The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Duck Dynasty Thread

si robertson

Sorry but I don't equate lack of empathy for ignorant rednecks to be weakness.

Religious beliefs are fine but trying to instill that onto others I draw the line.

he didn't instill anything. He gave his opinion. It's a crapty opinion but that's all it is.

This story is ridiculous.

So a Grandpa from the Deep South isn't overly excited by Glee? I don't see anything out if the ordinary here. I'd say this IS progress for the LGBT community. 10 years ago the story would have involved violent crimes and horrible acts of hate.

Now this guy just makes a few off colored semi intolerant comments and the world explodes.

The road to complete tolerance is bumpy, but this seems like a good indicator on how far we've come.

the supreme irony in all of this is that "normal" people tune into shows like Duck Dynasty, Mountain Men, Swamp People, Honey Boo-Boo, etc., to get a glimpse at how the other side lives. There is, in my opinion, literally no denying that this is a totally condescending perspective in the first place ("lol, rednecks!")

but the irony and humour, for me, comes in when those "normal" people act offended by the "backwards" living of those people they're watching, when they literally tune in FOR that "backwards" spectacle in the first place

as somebody who has a pretty low tolerance for homophobia and bigotry, i think the real idiot here isn't the bigot on screen, it's the idiot who PUTS them on screen, and those individuals who tune in for the spectacle of "abnormality"

A&E should suspend themselves, really

the supreme irony in all of this is that "normal" people tune into shows like Duck Dynasty, Mountain Men, Swamp People, Honey Boo-Boo, etc., to get a glimpse at how the other side lives. There is, in my opinion, literally no denying that this is a totally condescending perspective in the first place ("lol, rednecks!")

but the irony and humour, for me, comes in when those "normal" people act offended by the "backwards" living of those people they're watching, when they literally tune in FOR that "backwards" spectacle in the first place

as somebody who has a pretty low tolerance for homophobia and bigotry, i think the real idiot here isn't the bigot on screen, it's the idiot who PUTS them on screen, and those individuals who tune in for the spectacle of "abnormality"

BRAVO.

A&E knew the type of people they were dealing with when they started the show. So why is it surprising that he spouted that opinion?

They made a ton of money off the Duck Dynasty and now they are throwing him under the bus.

I'm slow clapping the crap out of this post.

I don't get how Phil can comment on the vagina vs. man's ahole debate unless he's tried both.

And if he's tried both, um, doesn't that make him just a little bit gay?

This line of questioning should've hit him instantly.

I was going to say something similar: "Don't knock it 'til you try it."

Freedom of speech does not include hate speech, not should it. Phil Robertson is free to have his opinons and A&E is free to suspend him for being a bigot.

They asked him, he responded. He's more than entitled to his own opinion, he's entitled to his right to free speech and he's entitled in America to speak his mind like it or not.

Do not condone what he says at all, but a mans opinion is just that. His own opinion.

As a straight man I can't argue with the spirit of it, despise the ideology behind it though.

Remember, this is America people. A paid politician sat up and pouted in Congress and read green frigging eggs and ham while extholling the virtues of white christian values to spite Obama. And he was frigging applauded.

Anything coming out of that country need not be taken seriously.

I mean seriously, they call a History channel legitimate even though they only air crap about pawn shops and guys named cletus who hunt gators in the swamp.

Again, right or wrong (and boy is it wrong) his own opinion and he's entitled to it. Had they not brought it up I ams ure it wouldn't have even been mentioned

As for the show itself, how American does it get? Huntin killin accents trucks and Sunday Sunday Sunday

They asked him, he responded. He's more than entitled to his own opinion, he's entitled to his right to free speech and he's entitled in America to speak his mind like it or not.

Do not condone what he says at all, but a mans opinion is just that. His own opinion.

As a straight man I can't argue with the spirit of it, despise the ideology behind it though.

Remember, this is America people. A paid politician sat up and pouted in Congress and read green frigging eggs and ham while extholling the virtues of white christian values to spite Obama. And he was frigging applauded.

Anything coming out of that country need not be taken seriously.

I mean seriously, they call a History channel legitimate even though they only air crap about pawn shops and guys named cletus who hunt gators in the swamp.

Again, right or wrong (and boy is it wrong) his own opinion and he's entitled to it. Had they not brought it up I ams ure it wouldn't have even been mentioned

As for the show itself, how American does it get? Huntin killin accents trucks and Sunday Sunday Sunday

You do know that Ted Cruz was born in Alberta right?

Should we not take anything seriously coming out of Canada as well?

Really, how is his opinion that he doesn't agree with a homosexual lifestyle any different than a homosexual not agreeing with his lifestyle?

He gave his opinion, who cares?

If you read what he said, it is nothing news worthy other than he's famous and it was an opportunity for someone to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Sorry but I don't equate lack of empathy for ignorant rednecks to be weakness.

Religious beliefs are fine but trying to instill that onto others I draw the line.

His Master's in Education and turning down playing in the NFL for the Redskins to build a $400,000,000 empire indicates he may not be all that ignorant.

Archived