The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian the 1st Liner

theminister

I thought Kass played better than the twins the other night. I was impressed with his play without the puck. He was getting in shooting lanes and battling hard for the puck. At one point 2 guys were trying to get the puck from him and it took a third guy to come in to bump him off it.

He's clearly becoming a better hockey player and my only concerns with him now is consistency.

I don't see how Kassian is a better option than Burrows. Nice that they're trying it out in pre season, but Kassian is not as fast or skilled as Burrows. I'm sure he'll get his points with the Sedins like everyone else, but Burrows on the 1st line is the way to go

He's not a first liner yet, but I hope he gets more Sedin time to see if some chemistry starts to develop. It's not just Kassian that needs to fit with the Sedins, but visa versa. The Sedins are very smart players but they need some time to adjust and learn how to play with the big guy. It will take a little longer than one preseason game to see if it will work.

I just hope Torts doesn't feel compelled to put Kassian on the first line instead of Burrows because AV used Sedins / Burrows and Torts wants to put his own stamp on the team. AV might not have been perfect, but he saw the chemistry among those three that is hard to replicate.

Was at the Canucks golf tournament this afternoon, had a chat with a few players, Kassian is not 'liked' inside the locker room. This morning he has a late 8:30 practice and he was complaining it was too early, he was still half asleep at the end of practice. As a regular he already had it easy, the new kids had a 7:30am practice. Hell he didn't really want to be in Northview for the golf tournament, he was a very unwilling participant.

No idea why you guys are still dreaming he will be the perfect power forward, Buffalo didn't want him for a reason. Kassian just didn't have the heart and conviction to play hockey.

Was at the Canucks golf tournament this afternoon, had a chat with a few players, Kassian is not 'liked' inside the locker room. This morning he has a late 8:30 practice and he was complaining it was too early, he was still half asleep at the end of practice. As a regular he already had it easy, the new kids had a 7:30am practice. Hell he didn't really want to be in Northview for the golf tournament, he was a very unwilling participant.

No idea why you guys are still dreaming he will be the perfect power forward, Buffalo didn't want him for a reason. Kassian just didn't have the heart and conviction to play hockey.

I cannot pretend to know how Kassian will do with the Sedins. I certainly hope things go well. My biggest worry about Kassian is the mental game. The Sedins play a smart game. To be effective with them a player needs to be able to figure out what is going on (see Burrows, Alex). Kassian has the physical skills and, by all accounts, is stronger and faster this year than last year. I hope his mental game has also developed.

I don't the complaints about him "floating" are due to him being lazy. I think he just loses track of where he should be and what he should be doing given the complexity of the Sedin's game. Experience should help him read off the Sedins, of course, burt he might be a slow learner. Guys like Gaunce, Shinkaruk, or Horvat would learn faster (but none of them is a right winger and they all probably would benefit from one more year in junior anyway.)

Hmm, I think you may be having what's known as a "Hodgson-flashback". This is a known condition, where the patient places the failings of a player who was traded on to a different player, usually one who was the return in the deal.

Sit down in a dark room, and think calming thoughts of Gino Odjick. You'll be okay.

regards,

G.

you cant say anything bad about kassian or people will call you nuts.... i was the one who brought up that a good friend of mine had recently spent alot of time around the team ( not at the golf tourny) but heard many times from teammates that kassian is dumber than he looks....... where there is smoke there is fire.... wasnt there something last year aswell? oh yeah benched for drinking his face off nights before games...

Archived