The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The September Camp Thread,list of invitees, cuts etc updated daily

Primal Optimist

The thing I like here is that Higgins and Hansen are great players to have on the 3rd line. If they start creeping up to the 2nd, then you know you've got some holes.

I don't know enough about Richardson to judge, but I think having him on the 3rd could be a good choice. This would be a solid, high energy grinding line that is very good at puck retrieval (Higgins was our best player last year for take-aways? Or best forward? I think. Some stat I don't feel like looking for that I'm regurgitating).

Although these players are touted as defensive-minded, a pair like Higgins - Hansen ALWAYS has the opportunity to score. It seems to be in their nature to pull goals out at clutch and unexpected moments. That is exactly what you want out of a 3rd line.

This goes with the assumption that Schroeder is either on the 2nd (RW) or the 4th © line.

And you were wondering who would center the 4th line? I think Lain has a legitimate shot.

Unless Jensen picks it up, I don't think he makes it anyways.

I have to save my thoughts on Schroeder for when the season starts, honestly, because it's been so long since I've seen him play. But no, he's not better than Booth, and no, he's not cut out for the 4th line.

Since Booth will be out for a bit, do Burr - Kes - Schroeder to start. But when Booth comes back, Schroeder better hope he's made an impression, otherwise, he might be redundant.

With Gaunce and Horvat on the rise, Schroeder either moves to wing, or gets traded at this year's deadline. We don't need him for the play-offs, and I'll be shocked if there is space for him next year.

Last year was Schroeder's real chance with the hole at center, and AV pissed all over it. Gillis compensated, and AV's gone, too.

I've always had this feeling that Schroeder was going to get traded. Don't know why.

It's getting to the point where the 3C isn't a hole in our line-up anymore. Rather, the questions are:

Who plays with the Sedins?

- will Kassian cut it?

- will it just be Burrows?

- will Jensen get a look?

Who plays with Kesler? Cuz he seems to be ready for beast mode.

- when does Booth return?

- Burrows, Kassian, Jensen, Schroeder

The 4th line looks like madness. I think Cassels might get that 4C spot (assuming Richardson gets 3C) if he keeps impressing. Lain is a possibility with a little face-off work. He's huge, he can skate, and he can hit.

The D pairings are looking pretty solid:

-( not in order of 1st 2nd 3rd. Just, who plays with who )-

Garrison - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Corrado

Edler - Tanev

I know it's pointless to mention this but...I feel like Eddie Lack is very weak laterally. Makes the first save and that's it. Doesn't yet have the side to side movement to get back into good position for a rebound save. Schneider had the best lateral movement of any goalie I've ever seen. His recovery after a first save was remarkable and he never made desperation saves because he never had to.

Luongo made some nice saves but it's the same story as Lack with his rebounds. Only difference is Luongo can make a few more desperation saves than Lack.

We're going to have to lower our expectations with regards to goaltending, especially at the backup position. We were spoiled the last couple seasons.

Archived