The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gretzky: "I thought I'd be a Canuck."

Everybody Hates Raymond

Wayne Gretzky only played for one Canadian team during his professional career, but he was close to joining a second one in the mid-1990s.

After a brief stint with the St. Louis Blues in the second half of the 1995-96 NHL season, Gretzky was an unrestricted free agent looking for a new place to play. The NHL’s all-time leader in goals, assists, points and a plethora of other categories says he was nearly a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks.

“At one point in time we were close to Toronto. Cliff Fletcher [the Leafs GM at the time] really dug in deep and tried to make it happen,” Gretzky told Brady and Walker on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Thursday.

Gretzky, who grew up in Brantford, Ont., explained that he and his agent at the time, Mike Barnett, “were leaning to go to Toronto and be part of the Toronto Maple Leafs,” but it turns out the team was more interested in a new arena rather than signing The Great One.

“Timing is everything, and unfortunately at that time they were trying to raise money to move out of Maple Leaf Gardens and move into a new arena, a new facility, and the ownership just felt at that time they need to concentrate and put more of their resources into building an arena than to sign me,” Gretzky explained. “And that’s business and that’s what happens, but I thought I was close to signing in Toronto. I thought it was going to happen; unfortunately it didn’t.”

In addition to speaking with the Leafs, Gretzky was also in talks with the Canucks.

“It was a difficult summer. At one point I thought I was going to be a Vancouver Canuck and it fell through the wayside,” Gretzky said. “Everything happens for a reason, and I ended up signing with the New York Rangers… and truly enjoyed it.”

He spent his final three seasons playing in New York, where he racked up 249 points in 234 games on Broadway.

To think if we had secured the Great One... Linden - Gretzky - Bure...

Eh, people act like he would have duplicated his dynasty numbers here.

It would have been a novelty, not much more. I don't think he would have equaled the totals he did if or the Rangers and it would probably be closer to his St. Louis numbers.

We also apparently had a chance on him before he went to L.A.

http://video.tsn.ca/#clip514346

Burke confirms that Edmonton did offer Gretzky to Vancouver. The offer was $18M CDN, 3 first round picks, Greg Adams and "another good player off our team". Burke and GM Pat Quinn turned it down because they couldn't find the $18M. "They did not offer us Marty McSorley and the other player that went in the deal."

Didn't he call him really late in the night to try and force him to decide or something? I remember hearing that years ago.

That's what I heard too. It was like 3am or something and that was the deal breaker

We also apparently had a chance on him before he went to L.A.

http://video.tsn.ca/#clip514346

Burke confirms that Edmonton did offer Gretzky to Vancouver. The offer was $18M CDN, 3 first round picks, Greg Adams and "another good player off our team". Burke and GM Pat Quinn turned it down because they couldn't find the $18M. "They did not offer us Marty McSorley and the other player that went in the deal."

Didnt Gretzky get traded in 88-89.

We didnt have Adams on our team then if i remember correctly.

Lol obvious bs

Meh. No big deal. He was 'only' a 90-100 pt player at that point.

Only with Gretzky can you say something like that.

He was nearly 100 assists behind his prime (163 assists in a season? Ridiculous).

Nearly 70 goals off his goal scoring prime. Unreal.

But as others have pointed out, it could have altered the course off drafting the Sedins, etc.

Archived