The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gretzky or Lemieux

Lemieux 100% could have been better if he had had the right circumstances during his career. [quote

name='*16*'

timestamp='1377835829' post='11623335']

i had this argument with a friend like 15yrs ago.... sorry can't start up on this again... kinda wondering why this topic has been created.

I think you guys need to talk to Glenn Sather.

He will tell you flat out that without Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier turns into a coke junkie and ends up a grinder if he plays at all. Jari Kurri is a 30 goal journeyman . Glenn Anderson ends up a rich mans Mason Raymond.

Paul Coffey is the only guy who would have ended up being a star in his own right . He would have never set all the records that he did without Gretzky but he would have been an All Star nonetheless.

Mario came in and took a lousy team and made them into a playoff team. But it took the guy 5 years. It didnt happen overnight.Gretzky had the oilers in their second final and winning the cup in 5 years at age 23.

When Coffey moved over to Pittsburg it gave Mario a transition game he could have only dreamed of. In his case, the Penguins started to assemble a team around Lemiuex.

Gretzky took the guys he had and assembled them into stars on the ice.

The Oilers never added any major pieces. They were all raised by Gretzky and Sather. Lemiuex kept adding pieces such as Coffey, then Stephens, then Barasso then Jagr , then Murphy and on and on it goes.

So this idea that Lemiuex did something more than Gretzky is backwards.

Lemiuex also never broke a single record of Gretzky's . Single season or Career. It think Gretzky holds 64 NHL records.

I have no idea how someone says Mario Lemiuex was BETTER than Gretzky but has less cups less awards and never broke a single record of his peer.

I think Lemieux was a more complete player but kinda hard to beat the number of points Gretzky put up, dynasty team or not the rate at which he had to score was incredible. Gretzky did play 572 more games then Mario did and I think Lemieux could have put up the 1134 points needed to tie Gretzky if he were to play those extra games. We'll never know but considering Lemieux didn't exactly have a built team with 2 other 50+ goal scorers I gotta give it to Lemieux

people who say Lemieux had no one to work with are off the mark - in the Penguins cup years he had Ron Francis, Jagr, Kevin Stevens, and Paul Coffey. Thats a pretty lethal supporting cast. Plus, Gretzky did not have a good supporting cast in LA yet he still put up phenomenal numbers and improved the team.

Also, i think a lot of people on this forum were born to late too witness the 80's where Gretzky absolutely owned hockey. Yes, it was a high scoring era, but just look at how much higher Gretzky's point totals were than everyone else in this time.

Lemieux was the second best player ive ever witnessed, Gretzky - the first.

people who say Lemieux had no one to work with are off the mark - in the Penguins cup years he had Ron Francis, Jagr, Kevin Stevens, and Paul Coffey. Thats a pretty lethal supporting cast. Plus, Gretzky did not have a good supporting cast in LA yet he still put up phenomenal numbers and improved the team.

Also, i think a lot of people on this forum were born to late too witness the 80's where Gretzky absolutely owned hockey. Yes, it was a high scoring era, but just look at how much higher Gretzky's point totals were than everyone else in this time.

Lemieux was the second best player ive ever witnessed, Gretzky - the first.

Archived