The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] NYI Matt Moulson + Picks for BUF Thomas Vanek

Strombone1

Only way Islanders don`t get destroyed in this trade is if one of these scenarios happen:

1. Vanek develops instant chemistry with Tavares and scores 40-45 goals. Vanek resigns. Then it`s an equal trade for Buffalo and NYI.

2. Moulson signs with NYI in the off-season. Vanek resigns. NYI win easily, but still a good move by Buffalo, especially if they traded Moulson at the deadline for picks.

3. Both 1 and 2 happen. Garth Snow becomes known as the greatest GM of all time, but still a good move by Buffalo, especially if they traded Moulson at the deadline for picks.

Guys, this isn't a small upgrade for NYI, its huge.

Vanek is one of the best snipers in the game playing with no one in Buffalo, he would be insane along side Tavares.

Moulson is good, but I doubt he keeps his stats without Tavares.

The trade favours Buffalo, but not as much as you guys are saying, and if Vanek re'signs on long island, it should make up for it.

Expecting Mouson to be flipped for picks at the deadline.

Buffalo is building a VERY VERY nice group of prospects and picks. If they don't think they'll be able to re-sign Matt they'll move him on trade deadline for another pick (possibly another first) or a nice prospect to a quality team looking to make a playoff run.

Potentially two 1st's and a 2nd round pick for Vanek who was VERY unlikely to re-sign at seasons end.

Moulson's good but I wouldn't put him in Vanek's category, not by a long shot. Vanek's the best player Tavares has played with so far, look for them to light it up. With all the turmoil in the Eastern conference, getting Vanek could turn that 1st rounder into a 20th+ pick in a weak draft.

And you never know, the Isles might deal Vanek at the deadline if they can't sign him long term, he's worth a hell of a lot more than Moulson is, obviously.

well i think a big thing here is that moulson is a UFA at the end of the season and there is a good change he will not stick around for that rebuild and could very well resign back in new york if he wants to. while vanek might grow to like playing with tavares vs playing with pompinville, so i think there is a better chance of him signing. If you break it down then...

chances of signing Vanek > Moulson

A. Vanek resigns moulson resigns, then its not so bad they lose by a 1st rounder

B. Vanek resigns moulson leaves then its about even. (I feel this is the most likely thing to happen)

C. Vanek leaves, and moulson resigns, Disaster for NYI

D. Vanek leaves and moulson leaves. 1st sucks to give up but u had a full season to vet him and weren't able to sign him so thats just stupid of the islanders. (and there is a chance he goes back to the islanders but who knows after they traded him...)

the islanders lose in most of those situations but i feel like in the most likely situation to happen the islanders come out even or ahead.

Moulson's good but I wouldn't put him in Vanek's category, not by a long shot. Vanek's the best player Tavares has played with so far, look for them to light it up. With all the turmoil in the Eastern conference, getting Vanek could turn that 1st rounder into a 20th+ pick in a weak draft.

And you never know, the Isles might deal Vanek at the deadline if they can't sign him long term, he's worth a hell of a lot more than Moulson is, obviously.

I agree, MM is a great player but he is also a unrestricted FA, they are plum full of prospects already in and out of the line up. They are taking that next step and melting some experience in the pot.

This ain't the 2013 draft, chances are they gave up something they already have.

They paid too much for most teams, but for them it really wasn't that big of a price.

If Buffalo can't resign Moulson then they will just trade him as well which at the trade deadline a 36 goal scorer will be quite expensive; Buffalo just raped the Islanders. Were I an Islanders fan if Vanek does not resign before the trade deadline I would want him dealt. Then this trade is not nearly as lopsided.

Archived