The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] LAK - 1/13/14 - 7:30PM

Strombone1

Torts re: Edler: "We want to try and get him into situations where he can succeed."

Head Coach John Tortorella talks about the return of Alex Edler to the Canucks lineup tonight in Los Angeles against the Kings.

Torts says they want to put Edler into situations he can be successful. Also contribute some minutes.

Hers how;

Edler plays with Tanev. Give them some offensive shifts!

Bieksa and Garrison rotate minutes with Hammer who gets double shifted.

Weber picks up some shifts spotting in when guys are spent and runs the 2knd PP.

Hammer Garrison

Edler Tanev

Hammer Bieksa

Weber

Don't try to match them physically.....there's no way we'll beat them at their own game. We need to make quick, crisp passes and wait for opportunities. Play in the middle of the ice and stay away from the boards in the offensive zone...that won't amount to anything

Funny thing; I looked at the key to today's game being how we manage LA's ferocious forecheck. I was about to post on the importance of that till i listened to Torts interview...

Torts reinforces playing our game. Also adding responsibility of the forwards. But he mentioned forechecking, not back checking as the key.

What he wants is us to win possession via fore-checking and face off's, so we do not end up on the end of that LA onslaught?

If we play the puck in their end; thats the first key!

Torts says they want to put Edler into situations he can be successful. Also contribute some minutes.

Hers how;

Edler plays with Tanev. Give them some offensive shifts!

Bieksa and Garrison rotate minutes with Hammer who gets double shifted.

Weber picks up some shifts spotting in when guys are spent and runs the 2knd PP.

Hammer Garrison

Edler Tanev

Hammer Bieksa

Weber

Funny thing; I looked at the key to today's game being how we manage LA's ferocious forecheck. I was about to post on the importance of that till i listened to Torts interview...

Torts reinforces playing our game. Also adding responsibility of the forwards. But he mentioned forechecking, not back checking as the key.

What he wants is us to win possession via fore-checking and face off's, so we do not end up on the end of that LA onslaught?

If we play the puck in their end; thats the first key!

Nice post! Love his honest answers. It's all about the minutes!

Archived