The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McGrattan hit on Alberts, Suspension Looming?

Okanuck

How many games?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From the Flames web site

NO NEWS ON GRATS HEARING

No news could be good news for Brian McGrattan.

The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Calgary Flames forward hasn’t heard from the National Hockey League in regards to his hit on defenceman Andrew Alberts in the first period of Sunday’s 2-0 loss to the Vancouver Canucks.

He likely doesn’t expect to, either.

“I’ve seen the hit,” McGrattan said. “It’s a shoulder-to-shoulder hit. Unfortunately he went down but my elbow wasn’t up, shoulder wasn’t up, didn’t target the head. That’s my take on it.

“I’m not a dirty player. I’ve never laid a dirty hit in my career. I don’t target heads. I don’t take cheap shots. I have respect for other players.”

Sounds like the liar Thornton. :picard:

His stick shaft which was up made contact with Alberts' face. Whether it's a high hit or not with his body, the stick contact is the kicker that created the injury to Alberts. I think it is a suspension worthy hit. 1 maybe 2 games to drive the point home - but knowing the NHL, no suspension will result.

What?

A previous poster asked that I look at the After-Hours segment featuring - McGrattan. I thought he was referring to a session that had aired in November. I was really annoyed with this segment because of all the fight-night promoting & the hyping of McGrattan's gratutitous violence in the league. My comments relate to the way CBC has been sucking-up to the BOG Chairman... by regularly promoting his violent-brand of hockey...to the masses in Canada. Starting with Rock 'em Sock 'em Bruins-fan Cherry as a HNIC fixture...& now seeing them back-pat & hype an enforcer like a WWE star. Glorifying "rule-breaking" violence just drags the game further into the realm of entertainment that's - let's say....tainted. The circus antics of HNIC is making it appear more & more ...as if the game played upon NHL ice... is no longer a legitimate sport. That's - what!

That actually does look shoulder to shoulder though, its the follow through with his hands and stick that were up high.

I'd say maybe a game as well.

How is it shoulder to shoulder when McGratton's left shoulder is in Alberts' back?

Sounds like the liar Thornton. :picard:

He's mirroring the kind of denials we hear from guys like - Duncan Keith. No accountability for the high hands & reckless use of his hockey-stick on the neck or face of his opponent. I think McGratten realizes that having a league-insider like Brian Burke in his corner...means he'll be sheltered....if he confesses to nothin. And - he's right.

A previous poster asked that I look at the After-Hours segment featuring - Mcgratten. I thought he was referring to a session aired in November. I was annoyed at that segment because of all of the fight-night promoting & hyping done off the top. My comments related to the way CBC has been sucking-up to the BOG Chairman's team by re4gularly promoting his violent brand of hockey...to the masses in Canada. Start with Rock 'em Sock 'em Bruins-fan Cherry as a HNIC fixture...& now seeing them back-pat & hype an enforcer like a WWE star. Glorifying rule-breaking violence just drags this game into a realm of entertainment that's - so tainted. It's starting to make it appear as if the game upon NHL ice... is no longer a legitimate sport. That's what.

All this gibberish aside what does that have to do with Hockeyvilles post proving anything?

All this gibberish aside what does that have to do with Hockeyvilles post proving anything?

He infered I would change my mind about McGrattan - if I saw his interview. I wasnt pissed at McGrattan ...Im ticked with the king-pins,media, DPS & the system as it is that encourages him to takes these violent liberties on his union brothers. On After-Hours, McGrattan was getting his tires pumped for doling-out violent retributions.... against NHL rules. Nothin' heroic about that. I believe McGrattan feels entitled to be violent...and powerful elements within the league encourage him in this. That's why they won't get a handle on this head-shots-thing anytime soon...there's a flood of mixed messages coming from the league's king-pins.... & a lot of ambiguity in the standards for supplimental discipline.

Did Alberts deserve mis-treatment out there last night? Was Alberts at fault for putting trust in a fellow-union-brother to respect the rules of the game & his opponents out there? That hit by McGrattan was definitely over-the-line. It should be addressed. And - if it's not...we will ALL know that the standards for players on teams with big mouth-pieces, like Brian Burke & Jeremy Jacobs.....are clearly - different.

He inferred I would change my mind about McGratten - if I saw his interview. McGratten was being being pumped-up tin that interview too continue with his violent retributions.... against NHL rules. Thats not being heroic. I believe Mcgratten feels entitled to be violent out there. Did Alberts deserve some mistreatment out there... was it Alberts fault that he put trust in a union brother to respect the rules of the game & his opponents out there. This hit was definitley over-the-line. It should be addressed as such...& if its not...we know the standards for players on teams with mouthpieces like Burke...are different.

