The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there ever a good time to take a penalty?

Dogbyte

Is there ever a good time to take penalty?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, an interesting topic came up during the GDT so I thought I'd put it here. A discussion between Dragonfruits and Hyzer came up and it's actually kind of interesting.

every penalty is unnecessary there is no such thing as a necessary penalty

also i am merely defending the team that i cheer for instead of being negative all day every day like a lot of you on here

Disagree. Hooking someone with a grade A scoring opportunity is much better than letting him score in the dying minutes of a tied game. Easier to play 4vs5 then down a goal.

agree to disagree yes it's better to take the penatly but im sure the goalie would love the chance to actually attempt the one time save vs multiple saves he would have to make during a pk

My coaches used to tell me if you're gonna take a penalty, at least make it worth it. 2 minutes of 4v5 is much better than a goal.

big shock that someone on the board has never played before no i haven't doesn't mean i can't have my own opnion about unnecessary penalties regardless of it taking away a scoring chance you put your team shorthanded and could give up multiple scoring chances

the logic isn't that hard to follow 1 chances vs possible multiple chances

What if there was an empty net and you could trip the guy to stop him from scoring a goal? Example: Opposition is skating toward our net with an empty net, would you trip him or let him put it in the empty net?

That's an automatic goal by NHL rules.

Just to add I know I've taken my fair share of penalties but I feel like Dragonfruits in that no penalty is good. In fact in retrospect just about all of them are bad and something else could have been done. Sometimes people take them when they run out of energy, and, or just get plain beat in a vulernable situation. You can almost sense the let down of your teammates and you know it's time to end it.

I think it's a great philosophical question though and I would love to see a team employ it. Like Dragonfruits said, the goalie sure would love a chance to save it. I've played goal a bit, I'm not sure that's true if you have a choice but it would be a cool strategy.

There are situations where the net is open wide and somebody has a shot or a break away where you know the goalie is going to get beat(Sometimes you just KNOW, or have a gut feeling as a d man, or a play can simply be an easy read)

Sometimes, its worth a hook, slash, or trip.

1. If the refs not looking ^_^

2. To prevent a goal (preventing a breakaway, grabbing the puck in the creases if the goalie is out of position, etc.)

3. Mutual penalty. Taking a better player off the ice with you.

1. If the refs not looking ^_^

2. To prevent a goal (preventing a breakaway, grabbing the puck in the creases if the goalie is out of position, etc.)

3. Mutual penalty. Taking a better player off the ice with you.

lol psuedo penalty ... if a tree fall in th...

and mutual penalty is definitely one of the best answers

The best time to take a penalty.

1) with less than 20 seconds left and you are up by a goal or more. Hack away.

2) to stop a break away provided you are parallel or in front of the forward. If you are behind forget it as they will get a penalty shot anyways.

3) some guy takes liberties with your goalie or star or smallish player ............(.unless its a minute left and you are down a goal or overtime), beat the crap out of the guy.

4) you are down 3 or more goals and you play the team the next day or are bitter rivals, chop away.

There is probably more.

As my Dad always says...

There are only 3 situations where you should take a penalty:

1) Protect yourself

2) Protect a teammate

3) Prevent a goal

Amen to that.

The worst penalties are the ones taken in your O zone where you're 200 feet from your own net, hence there was a low threat of surrendering a goal.

Archived