The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Huge Suspension....Rest of pre + First 5 Games of Reg. Season

Cold Hard Truth

"While Kassian ACCIDENTALLY hits a guy in the face..."

- I think the league is saying it only appeared to be accidental... that K. knew what he was doing... that the action of the stick had little to do with physics... but that K. ''embellished'' it... ie. he intentionally hit the Edmonton player. i.e. he pretended to accidentally swing his stick.

While I don't agree with the suspension (unless Kessel gets more). I don't agree either with most people here saying we shouldn't judge the consequences.

I'm gonna use an extreme examples but, If I shoot someone in the face and kill him I will get a harder sentence than if I miss by an inch and don't hurt the person at all. It's still intent to kill, but not murder.

Or if a drunk driver hit and kills someone, he will be much more punish than if he hits someone and break his legs.

Sorry but I can't understand how anyone can dispute this particular suspension. It was beyond reckless. It's dangerous to every player on the ice. Not just the other team but every player on the ice. Accidental? LOL. Pretty good odds you'll hit someone every time you do that.

Completely out of control. A pro hockey player should know better iMO.

The difference is that Kassian can at least make the attempt to excuse himself that it was an accident.

kessel swung once in defence (fine) But then he swung again while Scott was tied up by no more than 2 guys, 1 being the 3rd man in and fresh off the bench to boot. he then comes back almost 2 minutes later and jams his stick into Scott's stomach. Both intentional.

We saw Schroeder take one off the leg the other night and he is still currently out. We know how easy it is to mess with a tendon as per Bieksa twice and most recently Karlsson. Deliberate attacks with a hockey stick deserve serious time. This is not homerism this is fact and common sense.

You do not attack a guy twice with a stick and get less than Kassian who at least could pathetically excuse himself as being accidental.

Take a look at the 32-26 second range in the video below a couple of times. Kassian swings around in an unnecessarily fast manner. The way he was stopping, he didn't even have to spin. He could have stopped normally, and would have been facing the play. Instead, he whips around even before hitting the boards, and his stick breaks Gagne's jaw.

I think a 5 game suspension is very reasonable.

Pretty easy to put my homer glasses on and say that it didn't deserve anything, but I think it's a good time to send to a strong message to everyone about carelessness. In the end, Gagner's leaving the scene with some pretty hefty damage.

Here's what I want to see... Kassian's inadvertent stick swinging (causing damage) earns him 5 games. What will Kessel's intended stick swinging (not causing damage) earn him? Great to opportunity to see how the NHL balances intent vs damage.

Archived