The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So where do we go from here?

5Fivehole0

Honestly the one player the Canucks could trade and get a really young good bonafide prospect for is Ryan Kesler.

I am not against it but he really is their only asset right now that would bring back a big return.

The Preds got Fillip Forsberg for Martin Erat and an AHL'er last spring.

Kesler would be a supreme overpayment for that type of prospect.

Honestly the one player the Canucks could trade and get a really young good bonafide prospect for is Ryan Kesler.

I am not against it but he really is their only asset right now that would bring back a big return.

I suspect there are teams that would trade for Tanev as well.

This has to be the worst road trip ever...

1 Goal for

11 goals against

162 minutes in penalties

3 key injuries.

Actually, I'll agree with that assessment. I was a fan through the dark days of the 80's and the late 90's and this is one of the worst road trip performances I have ever seen the team turn in. Between the results (lost to two struggling teams and embarrassed ourselves against a contender), the penalties and the injuries, it is just all around bad.

I don't see the cause for optimism that others seem to see. Our core is obviously in rapid decline, and while we have some prospects, even if they do pan out, they are a few years away from being solid NHL starters. I don't think a blockbuster trade is going to save us because I don't think one or two players are going to fix this team.

I say we continue to limp along, and then find some teams that are willing to overpay at the trade deadline for some of our veteran talent. Unload some more in the off-season. Blow up this team and let's get a fresh start with some of the young talent we have in the system.

Actually, I'll agree with that assessment. I was a fan through the dark days of the 80's and the late 90's and this is one of the worst road trip performances I have ever seen the team turn in. Between the results (lost to two struggling teams and embarrassed ourselves against a contender), the penalties and the injuries, it is just all around bad.

I don't see the cause for optimism that others seem to see. Our core is obviously in rapid decline, and while we have some prospects, even if they do pan out, they are a few years away from being solid NHL starters. I don't think a blockbuster trade is going to save us because I don't think one or two players are going to fix this team.

I say we continue to limp along, and then find some teams that are willing to overpay at the trade deadline for some of our veteran talent. Unload some more in the off-season. Blow up this team and let's get a fresh start with some of the young talent we have in the system.

This is why I'd love to see Kane or O'Reilly come here. Both are at that perfect age where they can help now, and still be a big part of our future going forward. Our prospects need good players to play with or we'll become the Oilers.

It took me a while but I'm finally in the "I hope we miss the playoffs/tank" boat. We just arent good enough to do anything good in the playoffs right now, as our players are playing right now, and with no trade happening, we just simply aren't playing well enough/aren't good enough to even get past the first round. That being said, next year we could be miles and miles better if the right moves are made, UFA's signed, prospects making the lineup, dead weight shedded, we could be a real contender next year. So unless we make a trade and our players start actually playing like they can, I think its best we miss the playoffs, not only to get a good prospect but also to show our window licking management that changes really are needed.

This is why I'd love to see Kane or O'Reilly come here. Both are at that perfect age where they can help now, and still be a big part of our future going forward. Our prospects need good players to play with or we'll become the Oilers.

we've actually became Calgary....except instead of holding on to Iggy & Kipper for waaaay to long, our version of Feaster(Gillis) signed the sedins to huge contracts for their twilight years. Thus Rewarding them

For what they've done not what they will do at age 36/37 & rendering them untradeable.

we've actually became Calgary....except instead of holding on to Iggy & Kipper for waaaay to long, our version of Feaster(Gillis) signed the sedins to huge contracts for their twilight years. Thus Rewarding them

For what they've done not what they will do at age 36/37 & rendering them untradeable.

I'm not sure how tradeable they were anyway. Not from a talent perspective, but if you were going to make a deal, you'd really have to take BOTH of them. Tough to do that in a cap world while putting together a package we'd like. I don't have a problem with keeping them around to show the kids how to be professionals like Linden did for them.

We just need to bring in a GM who's not afraid to ask someone to waive a NTC.

Tank like we should have been. Throw away one season for a top tier prospect. It's not to late. Next season come bag full swing.

Yeah, the reality is we had a good run, were a great team for a long time but we need to retool. We might squeak into the playoffs but we can't beat a team in the pacific. Short term pain for long term success!

We weren't as good as we looked in December and aren't as bad as we're looking right now. If the injuries Henrik, Santorelli and Booth took last night are medium- to long-term, then we will have no choice but to give Kassian and Schroeder bigger roles and see if they respond, which isn't the worst thing. If they contribute and we still make the playoffs, then we know we have some decent talent coming up between the current core and the kids still in Junior. If they don't and we tank, we hopefully get higher draft picks and come back next year. NTCs are going to make trading the "dead wood" difficult, particularly on defense. I'm okay with moving Hansen (much as I like him) but if Tanev goes we need to get something significant back. Kesler would probably still bring a big return, and while it might make sense, Gillis won't do it. We're going to have to ride this one out, I'm afraid, and the Calgary risk is there unless we get a radical new GM.

Archived