The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value of] Shea Weber

Just looking forward to seeing some proposals for Shea Weber. Nashville turned down four 1st round picks for him after the offer sheet from Philly. So what does everyone think he's worth? Feel free to include proposals from different teams that would be a good fit for him.

Here is a well thought out article that got me thinking about this:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/should-preds-trade-shea-weber-the-answer-may-surprise-you/

At least Edler,Jensen, 2 first round picks.

Wouldn't do it though. The only reason everyone wants him is the same reason everyone wanted Garrison, because he's a BC boy. If he was Russian no one here would care about Weber. Wanting a player because of where he's from is never a good reason for trading for that player

At least Edler,Jensen, 2 first round picks.

Wouldn't do it though. The only reason everyone wants him is the same reason everyone wanted Garrison, because he's a BC boy. If he was Russian no one here would care about Weber. Wanting a player because of where he's from is never a good reason for trading for that player

Or it could be he's a big, tough, mobile defenseman, that's carried Nashville on his back since he was drafted?

He's a lock for 40 points, and over 100 hits per season, and he's responsible in his own zone. What more do you want?

Or it could be he's a big, tough, mobile defenseman, that's carried Nashville on his back since he was drafted?

He's a lock for 40 points, and over 100 hits per season, and he's responsible in his own zone. What more do you want?

If he was Russian I doubt there's even a thread on the guy

If he was Russian I doubt there's even a thread on the guy

Let's say Chara was 8 years younger. I'm pretty sure Boston wouldn't let him go for anything less than a king's ransom.

Show me a Russian defender with the same level of stats, and I'm pretty sure he'd be massively in demand as well.

Taking into account his massive contract.

2 1sts a 2nd 3rd top prospect top 6 forward and a B grade defensive prospect

So for Philly we are looking at:

(2) first round draft picks, Second round pick, Third round pick, Sean Courturier, Scott Hartnell and Robert Hagg. Hmmm... Maybe maybe swap Luke Schenn for the B grade defensive prospect (Robert Hagg)

It'd have to include Kes and Edler as just the basis...Nashville is too high on him and would be near impossible to get him out.

When he signed the offer sheet from Philly, both parties thought they'd win because the assigned so much money to be owed to Shea and thought it'd be too much for Nashville to handle. Turns out the Preds matched and kept him.

It'd have to include Kes and Edler as just the basis...Nashville is too high on him and would be near impossible to get him out.

When he signed the offer sheet from Philly, both parties thought they'd win because the assigned so much money to be owed to Shea and thought it'd be too much for Nashville to handle. Turns out the Preds matched and kept him.

They had no choice but to sign him, they had just lost Suter to a like contract offer.

In my proposal a couple days ago, had Colorado sending MacKinnon & 2 2nds. Perhaps something like Drouin & Hedman from TBay?

I think Nash would want some young(ELC) offensive talent, to build a team around that, & Seth Jones. The fact that Weber seemed close to leaving(as his partner Suter left), & that Jones landed to them, makes this now appear possible. Also with Rinne's troubles, maybe they feel this could be another lost yr, & they may's well get another top pick(low finish) to build with.

With about 80 mill/13yrs remaining, the partner in a Weber-trade would receive a franchise D-man at about 6 mill a year. Likely the price would get ramped up, to one of the biggest overpayments since the Lindros-debacle.

Being from B.C. would be a neat marketing tie in, but Weber's list of attributes are what makes him the best all around d-man in the league.

Point is they already spent so much money on him in the first few years of his contract, why would they want to give him up now that he's getting less money than those years?

IN 2-3 years they can trade him for a wealth of picks/prospects anyways. All he is, is an asset tot hat club. Lucking out on Jones the Preds know this. In 3-4 years when Jones is ready to take over and the cap is up they can choose to keep him or even flip him for whatever flavour #1 overall pick that year is the next Brodeur Crosby or ....Weber ++

The Preds are in the drivers seat as it stands with Jones in their system

Archived