The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Suspended 6 Games

Strombone1

How much does Torts lose in wages for his suspension ?

1 site reports his Salary at 2million yearly.

If this was true, and IF the penalty breaks 2 million over 82 games, removing 6 from that method would cost Torts $146,341.

Sounds big, but making 2 mil yearly over a 5 year contract.

Drop - in - the - hat. "A lil bit less to charity yearly" his wife is thinking.

If this was true, and IF the penalty breaks 2 million over 82 games, removing 6 from that method would cost Torts $146,341.

Whatever it is Aquilini will pay it anyway.

Who said I'm crying? I watch for the same reason people watch and support the WWE. It's entertaining. The NHL crossed the line from sport to sports entertainment a long time ago. Doesn't mean it isn't fun to watch.

Newsflash, all sports have bad officiating.

Whatever it is Aquilini will pay it anyway.

Exactly.

I have a feeling the Canucks Brass will support their man through this, and pony up for his losses.

Again this could have been worse, Im satisfied with Sullivan taking the reigns for 6 games, he is more than qualified.

I still say let Henrik sub in as Asst Coach :)

"So in 1982, Harry Neale is suspended for 10 games and Canucks make the finals. Foreshadowing anyone?"

- you apparently live in a dream world... where logic doesn't exist.

- although Torts was an idiot... I agree that Shanahan is more inconsistent than a drunk with a hangover. His rulings are so bad they make those of a U.S. president make sense.

It's embarrassing that a guy who runs the show can have a kid playing in the game. Conflict of interest?

So what, because his dad works in the NHL office he shouldn't be allowed to play the game he has worked his whole life on to achieve his childhood dream of playing it professionally? And it's not like Gregory Campbell isn't worthy of playing in the NHL, guy is a great 4th line centreman and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat. I usually think you are a pretty well thought out poster, but no offence that comment is naive and dumb.

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC 9m

So, it's four per-cent of his yearly wage, probably around $50,000 more than Hartley got today.

Friedman thinks otherwise, but I have no clue what Torts true salary is.

So what, because his dad works in the NHL office he shouldn't be allowed to play the game he has worked his whole life on to achieve his childhood dream of playing it professionally? And it's not like Gregory Campbell isn't worthy of playing in the NHL, guy is a great 4th line centreman and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat. I usually think you are a pretty well thought out poster, but no offence that comment is naive and dumb.

She didn't say Gregory shouldn't be allowed to play. She's saying his fathers impartiality in his position is called into question because of his son.

I think 6 is a good number.....sends a message to coaches and players, but isn't over the top either.

In the end the whole situation is unfortunate and I hope JT understands that he is not bigger than the players that play the game. I get that he is an emotional guy, but he has to be the example for the guys on the bench and when he loses his cool, and his focus it sends the wrong message to the players.

I know people think he was standing up for his players, and I suppose putting his 4th line out can be seen that way. However, the rst of it was pure self indulgence with a guy that JT has a long, tumultuous history with. Did Hartley do it to bait JT? Of course he did and he more than succeeded in his mission. JT could not control himself and let his personal feelings for Hartley cloud his judgement. Hartley is not to blame for this as he made a move knowing JT would probably lose his focus and explode. It's unfortunate, for the team, that Hartley was playing chess while JT was playing checkers.

Lesson learned hopefully. However, there are two fully capable coaches to take over in JT's absence and hopefully the team responds in kind, as they are on the precipice of losing this season.

Since he is not allowed contact with the team during his suspension, perhaps a good time for him to spend scouting Utica to see how his farm team is progressing (assuming that is permitted). That way he can get a first hand opinion on players with potential for call up (Jensen et al).

This is a very good question, can anyone provide clarification on this??

How pathetic is it for Campbell to claim the incident was an "embarrassment to the league". The NHL is an embarrassment all on their own. Campbell must have been hit on the head one too many times when he toiled on the Canucks blue-line back in the day.

The irony in your post is that you completely whiffed on the point. The point wasn't that Gregory Campbell shouldn't be playing in the NHL. You're throwing around comments like "naive and dumb", yet you've failed to grasp what was being said. The post fairly clearly questioned whether Colin Campbell should have the position he does, not whether his son has earned a spot on an NHL roster.

Colin was in the conflict of interest, not his kid.

As soon as his kid reached the NHL the guy that dictates what refs can play what games and get the big playoff money should have been removed from that position,

Friedman thinks otherwise, but I have no clue what Torts true salary is.

He is assuming Torts makes 1mil yearly, which would work to 75k (50k above Hartley fine).

Its hard to find any accurate information on Actual Coach salaries, like I said I only found 1 source online with stated 2mil yearly over a 5 year contract. I would expect 1-3mil for a coach with Tortorella's experience.

I dont think Im far off, but I guess only Torts will really know :P

Fun fact:

The last time the Canucks and Flames faced the Flames McGratton took a run at Alberts in his first shift, a couple minutes into the game, throwing an elbow and concussing Alberts. He got 5 minutes for it and no subsequent discipline.

This time Hartley lines him up off the opening faceoff with Westgarth taking the draw lol - both of whom drop their gloves immediately upon puck drop.

It's all Torts' fault.

BTW, thanks to the CBC and all the other professional 'analysts' for providing context and background in the matter.

Archived