The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comments on Hamhuis' Play

reyezone

Let me preface by saying I am a Hamhuis fan and in no way am bashing him or calling for his head...

... but has his play in these first few games not been concerning?

Specifically against the Sharks, perhaps the worst I had ever watched. He turned over numerous pucks, not to mentioned getting drilled in the corners more often than Tanev circa 2012. And in a game where we dominated the Oil, he looked lost at times.

A couple factors come to mind: (allow me to speculate)

- the possible pressure of olympic consideration.

- possible issues do to Tortorella's challenging and confrontational coaching style.

Thought?

I would not worry at this point in the season. New coach, new system and a new year. I see lots of mistakes out there. Hamhuis is not the only one

Hamhuis has by far been our worst defenceman so far. Stanton has been surprisingly solid. If I could rank our D-men based on offence and defence combined, it would be something like this:

Garrison (not even close, our best last year and our best this year)

Bieksa (not as many brain farts as normal, but lots more offence and rarely out of position)

Edler (brings the same offence as usual but has really cleaned up his game, can't see any big mistakes)

Tanev (usual, but no offence)

Stanton (surprisingly sound defensively and has his first point)

Hamhuis (no offence, shocking defence, turnover machine and always caught out of position)

Homer against the hammer? Really, you'd say he provides no offense when he's got 2 points through the season? I'd agree somewhat about the defense and turnovers, but you're kind of overreacting. I mean of course it's not good to see Torts put Tanev with him cover any mistakes but it's likely just momentary. I'd rank him below Garrison and Bieksa, but probably on par with Edler and likely above StanTan.

Let me preface by saying I am a Hamhuis fan and in no way am bashing him or calling for his head...

... but has his play in these first few games not been concerning?

Specifically against the Sharks, perhaps the worst I had ever watched. He turned over numerous pucks, not to mentioned getting drilled in the corners more often than Tanev circa 2012. And in a game where we dominated the Oil, he looked lost at times.

A couple factors come to mind: (allow me to speculate)

- the possible pressure of olympic consideration.

- possible issues do to Tortorella's challenging and confrontational coaching style.

Thought?

As of this post there are 79 more games to play in the season.

regards,

G.

Yeah, Hamhuis' brain farts have been noticeable. It's a surprise for sure, as he has been such a steady and reliable dman. Not sure why people are somehow trying to blame Bieksa. That guy has looked like gold so far this season. Hopefully Hamhuis works his way out of his funk soon. It's not even that bad, but seeing the odd misplay by him is so uncommon that the two or three per game he has recently shown early in the season definitely catches the eye.

How can you explain how he's done this season then bud?

this season? It's been 3 freaking games bro. You think a player like that magically loses all his skill? Way to small of a sample size to judge anyone, let alone the guy who has been the backbone and most solid D man for the Canucks in a long time. According to your logic, Mason Raymond is one of the top players in the NHL.

You think an overrated player would be invited to team Canada?

this season? It's been 3 freaking games bro. You think a player like that magically loses all his skill? Way to small of a sample size to judge anyone, let alone the guy who has been the backbone and most solid D man for the Canucks in a long time. According to your logic, Mason Raymond is one of the top players in the NHL.

You think an overrated player would be invited to team Canada?

Yes. Team Canada is a bad team now... The USA, Russia, and Sweden have surpassed them by quite a bit.

Yes. Team Canada is a bad team now... The USA, Russia, and Sweden have surpassed them by quite a bit.

Smelly Troll confuses World's and World Juniors for Mens Olympics. Smelly Troll doesn't know hockey, Smelly Troll knows lack of attention and crippling loneliness.

Poor Smelly Troll

There are a few players on the Canucks I worry about...Hammy is definitely not one of them.

As for Team Canada, I would say they will ice a lineup at least as competitive as any of the contending Olympic hockey nations. Yes other countries are catching up (or have caught up) but surpassed? No.

There are a few players on the Canucks I worry about...Hammy is definitely not one of them.

As for Team Canada, I would say they will ice a lineup at least as competitive as any of the contending Olympic hockey nations. Yes other countries are catching up (or have caught up) but surpassed? No.

Difference is the other d-men invited to the Olympic camp can actually make a breakout pass without giving it away to the opponent.... Something Hamhuis has had trouble with.

Archived