The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you're Gillis, how much would you spend to upgrade this team for this year?

billabong

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trade prospects and picks.

Go for Stafford in Buffalo and Johansen in Columbus.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Burrows - Johansen - Stafford

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

Archibald - Richardson - Kassian

Roll lines!

That is a decent line up, I would switch Archie for weise.. Or rotate the hot hand..

Nothing. Tank this year and attain a top 15 draft pick. Drop Booth and retool for next year. Stick Horvat in 3C and Shinkaruk as a second line winger. I think the biggest piece we can afford to lose this offseason is Hamhuis. Surplus of defensive defenseman and he would be a good piece to build around a trade for a legitimate top six forward.

our team is just fine guys no need for change i might consider calling up Corrado though hes one of those very open minded dman who play for us go canucks GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it was up to me I wouldn't be trading anyone right now from our roster.. This hypothetical situation for me is trading picks and or prospects for a player that we can use to replace bo or hunter.. Just older and NHL ready. Hansen will be back soon. He will drastically improve our team when he is in full swing. Then burrows with sedin, Kesler back down to line two.. Santorelli on third.. And balance is restored. I love our line up potential as it is now.. And weise is just weise.. A 4th line NHL player in a tortorella system. Weird how just two players can change our lines so drastically. And positively

We are a older team, trading any picks or prospects is risky considering how well the West is playing. I still don't think any moves will help us this year. We need Sedin's and Kesler to step up and we desperately need our Defence to step up if we have a chance at going anywhere in the playoffs. Plus we don't have the depth other teams have and we will never get that depth by trading, not this year.

There's two ways to go about this, a Safe way and a Risky way. Detroit took the safe way by letting there rookies grow and building around them by picking up FAs. Calgary traded multiple 1st round picks(14th overall in 2012, 17th in 08 and 13th overall in 2010) and prospects (Tim Erixon) to try and get far in the playoffs, look where they are now?

It is a lot safer to to wait and package up a couple core players for a solid player at the draft then to trade away prospects and risk it for the biscuit.

Nothing. It seems like a throw away year, we have top 6 prospects coming into our line next year (Horvat, Shinkaruk) and hopefully Gaunce, Grenier, Jensen, Cassels. Gillis got some cheap, low risk signings with Santorelli, Richardson and a good waiver pickup in Stanton. It seems like he hoped for the best with these new players and with Torts running the show he expected a big boost from that too.

We aren't going to be a cup team every year, fans need to realize that. A look at our line up next year (possibly) with our much improved prospect pool:

Sedin-Burrows

Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Jensen

Booth-Gaunce-Hansen

Schroeder

Santorelli

Richardson

Sestito

Weise

Dalpe

Archibald

Welsh

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Garrison

Stanton-Bieksa

Corrado

Andersson

Tommernes

Archi, Welsh, Dalpe have played in our lineup and looked pretty decent to me. I don't even have to say anything about our forwards as you can see we have a big lineup of players ready to step in. Whether Horvat and Shink are top 6 players or not depends because if Horvat can be a 2nd line center I would go for:

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian

Burrows-Schroeder-Jensen

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Santorelli/Sestito

How much would I spend? An amount commensurate with a reasonable value to pay for whatever assets we get back. The trade has to make us better, if it doesn't - either by weakening us now or significantly for the future - then there's no point.

Nothing. It seems like a throw away year, we have top 6 prospects coming into our line next year (Horvat, Shinkaruk) and hopefully Gaunce, Grenier, Jensen, Cassels. Gillis got some cheap, low risk signings with Santorelli, Richardson and a good waiver pickup in Stanton. It seems like he hoped for the best with these new players and with Torts running the show he expected a big boost from that too.

We aren't going to be a cup team every year, fans need to realize that. A look at our line up next year (possibly) with our much improved prospect pool:

Sedin-Burrows

Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Jensen

Booth-Gaunce-Hansen

Schroeder

Santorelli

Richardson

Sestito

Weise

Dalpe

Archibald

Welsh

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Garrison

Stanton-Bieksa

Corrado

Andersson

Tommernes

Archi, Welsh, Dalpe have played in our lineup and looked pretty decent to me. I don't even have to say anything about our forwards as you can see we have a big lineup of players ready to step in. Whether Horvat and Shink are top 6 players or not depends because if Horvat can be a 2nd line center I would go for:

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian

Burrows-Schroeder-Jensen

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Santorelli/Sestito

The only forwards to outplay Santo so far this season are the Sedins and Kesler. Why the hell do you have him there? Not to mention he's 10th in faceoff winning %...

