The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Suspended 6 Games

Strombone1

At this point it is either, or. Either the league is purposefully choosing to target the Canucks with exorbitant punishments while turning a blind eye to other team's shenanigans or they really do have their heads permanantly shoe-horned up their asses.

Flames have precedence in this situation. Hartley sent McGratten to start **** in the first shift last game and what happens? He concusses Alberts. Does the league even acknowledge McGratten exists? No.

This whole situation is on the league. What do they expect Torts to do when a bottom-feeding, scrub, flu-shot line jumping, wannabe Edmonton, hack POS team is trying to assassinate his players who actually have a shot at winning something and the league does N O T H I N G ? Eff the NHL and their BS.

He forced the league to act the minute he took the altercation off ice. I actually think the league got this one pretty close to right: fine for Hartley for the line up and the suspension for Torts for the actions on the intermission.

Cherry just tweeted that the biggest mistake torts made was not starting kassian instead of Lain at the start. Lol.

I think Torts wanted to keep one more weapon like that in the game just in case. Kass does a pretty good job of keeping other teams at bay.

I disagree. Hanzal physically assaulted three players in one game, injuring one, received a useless fine of $5,000. Torts loses his cool for good reason and loses what I'd estimate to be 10-12 times the coin. Santorelli is injured thanks to Hanzal. Is Hartley hurt?

There are a myriad of bad/mysterious/ inexplicable discipline decisions around player's on ice infractions. But, this happens to every team. I am sure over the last five years there are plenty examples of where other teams feels the Canucks got away with something or the suspension wasn't enough. Yes, it's inconsistent and the league needs to fix it but is just don't see conclusive evidence that this is just a vancouver thing.

I also don't think it's possible to equate something like an on ice slash by a player to off ice actions by a coach. They just are too different to compare directly.

There are a myriad of bad/mysterious/ inexplicable discipline decisions around player's on ice infractions. But, this happens to every team. I am sure over the last five years there are plenty examples of where other teams feels the Canucks got away with something or the suspension wasn't enough. Yes, it's inconsistent and the league needs to fix it but is just don't see conclusive evidence that this is just a vancouver thing.

I also don't think it's possible to equate something like an on ice slash by a player to off ice actions by a coach. They just are too different to compare directly.

Fair enough, Quoted. It's always a pleasure to discuss hockey with you.

Fair enough, Quoted. It's always a pleasure to discuss hockey with you.

Cheers. To be fair others may see bias and it may be there to some degree as the Canucks do have some history. I just don't see it personally.

I truly believe that the league needs to get some fresh blood in and revamp a lot of these processes. There are too many old school NHLers in the head office that are resistant to change (same with the NHLPA really). They need a pretty serious make over if they don't want to fall even further down the ladder of respectable professional sports.

Any discussion that doesn't end with a Picard face palm or "haters gunna hate" is a good one.

Cheers. To be fair others may see bias and it may be there to some degree as the Canucks do have some history. I just don't see it personally.

I truly believe that the league needs to get some fresh blood in and revamp a lot of these processes. There are too many old school NHLers in the head office that are resistant to change (same with the NHLPA really). They need a pretty serious make over if they don't want to fall even further down the ladder of respectable professional sports.

Any discussion that doesn't end with a Picard face palm or "haters gunna hate" is a good one.

I tend to agree for the most part that there isn't any specific-to-Vancouver conspiracy. The officiating, supplementary discipline etc is an inconsistent mess league wide. Vancouver might get the short end of that stick slightly more often than not but I don't think that's proof of a conspiracy, just more proof that the entire league/system is an inconsistent piece of @#$%.

I mean if you look at the Roy incident earlier this year and this and the two disparate punishments, I don't know how you could argue there isn't a complete lack of consistency and accountability in this league.

You say this, but the league is probably looking at our club saying, "is there another club that has caused this league the bad press or embarassment Vancouver has over the last 30 years?".

The flying elbow from Bure to McRae's head.

The court case where two owners claimed the club was sold to them.

Bertuzzi / Moore.

Burrows biting incident.

The current Torts episode.

Multiple Stanley Cup Riots.

I know we look in the mirror and think we're golden and the whole world is against us, but can you name a franchise that has a worse history for incidents over the same time frame?

Bruins, Flyers, Habs

Brush up on your history

The most maddening aspect in the NHL as of late, is the brutal inconsistency in both the officiating and supplementary discipline. There is no line in the sand. It keeps moving back and forth. I ask why.

Is it based on the team? Is it based on the player? How can one ref miss an infraction happening right in front of him, and another ref call a penalty from across the rink?

How does Alex Edler get pinned with a three game suspension for his "hit" on Hertl, but both McGrattan and Hanzal essentially get away with intentionally injuring players? (A $5,000 fine to an NHL player is pointless and teaches them nothing.)

