The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

15 hours ago, Provost said:

I didn't even know there was a whiskey thread until it happened to pop up as a recent comment.  I got a taste for the stuff in the mid 90's when backpacking through Scotland and the rest of the UK.

This is my current cupboard... though I also generally have a bottle of Singleton when I just want something a little cheaper to drink.  Oban is another one I like.  Different moods, different whiskeys...

The bonus of travelling again internationally is getting bottles of stuff to try that isn't available here.

Whiskey.jpg

How's that Deveron? I almost pulled the trigger on it last weekend but went a different route. Couple of hard to acquire bottles that I couldn't pass up. Kilchoman PX #256/270 and a Springbank Longrow.

2 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

How's that Deveron? I almost pulled the trigger on it last weekend but went a different route. Couple of hard to acquire bottles that I couldn't pass up. Kilchoman PX #256/270 and a Springbank Longrow.

Pretty mediocre and bland to tell you the truth.  I expect more out of a bottle of 20 year old scotch.  I got it at the duty free on the way back from a trip.  

Better with a bit of water.

I have mostly stopped buying at duty free as they seem to get the ones that aren't otherwise marketable.... and they aren't really a good deal price wise anyways.  I try to buy a bottle from a store in the country I am in that isn't available here in BC... I just didn't have time on the last trip so picked it up at the airport.

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

Pretty mediocre and bland to tell you the truth.  I expect more out of a bottle of 20 year old scotch.  I got it at the duty free on the way back from a trip.  

I have mostly stopped buying at duty free as they seem to get the ones that aren't otherwise marketable.... and they aren't really a good deal price wise anyways.  I try to buy a bottle from a store in the country I am in that isn't available here in BC... I just didn't have time on the last trip so picked it up at the airport.

The only reason to buy from the duty free is if you're not checking a bag.  Way better off buying something local and unique.

Edited by King Heffy

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

Sounds like I made a good decision. Some of the travel exclusive stuff looks interesting and I always check the duty free just in case. Talisker Dark Storm for example. Really good but travel exclusive, so duty free is about the only place to get it.

7 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Sounds like I made a good decision. Some of the travel exclusive stuff looks interesting and I always check the duty free just in case. Talisker Dark Storm for example. Really good but travel exclusive, so duty free is about the only place to get it.

There is Oban Little Bay at duty free which I think if quite nice (but not spectacular) and I will get next time.  I haven't tried the Dark Storm

Edited by Provost

Last wk? Teeling Irish Small Batch - not too shabb, for 40 bux, approx. Would certainly purchase again! Smooth..reminiscent of Glenfiddich scotch

This wk? Low dough show!!! Ezra Brooks(90 proof) bourbon. A damn fine slosh for 15-18 bux(1800 Yen). Will proudly haul this up the mtn on my Mon mornin' hike !

I usually ignore the summer spirit release but I actually went and bought something for the first time since November 

Waiting on a Scottish gin that'll be arriving late too, I've never even seen a Scottish gin before 

I didn't go this morning so I wasn't expecting to get the Benriach but I got the last bottle 

20220618_202138.thumb.jpg.dafdb4a10f60be28417d532b72b6538c.jpg

27 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I usually ignore the summer spirit release but I actually went and bought something for the first time since November 

Waiting on a Scottish gin that'll be arriving late too, I've never even seen a Scottish gin before 

I didn't go this morning so I wasn't expecting to get the Benriach but I got the last bottle 

20220618_202138.thumb.jpg.dafdb4a10f60be28417d532b72b6538c.jpg

Is that BCLC for a summer release?

I am rocking a BRBN and a Laird of Fintry from Okanagan Spirits.  That Laird is AMAZING

Edited by Warhippy

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I am rocking a BRBN and a Laird of Fintry from Okanagan Spirits.  That Laird is AMAZING

Yesss, BC liquor store 

I've never bothered with the summer but they have some interesting stuff, check out the site and get into one sooner than later if you see anything neat 

You might get lucky with some leftover stuff, it happened today

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yesss, BC liquor store 

I've never bothered with the summer but they have some interesting stuff, check out the site and get into one sooner than later if you see anything neat 

You might get lucky with some leftover stuff, it happened today

I'll be in tomorrow for fathers day ;) 

Something new for the bbq

On 2/2/2022 at 2:46 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Delving into Tullamore Dew, this moment..another first for this whisky-newbie. It's been a hard wk of disappointments, & there's times one needs a few drinks. Yesterday polished off a cheap bottle of bourbon with another Cdn ex-pat bud..just sitting at the park, drinkin' & yakkin'. It's civilized & reasonable..but I'm sure these freedoms are forever squandered back in God's country.

Very hard to describe this flavour(the Tull Dew), but it's fairly mellow & smooth. I'd like to try a lot more of the Irish corner, but there's not much selection at the nearby shop. May have to cycle downtown Osaka & have a look around...

Not sure what it is about the Dew. The first bottle I tried. I really liked it. Second bottle I got. I was like...what did I see in this?

Maybe I need another bottle to try again.

• Cheers 1

On 6/18/2022 at 9:32 PM, Warhippy said:

If you live in the sticks and not near a  BCLC select store, how does one get their hands on these bad boys?

• 2 weeks later...

So tonight I got to A-B compare Port Charlotte with Lagavulin 16 tonight, both bottles of which I somehow now own.

Coming from not having money for much of my life... I'm... baffled... :huh:

(Although I still like Port Charlotte the most)

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1