Maybe Mcgrattan is Scottish for " I'm going to clumsily hit you in the mouth with my hands when I throw a clean shoulder to shoulder hit "

He infered I would change my mind about McGratten - if I saw his interview. McGratten was being being pumped-up tin that interview too continue with his violent retributions.... against NHL rules. Thats not being heroic. I believe Mcgratten feels entitled to be violent out there...and powerful elements of the league encourage him in this. This is why they wont get a handle on the head-shots thing anytime soon...the flood of mixed messages from league king-pins.... & the ambiguity of the standards for supplimental discipline.

Did Alberts deserve some mistreatment out there last night... was Alberts at fault that he put trust in a union brother to respect the rules of the game & the rest of his opponents out there. This hit by McGratten was definitely over-the-line. It should be addressed as such...& if its not...we will know that the standards for players on teams with mouthpieces like Brian Burke & Jeremy Jacobs.....are different.

He infered I would change my mind about McGratten - if I saw his interview. McGratten was being being pumped-up tin that interview too continue with his violent retributions.... against NHL rules. Thats not being heroic. I believe Mcgratten feels entitled to be violent out there...and powerful elements of the league encourage him in this. This is why they wont get a handle on the head-shots thing anytime soon...the flood of mixed messages from league king-pins.... & the ambiguity of the standards for supplimental discipline.

Did Alberts deserve some mistreatment out there last night... was Alberts at fault that he put trust in a union brother to respect the rules of the game & the rest of his opponents out there. This hit by McGratten was definitely over-the-line. It should be addressed as such...& if its not...we will know that the standards for players on teams with mouthpieces like Brian Burke & Jeremy Jacobs.....are different.

Sure that's fine I'm just unclear as to how her post proved it.

I'm pretty much done with all you poor me/poor us crowd. There's no talking to you people but that peaked my interest. Are you implying that a mod posting about a CBC segment is the same a Cherry being pro bruin which somehow equals some naziesque propaganda machine by CBC?

He infered I would change my mind about McGratten - if I saw his interview. I wasnt pissed at McGratten ...Im ticked with the king-pins,media, DPS & the system as it is that encourages him to takes these violent liberties on his union brothers. On After-Hours, McGratten was getting his tires pumped for dolin out violent retributions.... against NHL rules. Nothin heroic about that. I believe Mcgratten feels entitled to be violent...and powerful elements within the league encourage him in this. Thats why they wont get a handle on the head-shots thing anytime soon...there is a flood of mixed messages from the league#s king-pins.... & a lot of ambiguity in the standards for supplimental discipline.

Did Alberts deserve mistreatment out there last night... was Alberts at fault for putting trust in a union brother to respect the rules of the game & his opponents out there. The hit by McGratten was definitely over-the-line. It should be addressed...& if its not...we will all know that the standards for players on teams with mouthpieces like Brian Burke & Jeremy Jacobs.....are clearly - different.

Union brothers blah blah blah. Give it a rest.

I don't see you vilifying Sestito for fighting McGrattan. Guess what, Fighting is illegal. Why oh why can't Sestito play within the rules of the game It's a mans game, and hard hits are part of it. When someone breaks your precious rules by delivering an illegal hit, (or hooking, or tripping, or high sticking).they have to serve a penalty. McGrattan served his 5 and a game. Get over it or go watch cricket.

Sure that's fine I'm just unclear as to how her post proved it.

I'm pretty much done with all you poor me/poor us crowd. There's no talking to you people but that peaked my interest. Are you implying that a mod posting about a CBC segment is the same a Cherry being pro bruin which somehow equals some naziesque propaganda machine by CBC?

Don`t you find it odd in a Canadian hockey hot-bed...that the perennial League Chairman (Jacobs) gets to have a long-serving Bruins-fan & cheerleeder, like Rock em-Sock em Don Cherry, promoting his Bruins' brand to the entire Great White North....coast to coast for decades....& for FREE...every week AND during the play-offs?! What other team in the NHL gets a perk like this?!

Cherry is as much of a retro-fossil as Jacobs. Both are invested traditionalists who will generally fight every on-ice change in the NHL, at every turn. Where do those more-progressive GMs, owners or players get to have their opinions promoted, eh? I guess....in places like this...here on CDC....on other fan-boards, at the rinks, in living rooms, union halls, back-rooms, dressing-rooms, or in other board-rooms that are NOT being bullied, intimidated or bought-out by Jacobs' big-money, threats or power.

I'm an advocate for greater player protections & improving the NHL's game so it has a future that will still welcome the best possible athletes out there to play in it. You seem to be quite tolerant of the current NHL entertainment-package ...that's drifting towards more game management & staged on-ice violence - just like in the WWE. I dont expect to be swaying your mind. But - slams & disses won't sway me from speaking mine - either.

Archived