Bettman and his team of leeches are dragging this league down. It's a matter of when, not if, there will be a player who will not walk away from their injury.

I tend to agree for the most part that there isn't any specific-to-Vancouver conspiracy. The officiating, supplementary discipline etc is an inconsistent mess league wide. Vancouver might get the short end of that stick slightly more often than not but I don't think that's proof of a conspiracy, just more proof that the entire league/system is an inconsistent piece of @#$%.

I mean if you look at the Roy incident earlier this year and this and the two disparate punishments, I don't know how you could argue there isn't a complete lack of consistency and accountability in this league.

And why when the antics in this game hit the press so many casual or non- hockey fans merely shrugged and said " see, what a stupid league". Why the NHL doesn't seem concerned that they are becoming a laughing stock is beyond me.

The most maddening aspect in the NHL as of late, is the brutal inconsistency in both the officiating and supplementary discipline. There is no line in the sand. It keeps moving back and forth. I ask why.

Is it based on the team? Is it based on the player? How can one ref miss an infraction happening right in front of him, and another ref call a penalty from across the rink?

How does Alex Edler get pinned with a three game suspension for his "hit" on Hertl, but both McGrattan and Hanzal essentially get away with intentionally injuring players? (A $5,000 fine to an NHL player is pointless and teaches them nothing.)

Bettman and his team of leeches are dragging this league down. It's a matter of when, not if, there will be a player who will not walk away from their injury.

I suspect that's part of the problem - there are no very clear guidelines to follow. To be fair, every incident is different, but the rulings are all over the place. One thing that's maddening is that though injury isn't supposed to factor in, it does sometimes for sure. Pick a lane on this stuff!

Game is run by dinosaurs. It's not just us but we're one of the teams it doesn't work out for. We are supposed to be the meek team that gets beat by hard workers. We go off that script and we get penalized for it. LA is a known for "playing with an edge" for the exact same style. Philly is still thought of as the Bullies and many teams are treated as unwanted hanger-on's as the O-6 are the only teams with any true validity

And why when the antics in this game hit the press so many casual or non- hockey fans merely shrugged and said " see, what a stupid league". Why the NHL doesn't seem concerned that they are becoming a laughing stock is beyond me.

Yeah you'd think they'd care about the public image of the league and actually treat the problem, not medicate the symptoms.

Cherry just tweeted that the biggest mistake torts made was not starting kassian instead of Lain at the start. Lol.

Every blue moon Cherry says something I can appreciate.

I appreciate the sentiment but I have to disagree and I also have to disagree with Torts second guessing himself.

Kassian is certainly proving to be an effective deterrent - and yes, I get the point (he may have done some damage to whomever he squared off with - but in the end, I don't blame any player on the Flames roster one iota, and I don't want to see guys like McGratton or Westgarth having to pay the price day in day out for Hartley's caveman show). It's becoming exceedingly clear that players are very reluctant to mess with Kassian - aside from what he did to Eager, guys like Phaneuf, O'Brien etc have openly refused invitations to answer the bell in situations where a lot of gloves were being dropped.

Neverthless, I don't want to see Kassian in an enforcer-like role - I think he needs to pick his spots and really limit the risks he takes - because he's simply proving to be too valuable a skilled player, with such a rare balance of attributes to focus too much on that role. It's not a worthwhile tradeoff to lose him in exchange for Westgarth. I think in circumstances like that, the team needs a player like Weise to step in and clutch and grab their way to the box if necessary - and dressing a pair of enforcers (or even having multiple enforcers on the roster) isn't practical on a club that wants to actually compete.

As obvious as Calgary's intentions were, I don't think it was predictable that the entire line would be ejected from the game - and even in hindsight. Lain having to leave his first game seconds after puck drop is the stuff of legend. He's already a fan favorite and has gained the love of his team-mates.

The entire NHL is an old boys club. Rewarding former players with positions that dictate the outcome of games, series, and careers, is not the way this league should be run. Since Shanahan has retired, the game has sped up, players are larger, and all while playing on the same ice surface. Meanwhile, the officiating, as many of us are pointing out is getting more and more inconsistent. Suspendible infractions are then handed over to Shanahan, who more often than not, has dropped the ball. What becomes more confusing is when you hear team officials or even players talking to the press about how difficult a job Shanahan has, and how well he does it.

The two infractions that stand out most for me are Edlers suspension, and McGrattan, not even getting a phone call. Inconsistency at its best.

If the NHL wanted were serious about disciplinary credibility, they wouldn't have an ex-player leading the department the metes out discipline - they'd have an independent third party, ie a professional arbitrator/official in that position - and they wouldn't have a guy with a history of interest like Colin Campbell sitting above. There is a reason why governance requires separations of power in certain contexts, and the NHL resists/defies evolution in this respect.

Archived