The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

explain where he fits in our line up. Sedin Sedin Kesler. Booth Horvat Burrows. Higgins Gaunce Hansen. Archibald Richardson Kassian

Lol ok let me solve the what seems to be an unsolvable problem for you. Santorelli is back next year unless he totally tanks in the second half of the year or gets injured badly. Horvat is a stud hes here next year. Gaunce wont make the team hes bound for a year in the minors. Guy is big but his acceleration is pretty average at best. Hansen has been being outplayed by Santorelli all year. I think Kassian is the true enigma. I do think he will turn into a good second line winger but hes still a year away at least. Booth , are you serious? He had one good game in two years, and now your turfing Santorelli for him at half the price. Nuts. You are. Booth is gonzo.

More like the people who said yes have a false sense of a reality. It would be a heart warming thing to fill our roster with Santorelli's and Higgins' but that doesn't cut it at this level. He isn't good enough to be in our top six and there are better options out there for 3C, even within our organization Gaunce and/or Horvat could make a bigger impact.

False sense of reality? Your hilarious. Learn the game then get back to us. The guy has exceeded all expectations so far, even his own im guessing. He deserves a one or two year deal at a modest raise.

False sense of reality? Your hilarious. Learn the game then get back to us. The guy has exceeded all expectations so far, even his own im guessing. He deserves a one or two year deal at a modest raise.

learn what, exactly? this is a business. santorelli's a guy who was brought in as a role player. i dont see this guy being a "core member" in the future. he's just doing his thing to either, solidify his position on the team, or a candidate in a deal of sorts to be moved to a team where he can be effective.

not knocking the guy, i liked santo since day 1, was one of those dark horses, but let's be real here, we don't expect him to remain on this team long term

Good player, but it's about time our prospects take over..In the past few season's we've always signed players and had to trade away prospects because we had no room on the roster, Time we build within, which is the true 'Detroit model'.

So why exactly is everyone saying Santorelli is "nice but will be replaced"? Last I checked, he's top of the team in +- and is putting up Kesler offence on a 550k deal. But hey, if a prospect or core player can match that value, sweet!

Meanwhile, in the real world, unless he sucks for the rest of the year, we're more valuable than any of our other grinders so far.

if we're going to bring in the young guys next season, it's best to showcase a guy like santo, or even stanton for a package deal of sorts, just so that we can get something in return, and they can flourish elsewhere

Yeah we are not trading Stanton and it is hard to not re-sign Santo with how he has played. I would rather move a part of the core than those two guys, Edler, Booth and Hansen come to mind.

If we want to be a better team than we should part ways with some of the core and resign Santorelli, who like I have said, has outplayed everyone not named Sedin. Looks like the majority of the fan base wants him.

For the right price... And if the option is between him and Jordan "frodo" Schroeder I would say YES. he's outplayed all of our centre prospects, and IF horvat makes the NHL next season, santo is still a great 3rd C, or the guy Horvat looks to outplay before being handed a spot.

You know, that whole earning a spot on a 2nd line C on a contending team? That thing you mental midgets slotting Schroeder and Horvat in our 2nd line next season seem to ignore?

If he can sign before free agency for 2 years, 1.2 AAV sure.

If he hits free agency and some team is desperate enough to gamble 2.5 - 3 million we shouldn't match.

Reminds me a bit of an Anson Carter situation, except Carter was older and a consistent second line player until the year before the lock out. Santorelli is much more unproven.

13th forward? ARE YOU ???? SERIOUS

Note how I said at that price "even if" ... at the proper price (anything that wouldn't count against our salary cap if he got demoted), it doesn't matter if he maintains his current level of production.

Looking at the dude's career, he is incredibly inconsistent... basically he is Mason Raymond at centre. If you sign him for some dumb deal at $2 million per and starts crapping the bed you have just pooched yourself because he doesn't bring much to the table if he isn't scoring... he is better as a 3C than Schroeder, but not what you want in that spot.

He deserves a 1 way 2 year contract for low dollars in order to determine whether he is capable of being a regular top 6 player in the league.

Can't believe how many people aren't sold on Santo!

He's been the most consistent forward we've got. Great speed, tenacity, scoring touch.

Letting him go would be a HUGE mistake. I bet he re-signs for around $2 million per, which is a bargain for a guy who looks likely to put up a career year in points.

If our prospects want to be on this team, they'll play their way in.

None of you have actually proven why Santorelli should not be here next year. The prospect argument is a joke. Santorelli had 20 goals on a sh*t Florida team (basically 10 less than Booth but over 3M less cost) He is 4th on the team in points with 17 and 5th in goals with 6. He is on pace for 17 goals and 49 points for half a million dollars. He is the BEST 3rd line centre we have had since pre-injury Malhotra, and Santo I daresay is better than Malhotra offensively. On top of that he plays with the likes of Weise and an injury-riddled Booth (funnily enough, Booth has a slightly higher shot% than Ryan Kesler).

