The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rainbow Gravity Theory

Buddhas Hand

Forget the Big Bang - 'Rainbow Gravity' theory suggests our universe has NO beginning and stretches out infinitely

• Claims that gravity's effect is felt differently by various wavelengths of light
  • Current belief is light will follow the same set path regardless of frequency
  • If theory is correct, it means that our universe stretches back into time infinitely with no singular point where it started

To think that our universe is 13.8 billion years old is incredible enough.

But now researchers are proposing that the universe stretches back into time infinitely with no singular point where it started.

The idea is one possible result of something known as ‘rainbow gravity’- a theory that is not widely accepted among physicists, though many say the idea is interesting.

article-2521901-1A068CCC00000578-870_634x418.jpg

The theory was proposed 10 years ago in an attempt to reconcile difference between the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

Researchers claim it highlights flaws in the Big Bang theory, which suggests the universe was born about 13.8 billion years ago when an infinitely dense point - known as a 'singularity' - exploded.

According to Einstein's general relativity, huge objects warp space-time so that anything travelling through it, such as light (regardless of its frequency), takes a curving path.

The Big Bang theory was formulated in 1922 by Alexander Friedmann.

Friedmann began with Einstein's equations of general relativity and found a solution to those equations in which the universe began in a state of high density and temperature.

article-2521901-1A068CC800000578-440_634x530.jpg

Researchers claim it highlights flaws in the Big Bang theory, which suggests the universe was born about 13.8 billion years ago when an infinitely dense point - known as a singularity - exploded

In the rainbow theory however, 'particles with different energies will actually see different space-times, different gravitational fields,’ Adel Awad of the Centre for Theoretical Physics at Zewail City of Science and Technology in Egypt told Scientific American.

Writing in the Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, researchers found two possible beginnings to the universe based on slightly different interpretations of the consequences of rainbow gravity.

One result would be that if you retrace time backward, the universe gets denser, approaching an infinite density but never quite reaching it.

In the other scenario the universe reaches an extremely high density that's finite and then plateaus.

Professor Awad claims that in both scenarios, tracing the path of matter and light in the universe will not cause us to arrive at an infinitely small point of origin, known as the Big Bang

Over the next few years, scientists plan to study gamma-ray bursts and other cosmic eventsfor signs of rainbow gravity effects.

The theory’s name comes from a suggestion that gravity's effect on the cosmos is felt differently by varying wavelengths of light, which can be found in the colours of the rainbow. The theory was proposed 10 years ago in an attempt to reconcile difference between the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

Researchers claim it highlights flaws in the Big Bang theory, which suggests the universe was born about 13.8 billion years ago when an infinitely dense point - known as a 'singularity' - exploded.

According to Einstein's general relativity, huge objects warp space-time so that anything travelling through it, such as light (regardless of its frequency), takes a curving path.

The Big Bang theory was formulated in 1922 by Alexander Friedmann.

Friedmann began with Einstein's equations of general relativity and found a solution to those equations in which the universe began in a state of high density and temperature

Over the next few years, scientists plan to study gamma-ray bursts and other cosmic events for signs of rainbow gravity effects............................. As Dr Karl just mentioned , we accept certain facts until we gather new information that blows those facts apart , the next generation of space telescopes should give us further information on this subject.

Why can't we just settle on how the universe was created. No matter how many scientists create new theories, someone will come along and disprove whatever they come up with.

Fact is We Don't Know how it was created scientifically.

Can't we just chalk it up to the big guy?

What would we even do if there was a scientific reason for the creation of the universe? Try and make another one?

It's just a popularity contest.

Why can't we just settle on how the universe was created. No matter how many scientists create new theories, someone will come along and disprove whatever they come up with.

What would we even do if there was a scientific reason for the creation of the universe? Try and make another one?

Because with that kind of attitude towards scientific discovery you wouldn't have technology available to post the ignorant blather in your post on a globally accessible, electronic message forum.

Or girl?

So it sounds like a bit of a fringe explanation to marry quantum mechanics and general relativity, but is not based on any empirical evidence yet. I'll remain skeptical until we actually do get that empirical evidence.

The Scientific Amaerican article would probably have been a better one to post. The one posted here has a lot of the hallmarks of how the mainstream media often botches science reporting

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=rainbow-gravity-universe-beginning

So it sounds like a bit of a fringe explanation to marry quantum mechanics and general relativity, but is not based on any empirical evidence yet. I'll remain skeptical until we actually do get that empirical evidence.

The Scientific Amaerican article would probably have been a better one to post. The one posted here has a lot of the hallmarks of how the mainstream media often botches science reporting

http://www.scientifi...verse-beginning

I try to keep it simple so people can at least grasp the concept, thanks for posting the link , I should have done that for people like you.

I can never take these articles about physics without a bucket of salt but then I don't understand a single word or the methodology when I try to read the original papers they are reporting results from. I feel illiterate

At your best you are a highly intelligent poster , people like you and your fella give me hope for the future.

I try to keep it simple so people can at least grasp the concept, thanks for posting the link , I should have done that for people like you.

Scientific American is still popular science for ordinary people. It's not like I suggested posting the scientific papers the articles are based on :P

Edit: and it's not like I'm sort of physicist. I don't have anything more than a rudimentary understanding of physics and just reading the abstract of papers about stuff like this makes my head hurt

Scientific American is still popular science for ordinary people. It's not like I suggested posting the scientific papers the articles are based on :P

Edit: and it's not like I'm sort of physicist. I don't have anything more than a rudimentary understanding of physics and just reading the abstract of papers about stuff like this makes my head hurt

All my life I have had to dumb it down , when I first left school one of the guys I hung out with carried a dictionary around with him to verify some of the words I used actually existed.

Mankind wouldn't have surpassed the Stone age if everyone thought like that.

That funny cause I just saw this:

http://www.nature.com/news/simulations-back-up-theory-that-universe-is-a-hologram-1.14328?utm_source=buffer&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffereee01&utm_medium=facebook

Theory the universe is a hologram...damn you sometimes crazy science trying to figuring out the universe and the origins of it :P

Archived