The rest of Bieksa's game seems to be much better when he's able to drop the mitts occasionally. I think Juice will become a favourite of Torts.

The Sedins will struggle with Tortorella's system the most. They're the worst defensively and never block shots, but will be asked to stop free-wheeling offensively the way AV let them and play defence first and foremost which goes against some 10 years of their training and development.

If they can do it (and they will, they're the definition of professionals) then everyone on the team can.

I think they will clash for sure.. but I get the feeling AV either stopped trying or stopped being able to push Bieksa's buttons in a good way.

You know if Juice gets prickly Torts isn't going to back off... like someone else said, as long as they're winning it works out - if they tank this could turn toxic in a hurry. Didn't Juice go on record and say "this isn't the kind of coach we need?"

Edit: this was brought up just after the signing...

/topic/346788-how-will-the-hiring-of-john-tortorella-affect-kevin-bieksa/">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/346788-how-will-the-hiring-of-john-tortorella-affect-kevin-bieksa/

One supported by facts. There's no question the media has run with this just like any other story and at the very least led people to an opinion that Bieksa has a problem with Torts. Bieksa's comments contradict that though, and the actual, factual evidence tells us there's actually no issue at all.

I think they will clash for sure.. but I get the feeling AV either stopped trying or stopped being able to push Bieksa's buttons in a good way.

You know if Juice gets prickly Torts isn't going to back off... like someone else said, as long as they're winning it works out - if they tank this could turn toxic in a hurry. Didn't Juice go on record and say "this isn't the kind of coach we need?"

Edit: this was brought up just after the signing...

/topic/346788-how-will-the-hiring-of-john-tortorella-affect-kevin-bieksa/">http://forum.canucks...t-kevin-bieksa/

And that's fine, but I brought up two threads that have already been broached on the subject, one of which has Bieksa directly countering the notion that he'd have an issue with Torts. oldnews weighed in with his opinion too, based on what we already knew, and you downplayed it as a 'micro opinion' - which sounded condescending even if you didn't mean it that way.

And as I mentioned, I'd already countered with actual evidence that contradicts that. If people want to have their own opinion that doesn't match the facts, that's their right.

Archived