The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Martin Erat

I might be looking into this too much, but Erat is a healthy scratch tonight when Washington plays the Senators. We're interested in Erat and we play in Ottawa tomorrow. Am I the only one that thinks that fits in too perfectly for a trade not to happen between now and tomorrow?

maybe but I think the fact that he has been a healthy scratch this season and that WSH is looking to trade him now means they don't want to play him nor risk injuring him which would inhibit any future trade, but not necessarily with the canucks.

I might be looking into this too much, but Erat is a healthy scratch tonight when Washington plays the Senators. We're interested in Erat and we play in Ottawa tomorrow. Am I the only one that thinks that fits in too perfectly for a trade not to happen between now and tomorrow?

It'd make more sense if the Sens were playing at home since Gillis could easily sit and talk with McPhee, but they're playing in Washington. It doesn't offer Gillis a chance to see him play though with him sitting. If he has any reservations then he'd likely want to see more of him rather than hold him off in case of injury.

Washington might want to see more of Booth though if we truly are talking with them. I don't see how we offer much of anything other than Booth, so Washington would have to think he'd be a good return - certainly he'd have to be better than any other offers they're getting right now or else they walk away. They'll have to take some cap back considering how many teams are right near the limit (since they've already said they don't want to retain cap when dealing Erat) but they might wait to find a slightly more suitable offer.

Wow, Caps gave up an excellent prospect for him

I recall they announced it like 40 minutes after the trade deadline lol

I skipped a class and sat 40 minutes in the library along with the rest of the hockey world in anticipation of Washington's trade.

Did not expect them to trade away their #2 prospect and get fleeced.

I bet he would actually surprise alot of people. Kind of like how Samuelsson did.

I'd be willing to give him a shot. Honestly, can it really be any worse than with Booth?

No it couldn't be any worse, if there is a deal for cheap you take it while saying good bye to booth

Would any other team be interested in Erat anyway? If not, then a Booth for Erat swap makes sense for both teams imo.

Not many teams, if any at all, would want either player. Might as well give both of them a better chance to succeed.

Erat and Tortorella, it's like bringing a lighter to a tank full of gasoline. Rather have Booth.

I read a few different articles on the Erat situation this morning. Surprising number of commenters suggesting the Booth/Erat swap. These weren't just Canucks blogs/fans, seems to be a common suggestion from around the hockey world.

The other name coming up quite often was Michalek in Ottawa.

and you think Erat is actually worth something. Give me a freakin break. Washington better sweeten the pot for someone to actually think about taking Erat on their team.

Worth about as much as Booth is right now, which is why that's the only suggestion for who we'd trade to get him if at all. We won't get Erat and have them keep half his contract as well as give up a couple of picks by giving them back Booth at his full price.

Erat and Tortorella, it's like bringing a lighter to a tank full of gasoline. Rather have Booth.

I've heard this a few times now. Why do you think Erat and Tortorella would clash? Erat and Trotz didn't have issue, and Trotz is a pretty honest, forthright coach as well.

I'd like to give you a chance at an honest reply, but I won't hold my breath based on the quality of your posts so far.

Rather have Couts or Mathias than another euro puss.

:picard:

And we're going to give up what to get those guys? You can bet they aren't going to accept an underperforming Booth as our offer. No one's suggesting Erat as anything other than a very low cost option where we could swap him with Booth - who's been doing very little for us considering his cap hit.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Washington will not want Booth.

But if they are willing to take him, with maybe a fringe prospect (Dalpe? Rodin?) or late-round pick to even out the value, then yeah, I think it's time to try a fresh start for both players.

Worth about as much as Booth is right now, which is why that's the only suggestion for who we'd trade to get him if at all. We won't get Erat and have them keep half his contract as well as give up a couple of picks by giving them back Booth at his full price.

I've heard this a few times now. Why do you think Erat and Tortorella would clash? Erat and Trotz didn't have issue, and Trotz is a pretty honest, forthright coach as well.

I'd like to give you a chance at an honest reply, but I won't hold my breath based on the quality of your posts so far.

:picard:

And we're going to give up what to get those guys? You can bet they aren't going to accept an underperforming Booth as our offer. No one's suggesting Erat as anything other than a very low cost option where we could swap him with Booth - who's been doing very little for us considering his cap hit.

Doubt Washington wants Booth in return as they are dumping salary.

Why suggests that Erat actually worked under Trotz. How much ice-time does he get under Trotz, I would guess not much? By the way, in Nashville, does Trotz even have a choice of what forwards he could put out in the top 6? He'd probably had to just include Erat in the line-up just to fill up the roster.

Doubt Washington wants Booth in return as they are dumping salary.

Why suggests that Erat actually worked under Trotz. How much ice-time does he get under Trotz, I would guess not much? By the way, in Nashville, does Trotz even have a choice of what forwards he could put out in the top 6? He'd probably had to just include Erat in the line-up just to fill up the roster.

Well, if I had any doubts, that confirmed it. Surely you know you can easily look up what his ice time was under Trotz, and that he was one of their leading scorers every year - not to mention he was made an alternate captain when Suter left last year. To say he wasn't a reasonably key piece of the puzzle in Nashville for years is just ignorant of that situation.

And if Washington doesn't want Booth in any offer we make for Erat, then Gillis likely hasn't called McPhee back after his initial inquiry.

Why would we want an older soft player struggling to score in our top 6.

Erat's game has really fallen fast for a guy only 32. Trading Booth a guy younger with size who can provide some pushback against the big California rivals would be a horrible trade IMO. Rather we kept Raymond.

Archived