How much would I spend? An amount commensurate with a reasonable value to pay for whatever assets we get back. The trade has to make us better, if it doesn't - either by weakening us now or significantly for the future - then there's no point.

What you just said. Wish I thought of that an hour ago before i tried to make a bunch of examples that probably didn't make any sense to anyone that wasn't smoking pot with me. Haha

I'm going to bed, promised my daughter I'd make help her turn her play room into a class so she can teach her cats. They will be her students.. She really wants to be a cat teacher when she grows up. Long day at te office. No better way then spend an evening wondering how we can improve this Canucks team. Sucks that we have to wait until Sunday to play. Love this team. Even found my wife some Canucks underwear at a local sports store.

Corrado, Horvat/Gaunce, Jensen, 1st/other picks, Higgins/Hansen would all be on my potential trade block. Would move packages for contributing players that have plenty of years to go and can likely be retained for a long time.

The current core is good enough if the pieces around are adequate. The conference is tough, but with a few moves it can be done. Next year we may have some of our top prospects make the team, but they will need at least a full rookie season before they are gonna be upgrades over current players, likely longer. By that time, the twins are 35, still productive, but we are teetering on mediocrity during the transition.

Bring in a couple players now and try to win, even if we come up short, we aren't making any new roster holes. The team is 3/4 set for the next half decade.

Gillis has left this team with no cap space and no movable assets.

He should have dumped Booth ages ago but couldn't, now we have 4 million tied up in a player that brings nothing to the team.

Sorry, but gillis is probably one of the worst GMs in the league when it comes to asset management. If he had any foresight he would have packaged Schneider and Hodgson together and gotten this team a big name top 6. Instead we're stuck with no cap space and no chance to improve.

Ott is at the top of my wish list but I'm not 100% sure buf wants to trade another one of their captains but why would ott want to play on an rebuilding team so maybe he will request a trade and they will be forced to deal him...they can't let him walk

But what would the price be?

To buf: 2nd pick 2014, 2nd pick 2015

To van: ott

If Murray called for two 2nd picks last year I think ott could

Yikes....that would be a steep price to pay for a UFA to be that has 7 points in 21 games. One 2nd should be more than enough.

As long as the team can make the playoff, they can win the playoff. I would rather not sacrifice the future for immediate "help" that will probably not gonna pan out. As long as we can get in the playoff season after season, we are bound to win it sooner or later. Cannot disrespect the amount of luck needed in this game to win the Stanley Cup.

If we need an extra push to get into the playoff then go for it.

if bobby luo wins another gold medal and we go to second or third round in playoffs watch gillis trade luongo for floridas 1st rounder retaining 1.3 mill in cap his cap hit would be 4 mill for 8 yrs not to bad i actually think luo will play out the contract down south

edler for a sniper (kane, ryan, stepan)

our defense will be sick with

hamhuis corrado

garrison tanev

stanton bieska

The only forwards to outplay Santo so far this season are the Sedins and Kesler. Why the hell do you have him there? Not to mention he's 10th in faceoff winning %...

It isn't even supposed to be my lineup, and he isn't a goal scorer he is a good checker and grinder. If you really believe Santorelli has our 2nd line center is "good" and going to win us in the playoffs you are completely wrong.

He is a good energy guy but not a skilled goal scoring threat.

Gillis is gutless.

The Hawks just won a cup, again a top powerhouse team in the league and what do they do? Upgrade even more and get better mid season. Gillis still can't see the glaring need for a 2nd line with at least one top forward.

Higgins Santorelli Burrows is laughable for a 2nd line and you are going no where with that. And this is where it frustrates me why Horvat and Shinkaruk are not in the lineup.

You claim to be "all in" and contending, yet Gillis hasn't done a damn thing to address our hole and make us a contending team. So if we are a bubble team, why not use this year to get our rookies in and a full year under the belt so we are 1 year ahead for their development while we have a solid core so we can be contenders again in less than 5 years?

The way the Sharks, Bruins and Hawks are doing it, implementing their young prospects with their core players still producing. So when time comes the young players can slowly be moving up while the core players can sit in the back while still contributing. That is a smooth transition.

Not to mention the hawks had to gut losing Ladd versteeg khabby and buff yet they still won again. Canucks blew it and now we go the route of the flames until the Sedins retire. The nucks need a true no 1 d man and a true sniper

Archived