Give me a f**king break. You think he's a rental or something, like Roy? Roy walked because he didn't do anything for the team. Santorelli, on the other hand... He played a crucial role in bringing this team's secondary scoring to life. Without players like him, Torts would have struggled just like AV.

Only on CDC does bs like this happen.

No, unless it's for peanuts again.

We've gotta leave spots open for guys like Horvat, Gaunce, or Shinkaruk.

Signing third liners when we've already got an abundance of them makes no sense. We need all the cap space we can get for upgrading the top 6.

Thats pretty harsh.

Day in, day out he's one of the hardest working Canucks. Your not wrong in us needing a top 6 upgrade, and he's not it, But he's a perfect 3rd or 4th liner who can play 2knd line if someone is hurt (or your GM is out to lunch on other matters). Yeah, we sort of have a legion of guys like him; Hansen notably, Richardson, Burrows, you could say Higgins. I suspect he'd also take a discount to stay, and he will get signed next year the way he's played.

I'd def be signing Santo the way he works. You can trade someone above in a package for one of the upgrades we need.

Hansen has trade value. Just sayin...

Booth returns to form

Package him along with Hansen, Subban, and a 1st for Evander Kane

(Booth freaking loves the wilderness, Honey Badger is too small)

Sign Santo for 2 mil

Sedin Sedin Kane

Shinkaruk Horvat Kesler

Burrows Gaunce Kassian

Santorelli Richardson Higgins

Weise Sestito

Edler Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Hamhuis Stanton

Corrado

Lu

Lack

No, unless it's for peanuts again.

We've gotta leave spots open for guys like Horvat, Gaunce, or Shinkaruk.

Signing third liners when we've already got an abundance of them makes no sense. We need all the cap space we can get for upgrading the top 6.

Santo is a good 2C and an excellent 3C who can play everywhere. Regardless of up and comers, he frees up Kesler to take the wing or can center Horvat... GMMG would be a fool not to resign this diamond in the rough

learn what, exactly? this is a business. santorelli's a guy who was brought in as a role player. i dont see this guy being a "core member" in the future. he's just doing his thing to either, solidify his position on the team, or a candidate in a deal of sorts to be moved to a team where he can be effective.

not knocking the guy, i liked santo since day 1, was one of those dark horses, but let's be real here, we don't expect him to remain on this team long term

Learn reality maybe?

Teams like Detroit carry guys like Helm, or Kris Draper, for whole careers because they acknowledge exactly what role players like Santo bring to the table. Those guys have rings, deserved them, and helped the stars on their team get theirs!

Its not Santorelli's fault, being a perfect 4th line grinder, that the team has not seen fit to keep or replace any of its second line talent. That MG deemed Booth and Kassian as heirs to a throne. Or that he has outplayed them, so he currently gets those minutes.

Santorelli is a keeper.

Fix whats broke, not what isn't!

Lol.

Quite frankly EVERY player on this team has exceeded expectations, and that's why we're sucking so hard. We're expecting the Sedin's and Kesler to put up consistent numbers while having them play hard, long minutes every night. We're expecting 3RD liners like Santorelli, Hansen, Booth, and Higgins to fill in second line roles. If you've actually watched the Canucks this year you'd see that all of these players have one knock on them, consistency. These players provide intangibles which are nice to have on your second line, but isn't the primary focus, which is scoring.

The reason why I don't see Santo getting resigned is because I fully expect to see Kesler to take over 2C next year and one of Guance or Horvat WILL make the jump to battle for the 3C role.

Santo is a good 2C and an excellent 3C who can play everywhere. Regardless of up and comers, he frees up Kesler to take the wing or can center Horvat... GMMG would be a fool not to resign this diamond in the rough

Hey, I'm in the camp debating we should keep Santo. Look just above your post at my last one.

But Santo is getting 2C minutes because we lack a dynamic winger for the Twins, or a play making winger for Kess when he plays 2C.

I highly doubt teams fear the match up when they see his name pencilled there on the line up card. We need a guy who is threat to break the game in our favour every time they're on the ice!

He is tenacious at both fore-checking and on the boards. He wins possessions. Good on face off's. Plays sound defensively. Makes few mistakes and does not cough up the puck. Back checks. Fights for position in front of the net. Forces teams to earn their space on the ice. Chips in rebounds and taps in pucks. He does many good things. Reads and makes good simple plays... He is an awesome competitor. Those things make him a great 4th liner, perhaps 3rd although there you would like someone of the same description that is also physically dominant. But he is not a gifted stick handler, play maker or shooter.

So yes keep him, but please don't pencil him in as our solution on the 2knd line!

Archived