The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

^Agree with those who suggest 1.5 mill for 2 or 3 yrs. But then we'll need more top-nine muscle. Between Burrows, Higgins, & Jannik, 1 or 2 should be dealt for larger younger players.

Youth, size, grit & speed should be an emphasis in the next few trades. We've drafted some skill(to add to the twins), now surround it with the right pieces.

Probably time to part with some of the core. Santorelli is a versatile, well-conditioned & enthusiastic FREE addition. He'll need more size with him, on his line. Since he's younger, he could take the place of a core-guy.

I'd like to transition to a younger team. If we're no longer world-beaters, some guys may waive NTC's. Would like to recycle Luongo, Kesler, Higgins, Hansen(maybe), & Edler into youth. Santorelli may serve as a bridge to the next wave of centres.

Really we only need top 9 muscle because Kassian and Booth have not provided it. But yes we need it.

Fix whats broke, not what isn't.

I'm not sure I want to break up the core though. Yes put back complementary pieces that add speed, size and more dynamic skills. Maybe trade someone on the fringe, like Hansen. I would have traded Edler last summer (not because I don't like him, because he's a bit redundant and we lack a PMDt), but that ship has sailed since his NTC has kicked in.

For those thinking he is a lock to be a top 6 guy on our team... he has never scored at that rate, even in his best year. You need your 2nd line guys (if you plan on being a contender) to be in the 50-60 point range every year.

He had 41 points in his best year, and followed that up with 11 points his next year.

I like the guy, and would love for him to stay here... but on a contending team he is a 3rd liner at best.

Booth returns to form

Package him along with Hansen, Subban, and a 1st for Evander Kane

(Booth freaking loves the wilderness, Honey Badger is too small)

Sign Santo for 2 mil

Sedin Sedin Kane

Shinkaruk Horvat Kesler

Burrows Gaunce Kassian

Santorelli Richardson Higgins

Weise Sestito

Edler Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Hamhuis Stanton

Corrado

Lu

Lack

Santorelli couldn't make it with the jets the first time, why would they want him back.

No, unless it's for peanuts again.

We've gotta leave spots open for guys like Horvat, Gaunce, or Shinkaruk.

Signing third liners when we've already got an abundance of them makes no sense. We need all the cap space we can get for upgrading the top 6.

Yeah lets get rid of some of our only secondary scoring without any reliable, tested replacement. I like that idea.

Santorelli is money in the bank for us this year, he's a great 3C that can kill penalties and probably has more even strength points than Kesler, but yeah, lets not resign him we have too much secondary scoring.

At the right price, of course we should re-sign him. I'm thinking 1 to 1.5 million for a few years. Anything higher, maybe not. He could be a great chip at the trading deadline with his cap hit and numbers this year. So depending on whether we stand to make the playoffs or not, he could help us by staying or going. That's a pretty mercenary attitude towards someone who's done a lot for us and has his heart in Vancouver, so I should probably take that back, but it's probably the reality of the situation given who we have coming up through the system.

Interesting as I have thought about this too! If Mike Santorelli can continue his pace though, how much is he going to be worth as a top 6? Thus far, he is definitely producing as a top 6 forward. I thing it all depends on what he signs to be. Let's say Horvat makes the team next year. It's quite likely he will. The kid has got it! If Santorelli wants top 6 dollars, we just can't keep him. If he agrees to a bridge contract and flops between 2nd and 3rd line with Horvat, as they both develop. The better man at the end of his bridge contract, gets the top 6 role.

As it stands now, if Horvat makes the team next season (really believe he will) and if Santo signs a bridge:

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Burrows-Santorelli-Hansen

Higgins-Horvat-*Kassian

Sestito-Richardson-?

Weise*

Schroeder*

Dalpe*

Welsh*

Tanev*

I think Kassian is coming to a crossroad. He will be an RFA along with the other 5 I starred. It's coming to a point where we can package a couple of good young players for a more developed young player. People rag on Edler here and then say that he needs to be traded for 2 or 3 pieces. All we have is depth!!! I'll take talent for 500 please, Alex! A rebuilding team will gladly take a couple of young depth pieces like Dalpe, Kassian, Schroeder, and Tanev and give us a good young player. Would rather Kassian just develop into that kind of guy, but how long must the team wait for him to take that next step.

Also, if Edler somehow does get traded (which I would rather over Tanev) it will be a 1 for 1 deal.

Archived