The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Dale Weise the most underrated athlete of all time?!?!

apollo

I agree with the OP. He is underrated. He does have bad games and when he does he looks like a crappy plug, but the truth is he can make some smart plays when he keeps his wits about him, be tenacious on the puck and skate with a speed the opposition often seem surprised by. (I don't mean to insult him, but for some reason he looks like he should be slower and dumber than he actually is.) Like the rest of the team, he just needs a little more consistency in his game.

Weise and Sestito are both plugs but are not completely useless. I don't mind either one on the team but they are awful on a line together. Weise is better suited for a checking role whereas I see Sestito as a physical presence in the offensive zone and in front of the net. I think either one is capable of playing limited minutes with players with higher hockey IQ (vs a typical knuckle dragger) and aren't liabilities when on different lines.

Good speed, good forcheck, and the rare "where did that come from" play that makes you think there might be more skill hiding away somewhere. He's made some really good defensive plays this year, and a couple of bad ones. All in all I like him. I think his -3 has more to do with his line-mates than him.

Not a great fighter though.

Considering there is no 4th line ... Just a selection of 2-3 guys to randomly be thrown on the ice at torts whim with random liberates, I'd say weise is doing well.

If he got a regular shift in a 4-line system on the fourth if say his skill set wouldn't fit the fourth ... But as a fillin here and there he seems fine.

Two fantastic passes in two games now, he's earning his 3rd line winger role. With Hansen injured I wouldn't mind seeing this lineup for the next game:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (Kass has improved every single game and Kesler has ZERO chemistry with the twins)

Higgins - Kesler - Santorelli

Weise - Richardson - Booth (Torts has to get Booth back, we have no one else)

who - even - cares

Makes the odd nice play.

Also has his share of vacant moments.

Good speed. Hits hard.

Hands of stone that turn soft intermittently. Truly odd.

Full range of emotions player - frustrating, underdog, breakthroughs, boneheaded moments, stands up for teammates, works hard, forgets to take the puck with him at times, makes some nice passes, not the guy I want with the puck on his stick if the zone needs to be cleared...

Sometimes you revel in his success, sometimes you wish he weren't successful because it will lead to more minutes of the above.

Tough guy to really like, tough guy to dislike.

I like him. But I wouldn't mind if someone else earned his spot.

This.

This is so troll

Weise plays like 4 minutes a night and usually does nothing

I agree. He makes one nice pass and suddenly he deserves recognition. NHL players should be able to make nice plays. The guy is a plug who would be hard pressed to score in a scrub league in Holland. Oh wait a minute never mind. Why are we even talking about him?

Ok no he definitely isn't.

That being said I think he is OUR most underrated player. No one ever gives him any credit but he's always bringing energy, throwing crushing hits, and surprisingly playmaking EXCEPTIONALLY WELL. He can score too if given the opportunity and ice time. It's amazing how much his speed has increased.

Vs the pens he was magic... money in the bank on that pass that lead to our second goal. While Crosby was just admiring his play on the ice.

Tonight he got a chance vs the Twins and looking at that pass it seemed like Weise was the long lost third Sedin. Phenomenal pass!!!

Yes I know Santorelli is underrated too, but he's well documented. Dale Weise is going under the radar.

WEISE IS AWESOME. Definitely one of my favourite players now. Hope he continues his good play and gets more ice time.

Dont you all agree?

Is Apollo the biggest plug in CDC history.

Oh yes he certainly is.

Archived