The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

trade garrison soft, week on the puck terrible first pass and can't hit the net with his slapper and doesn't hit. edler while guilty of poor coverage and a bit enigmatic he can and does hit the net with his shot, Hits hard, clears the crease and makes good first pass not to mention he doesn't serve it up like garrison does when clearing the zone. garrison has been yet another disappointment from florida. to bad everyones got NTC's

I agree with this 100%

trade garrison soft, week on the puck terrible first pass and can't hit the net with his slapper and doesn't hit. edler while guilty of poor coverage and a bit enigmatic he can and does hit the net with his shot, Hits hard, clears the crease and makes good first pass not to mention he doesn't serve it up like garrison does when clearing the zone. garrison has been yet another disappointment from florida. to bad everyones got NTC's

I agree with this 100%

O'Reilly would help for sure. For Edler...Mmm, I don't know. I do know a couple things:

1) Edler is really not doing so well under Torts. His points aren't even coming. Some discussion has to happen to find out how happy he really is here. If he isn't, he must submit a list.

2) With the circumstances we are currently in, Ryan O'Reilly would fit (or Paul Stastny). I am betting Henrik doesn't play Tuesday...:(

3) Guaranteed MG has been trying to find some way to dump some salary. Nobody is going to bite on Booth and Torts isn't seeming to give him enough rope to play himself out of this funk. If we had the salary to play with, someone would be added with alot of scoring ability.

4) MG already knows how badly the twins need a puck moving defenseman to make them a threat off the rush. One who can skate the puck in hard. It shows in their stats. It would take an idiot not to notice that. Campbell would be perfect for this team and that's pretty easy to see.

So the question is, do you write off this season and ante up next season? I think that depends on the Edler situation. Maybe just maybe AV would value Edler in New York. He is fully aware what he is capable of.

O'Reilly would help for sure. For Edler...Mmm, I don't know. I do know a couple things:

1) Edler is really not doing so well under Torts. His points aren't even coming. Some discussion has to happen to find out how happy he really is here. If he isn't, he must submit a list.

2) With the circumstances we are currently in, Ryan O'Reilly would fit (or Paul Stastny). I am betting Henrik doesn't play Tuesday...:(

3) Guaranteed MG has been trying to find some way to dump some salary. Nobody is going to bite on Booth and Torts isn't seeming to give him enough rope to play himself out of this funk. If we had the salary to play with, someone would be added with alot of scoring ability.

4) MG already knows how badly the twins need a puck moving defenseman to make them a threat off the rush. One who can skate the puck in hard. It shows in their stats. It would take an idiot not to notice that. Campbell would be perfect for this team and that's pretty easy to see.

So the question is, do you write off this season and ante up next season? I think that depends on the Edler situation. Maybe just maybe AV would value Edler in New York. He is fully aware what he is capable of.

Another season where secondary scoring has been inconsistent at best. Where would this team be without Santo? The Twins are entering that time in their careers where expectations for them should drift towards a 2nd line role. I have advocated for years that their skill set dominated Canuck thinking. The team might have developed a stronger ID if they had spent more time on different lines. Two premium puck handlers on two lines with some shooters. They have the physical conditioning for another 6 - 8 seasons.

Kesler on the other hand has not shown a 1C identity IMHO. Because of this Van would be foolish to trade pics and prospects for a CUP run that would not be serious.

Would you rather do Edler for ROR or Edler for Stasny plus a depthplayer/pick?

Edler will command a huge price. I think once Girardi et al go from the Rangers and other respective teams. By which I mean decent D men as UFA's we will see what D is worth this season.

I think Edler could command a much better return for the future than just RoR still with a different trade partner.

Edler will command a huge price. I think once Girardi et al go from the Rangers and other respective teams. By which I mean decent D men as UFA's we will see what D is worth this season.

I think Edler could command a much better return for the future than just RoR still with a different trade partner.

I'd still like to see us workout a deal with Detroit. Tatar plus a first, plus someone else. It's a better trade for the long run, but ROR would be a nice pickup.

I'm really curious to see if MG actually does anything this year?

I'd still like to see us workout a deal with Detroit. Tatar plus a first, plus someone else. It's a better trade for the long run, but ROR would be a nice pickup.

I'm really curious to see if MG actually does anything this year?

I stand by my comments about the Isles and Detroti being the best trade partner.

A solid prospect and a 1st from either team would be awesome.

Available picks

Sproul, Nyquist, Mantha

Strome, DeHaan, Reinhart

And a pick from either team this or next year could be top 20, or even in the Isles event a top 10 or....lottery win

All of the aforementioned prospects will help this team within a season or sooner and all would fill significant areas we need help in.

It's no surprise if you have followed Alex Edler since he broke into the NHL.

He's been paired up with Ohlund/Salo for most of his career, two veteran defenseman with a strong defensive game.

For the most part, he's been never assigned the toughest defensive assignments under A.V.

That has gone too Mitchell/Bieksa then Hamhuis/Bieksa then Hamhuis/Garrison. This year he leads the team in highest QoC and is struggling.

That's not to say he's bad. He's extremely effective in that 2nd pairing role. He's a 45pt defenseman, but isn't capable of going head to head agaisn't top lines.. Unless his partner was like Chara/Suter or some elite defenseman.

