The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian the 1st Liner

theminister

The question for me going into tonight is whether we will see a more bruising style from Kassian compared to last year if the coaching staff take the reins off of him a bit. I think the keys to his success, and his ability to stay in that role, will be his consistency in skating hard both ways and finishing his checks effectively at the appropriate time. I don't believe that scoring will be as emphasized early on but that he is actively involved at all times when on the ice.

What do you want/expect to see starting tonight?

From what I gather, Kassian didn't like the way last season went so he got with the program this summer. He trained harder and changed his diet. He's leaner and faster now, and should have better endurance now that he isn't carrying around all that baby fat. Last season was a good lesson on being a pro on and off the ice. I think he gets it now.

Everyone always says the same thing about big power forwards early on in their careers. Not enough talent. Too lazy. One dimensional. But a lot of that talk is midguided. These guys cruised through junior because of their size. They physically don't have the endurance to back check hard without the right cardio training and trimming down their % body fat. Everyone knows you gotta keep doing what got you yo the NHL. But more than any other type of player, big power forwards have to make the biggest adjustments both physically and mentally to succeed at the NHL level. And so that's why it takes them longer to put it all together. Literally everything they did in junior goes out the window. Kassian has flashes of mad brilliance. Even if he sucks this year and puts it all together next year, he's still ahead of the curve.

From what I gather, Kassian didn't like the way last season went so he got with the program this summer. He trained harder and changed his diet. He's leaner and faster now, and should have better endurance now that he isn't carrying around all that baby fat. Last season was a good lesson on being a pro on and off the ice. I think he gets it now.

Everyone always says the same thing about big power forwards early on in their careers. Not enough talent. Too lazy. One dimensional. But a lot of that talk is midguided. These guys cruised through junior because of their size. They physically don't have the endurance to back check hard without the right cardio training and trimming down their % body fat. Everyone knows you gotta keep doing what got you yo the NHL. But more than any other type of player, big power forwards have to make the biggest adjustments both physically and mentally to succeed at the NHL level. And so that's why it takes them longer to put it all together. Literally everything they did in junior goes out the window. Kassian has flashes of mad brilliance. Even if he sucks this year and puts it all together next year, he's still ahead of the curve.

I may be biased because I am around the same age and from the town as Kassian, but I truly hope he sticks. It isn't like he has the looks or smarts to make it anywhere else (I kid, I kid, I know the guy) I think this season may disappoint many people but I think by next season he will be an absolute rockstar for this team.

I also have good firsthand knowledge that he wants to stay with the team long term and that the money he has already is more than enough to get by in the long run.. Take that how you will.

I think some people have a bit of a false memory with how well he did with the Sedins last year! He had a few moments but it wasn't like he was putting in 2 or three a night (he had what 7 total for the year? And no you can't convince me that if he had only stayed with the Sedins...).

I'm not negative towards him, I think he's going to be a good player, he just needs to develop a bit more first before relying on him on the first line. But, if he makes it and is successful, full marks to him.

I think some people have a bit of a false memory with how well he did with the Sedins last year! He had a few moments but it wasn't like he was putting in 2 or three a night (he had what 7 total for the year? And no you can't convince me that if he had only stayed with the Sedins...).

I'm not negative towards him, I think he's going to be a good player, he just needs to develop a bit more first before relying on him on the first line. But, if he makes it and is successful, full marks to him.

Archived