The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comments on Hamhuis' Play

reyezone

To the people telling the OP to "chill" and "give him a break", I think you're overreacting. There's no panic in the OP, he's not attacking Hamhuis. He's simply noting recent poor play and asking opinions on it.

It's like you people look for reasons to condescend..

The lifeblood of the CDC is being able to talk down to others, ya weenie.

A lot of people can say that Hamhuis has to get a jump on his game and its early in the season blah blah blah...but in reality he is still giving away pucks and being sloppy on defense. He is one reason we were knocked out of the playoffs in 2012. He has no skill in bringing the puck out of our zone. I am well known for my "Sigh Hamhuis" because its nerve racking when he is on the ice :( Truth.

We are into the season now...no one should be playing with any kind of rust NO ONE!

• 2 weeks later...

Hammer is like Kesler and a few others, great players, important to our team, but they just need to get going or we won't make it very far in the playoffs. It's as simple as that. It's not a knock against them, just that sometimes players slump or have slow starts. It's nothing to get too excited over and start calling for their heads, it's just reality.

Hamhuis has always been quite overrated.

By whom? The people who put together the team Canada summer camp?

How can you explain how he's done this season then bud?

Can you explain how you can claim that someone is "overrated" based on about a week of play?

Hammer is the Canucks' #1 shut-down defenseman. It stands to reason that he's going to have some tough moments.

If Hamhuis wasn't spending every shift covering for Bieksa's ill-advised pinches and ill-timed plays he would be a no-brainer for Team Canada. The only reason he's a question mark is because he is the only thing standing between Luongo and the opposition getting 10 breakaways per game.

common really!? hate to go against a mod especially one I like! But I haven't seen him stand between Luo and much this season. and I'm a huge fan of Hamhuis. and would normally battle for him as our 1st d.

He made a bad pinch which led to the Sutter penalty shot.

Maybe the groin is still bothering him. He needs to play more aggressive like he used to when he was dishing out hip checks every once in a while.

It seems ever since he tried to hip-check Lucic he stopped trying to hip check guys and now doesn't even hit guys.

I understand he is a safe-stay at home non aggressive guy but he has to play with more intensity to his game like Tanev has.

The entire Canucks d except Hamhuis have been playing with more intensity. It's as if Edler and Hamhuis have flipped from last year.

I love the physical play from Edler. Stanton showed in this game too that he is not afraid to step up and lay the body when he has a chance.

Bieksa is playing torts hockey in my opinion. He's making aggressive plays and tonight it paid off. Hamhuis is still in between Torts/AV "styles". He's overthinking plays and pinches it seems. He just needs to return to the Mr dependable high percentage guy. Kind of goes against Torts style but if that's the way you get 100% out of that player/pairing then that's what you do.

Let me preface by saying I am a Hamhuis fan and in no way am bashing him or calling for his head...

... but has his play in these first few games not been concerning?

Specifically against the Sharks, perhaps the worst I had ever watched. He turned over numerous pucks, not to mentioned getting drilled in the corners more often than Tanev circa 2012. And in a game where we dominated the Oil, he looked lost at times.

A couple factors come to mind: (allow me to speculate)

- the possible pressure of olympic consideration.

- possible issues do to Tortorella's challenging and confrontational coaching style.

Thought?

When you ask your defenseman to get involved with the offense, mistakes will always be made. When players make split second decisions all game, they are certainly going to foul up a time or two each game. That is why you have team mates so they can cover for you and you for them when they screw up.

To commit the least amount of mistakes conservative coaches use the trap system. New Jersey played the trap which resulted in Brodeur playing a lot of shutout hockey thus, some Vezina trophies in his show case at home.

The trap is all about positional defense, getting back into position, with little forechecking in the offensive zone. Games are won by the mistakes made by the opposition and taking advantage of that mistake with a quick transitional game. IT IS BORING, BORING BORING hockey.

Is that what we want to watch in Vancouver or do we prefer to have an offensive team that scores some goals and entertains us. Think back and recall how many times you made some split second decisions and how they turned out. Eg.- impulsive buying.

Games are lost by the team that makes the most mistakes. Taking chances makes entrepreneurs but it also causes strife in the lives of others who made the wrong choices. Hockey is like life you win sometimes and you lose other times.

As a player you just hope your partner has your back and if he doesn't, a goal is the price you pay. Hamhuis is a top notch defensive player and I am not concerned about his play nor am I concerned about the rest of the D core. It's a might early yet to be concerned.

Archived