Please tell me when he has "proven" to be a top pairing D-man.

I'm not talking trash, I'm lowering the expectations on this guy. One guy said it best. He's making 5m. 400k more then Bieksa/Garrison and 500k more then Hamhuis. You shouldn't expect him to be a #1 PP QB + Shutdown defenseman.

Edler has been struggling for 2 years+ now... I'm not the only one who says it, lots of Canucks fans do as well.

If I was Colorado, I'd target Despres (there are rumours of a McGinn for Despres deal) or maybe Kulikov from Florida. I wouldn't trade ROR for Edler, hell no. Ship Stastny out if absolutely needed, but you gotta keep ROR/Duchene/Landeskog/MacKinnon... Thats your core 4 upfront.

I think Despres would be the PERFECT fit. Big, strong skater with a good defensive game and mean-streak. Doesn't bring the offense, but the Avs could target MDZ as well and acquire him much cheaper. Hell, the price of Despres and MDZ would be cheaper then Edler and more beneficial.

YOu over rate Stanton hugely.

He's a bottom pairing d-man, the type you can find on waivers quite regularly.

Oh I agree he's been a decent find, but he's getting sheltered minutes, and likely will never be a top 4 pairing type guy.

Colorado likely won't trade ROR, and if they do it will be for the best d-man they can find. it won't be for a collection of stuff.

He may be a bottom pairing dman (on this team) but he was playing as well as anyone defensively before he went down. He was even in many people conversations for Calder top 10. So, no he is not someone you find on waivers regularily, not even close. He may have been playing sheltered but he was also playing as Bieksas partner, and that in itself is a big responsibility.

It's no surprise if you have followed Alex Edler since he broke into the NHL.

He's been paired up with Ohlund/Salo for most of his career, two veteran defenseman with a strong defensive game.

For the most part, he's been never assigned the toughest defensive assignments under A.V.

That has gone too Mitchell/Bieksa then Hamhuis/Bieksa then Hamhuis/Garrison. This year he leads the team in highest QoC and is struggling.

That's not to say he's bad. He's extremely effective in that 2nd pairing role. He's a 45pt defenseman, but isn't capable of going head to head agaisn't top lines.. Unless his partner was like Chara/Suter or some elite defenseman.

Please tell me when he has "proven" to be a top pairing D-man.

I'm not talking trash, I'm lowering the expectations on this guy. One guy said it best. He's making 5m. 400k more then Bieksa/Garrison and 500k more then Hamhuis. You shouldn't expect him to be a #1 PP QB + Shutdown defenseman.

Edler has been struggling for 2 years+ now... I'm not the only one who says it, lots of Canucks fans do as well.

If I was Colorado, I'd target Despres (there are rumours of a McGinn for Despres deal) or maybe Kulikov from Florida. I wouldn't trade ROR for Edler, hell no. Ship Stastny out if absolutely needed, but you gotta keep ROR/Duchene/Landeskog/MacKinnon... Thats your core 4 upfront.

I think Despres would be the PERFECT fit. Big, strong skater with a good defensive game and mean-streak. Doesn't bring the offense, but the Avs could target MDZ as well and acquire him much cheaper. Hell, the price of Despres and MDZ would be cheaper then Edler and more beneficial.

Wasn't happy to read this; but it's hard to argue!

Edler seems like the most logical piece in that trade, even if I think COL needs to add something solid to go with that to make it work. Out of the two, Edler is clearly has the better value, 'steady' success and contract. We'd be the ones taking the big chance.

COL won't add anything Ryan O'Reilly is already a great two way player and is only 22, so he still has a ton of potential. If there's anyone going to be adding anything it will be us first. If COL adds anything it will be a top 6 Dman, probably Sarich, in order to make room for Edler.

I like the 1 for 1, but Hansen is worth about as much as Buff with salary and contract factored in. I would want them to pay 40% of his salary for us to take him on.

They wouldent take that they would be able to move him and be done...Much rather making a move for Wheeler anyway then Buff...Cares a lot more about winning

The chances or Garrison waiving his NTC I find pretty much zero. of the top 4 with NTC's I think Edler is the only one who would waive it to be traded.

I don't see why we would get rid of Garrison, he has done well here. Garrison has just has been paired with Edler when we were healthy, even still now. Stanton was with Bieksa and Tanev was with Hamhuis, Garry must of got the short end of the stick playing with Edler.

Edler with any defenseman currently on our team has been a bad pairing defensively.

They wouldent take that they would be able to move him and be done...Much rather making a move for Wheeler anyway then Buff...Cares a lot more about winning

We need Buff more than Wheeler. The reason why we are well off our scoring pace is mainly because of our struggled pp. Buff can play on first unit pp on the right side. Garrison can play on the other side.

We need Buff more than Wheeler. The reason why we are well off our scoring pace is mainly because of our struggled pp. Buff can play on first unit pp on the right side. Garrison can play on the other side.

If we brought Buff in he wouldn't be playing the point, he'd be parked in front of the goalie and saying good luck to defencemen trying to move him.

Sedin - Sedin - Byfuglien

Kesler - Garrison

Archived