The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Manny Malholtra with the Charlotte Checkers

Well, sure, he might still be able to play. But he apparently can't see very well out of one eye. So, he could play for years and have no problems - or he could play one shift and miss seeing a puck coming straight at his head at 110mph, which puts him into a coma and later kills him from a brain hemorrhage.

No player who still thinks he can play wants to hear what the Canucks had to say. The bottom line is that the other 29 teams in the NHL seemed to agree. Any suggestion that Gillis could have influenced the other 29 GM's in the league is more than a stretch.

I wish Manny luck. I hate to say it but his AHL tryout doesn't really cost the team that much and if he is injured the same is true. The PR implications if the same thing happened in Vancouver is hugh. IMO Van lost a hugh influence in the dressing room when Manny was lost and I always hoped that he could stay with the Canucks at some level.

After he said he could play and Gillis said he couldn't, could you really see the two working together in a management capacity?

I'm glad to see someone is giving him a shot. I hope he proves Gillis was wrong.

Gillis went with the doctors and it appears the rest of the NHL's GM's agree with his assessment. I'm sure they got him tested out as well, or at least got access to the medical documents Regardless, Malhotra is a big enough man and classy and mature enough to understand Gillis' point of view, so yeah, I think they definitely could work together in a management position.

He makes $12,370,000 over his career (6 years). That needs to last him till he dies.

A family with an income of $40,000 over roughly 42 years (whats the retirement age? 60?) makes $16,800,000.

$16,800,000 > $12,370,000

It's hard not to feel sorry.

No he does not he can go into management , earn very good money being around the game he loves , if i had earned 12 mill less tax by his age I would have invested a shipload and be living off the interest .I admire Manny and understand why he finds it hard to let go, but it is obvious he is not the same player and it is sad to watch him try to be the player he once was.

Gillis went with the doctors and it appears the rest of the NHL's GM's agree with his assessment. I'm sure they got him tested out as well, or at least got access to the medical documents Regardless, Malhotra is a big enough man and classy and mature enough to understand Gillis' point of view, so yeah, I think they definitely could work together in a management position.

Um, no. The medical team cleared Malholtra to play. Three times of over the 1.5 seasons between his injury/recovery and Gillis looking at the cap, tweaking figures, and deciding to counter the opinion of experts (and the player) so that things fit with his own strategy.

I don't fault Gillis for being human (and good at his GM job in that respect), but let's not pretend the man doesn't make tweaks to facts in order to "impression manage" while getting what he wants.

Is there any definitive source about the medical staff clearing Manny and MG over ruling them?

There is always the possibility where the doctors said "The eye is toast, but his body is in perfect hockey shape, we're doctors, not hockey players, and have no idea if one can play hockey with just one eye".

A doctor is 100% qualified to tell how much vision someone has in their eye, they are 0% qualified to decide how much vision someone needs to be able to play NHL hockey safely. It was likely a case where the doctors said that there were no league rules saying Manny couldn't play, but they still felt he shouldn't, and left the call in Gillis' hands.

He makes $12,370,000 over his career (6 years). That needs to last him till he dies.

A family with an income of $40,000 over roughly 42 years (whats the retirement age? 60?) makes $16,800,000.

I'm pretty sure you added a 0 there. Annual income of $40,000.00 over 42 years is $1,680,000.00.

You got one to many zeros in your math there mate.

lol to the notion that Manny would come back to the Canucks in some sort of management position after Dr. Gillis made his pronouncement on his health. You can add Manny to the list of classy ex-Canucks that will have nothing to do with the current ownership group (Linden, Mitchell) because of poor treatment.

how long did oulund last when he became a pirate.... i think manny should of been given another chance and he got it... congrats manny.......

Probably a major reason why Ohlund's offensive potential was never realized. It was often that he would be on the point and he would fumble the puck when it's passed to him.

The reason he was still an effective player is that his primary strengths were his positioning and style of play. Even if he can't really see the puck 100%, he still can figure out where it is roughly and would just manhandle whoever has it or whoever will be receiving the pass.

Malhotra is effective by having his sticks in the way of passing lanes and just roaming around to get into position relative to the puck other players. If he can't see clearly to where the puck is, he will be pretty much useless. Unfortunately, he's kind of at that stage.

Archived