The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian the 1st Liner

theminister

Tonight we get a our first look at Zack Kassian being utilized by Torts as a 1st line winger for the Sedins.

Torts has continually said throughout preseason that he is intrigued by Kassian and wants to give him every opportunity to succeed in a prominent role. If Zack plays well then he might stick there for much of the year.

This thread is meant for the purposes of discussing how he is deployed by the coaching staff, how he performs, his off/def play, his ice-time, specialty teams play, etc. when he is a top line winger. There is bound to be much debate all season long about this line-up card and we will need a place to discuss his results in this role.

The question for me going into tonight is whether we will see a more bruising style from Kassian compared to last year if the coaching staff take the reins off of him a bit. I think the keys to his success, and his ability to stay in that role, will be his consistency in skating hard both ways and finishing his checks effectively at the appropriate time. I don't believe that scoring will be as emphasized early on but that he is actively involved at all times when on the ice.

What do you want/expect to see starting tonight?

I agree with your logic but disagree with your conclusion. I think if Zack is on the top line with the twins all he will have to worry about is playing his own game. The twins will carry the line and I think Zack would develope nicely by playing with them.

It also would of course free up others (Burrows presumably) to play elsewhere in the lineup and help with depth.

I'm a fan of Kassian, but I honestly don't know if he compliments the Sedins. Yes, he is big and nasty, but the reason Burrows clicks so well with the Sedins is because he has the strategic smarts to play with them. He knows exactly where to be and when to be there. Kassian seems a bit more old school, dump and chase, crash, power moves, show no mercy style. He's a valuable team player, but I'm sold on him being on the first line with the Sedinery.

I'm a fan of Kassian, but I honestly don't know if he compliments the Sedins. Yes, he is big and nasty, but the reason Burrows clicks so well with the Sedins is because he has the strategic smarts to play with them. He knows exactly where to be and when to be there. Kassian seems a bit more old school, dump and chase, crash, power moves, show no mercy style. He's a valuable team player, but I'm sold on him being on the first line with the Sedinery.

What I saw from Kass last game:

• backchecked like a demon

• showed surprising wheels (I've never seen him skate that fast, pretty damn quick for a big guy)

• made good defensive plays that resulted in relatively quick transitions (not super quick but it was everyone's first game)

• could hold the cycle (more often than not it was the Sedins who backed themselves into corners)

• went to the front of the net repeatedly, gained position and TONS of space

He's looking pretty good to me. Don't be seduced by the preseason scoresheet.

So what's the reasoning in comparing the progress of an undrafted player with our first round pick prospect? Actually most people are interested n a discussion about Kassian because of the Cody Hodgson trade, so it is most reasonable to compare Kassian to Hodgson, and of course Hodgson numbers right now wins hands down.

He looks faster, stronger and better. But, he still shows absolutely zero ability to understand the Sedins and cycle with them. All he does is go behind the net or in front of the net. Let's not forget there's been hardly anyone that can play with the Sedins, there's a reason for that. The Kass dream isn't going to happen, but it does look like he's ready to play a prominent role on this team which is exciting.

He's not a first liner yet, but I hope he gets more Sedin time to see if some chemistry starts to develop. It's not just Kassian that needs to fit with the Sedins, but visa versa. The Sedins are very smart players but they need some time to adjust and learn how to play with the big guy. It will take a little longer than one preseason game to see if it will work.

Yeah,until the team starts losing games,like last year.

Kass is being expedited to first line status when he neither earned it or is fully functional and this is not going to fly with the concensus.

Good for Gillis as he attempts major loss of face recovery and Tootsie will do as he is told but many Canucks earned their placement with years of hard work and patience waiting for their ice time.

This is not a union ,it is a hockey team that has a hierarchical structure that begins from the owner to the GM down.

If you think it was Torts idea to stick Kassian with the twins you would be mistaken or just don't get what is going on.

So,quit the name calling and do some research or both and grow up.

Archived